Shocking knocks,knocking shocks

Amchlolor

Reaction score
Those of you who've experienced the faulty rear shock problem can assist,hopefully.

My April 2005 sportback's back left suspension suffers from quite a loud knocking,but only over quite bad roads (badly broken surfaces,sharp bumps).

I do not get any knocking at any other times.

Did you ?

If I hadn't read about the faulty shocks on here I probably wouldn't think much of it but my 'paranoia' won't let it lie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I didn't think an April 2005 car could have the faulty shocks though,or have I misread the situation ?

They might have run out of updated suspension and stuck an old one on? I thought they'd sorted it as well, but you can never discount these things...

Reminds me of the R32's and the DSG suspension!!

Cheers for the info
It's booked in to get the auto-lock switched off so I'm going to mention the knocking as well.
Slightly worried they report it's normal,as it makes quite a racket over my commuting route (which is a ****** awful road,admittedly).

Hang on, it's not your rubber balls that hang under the parcel shelf is it? They bang around sometimes against the side trim...

No,I've eliminated everything from my daughter's seat to the shelf etc.

It's definitely the suspension itself.

Potholes don't seem to bother it much,but broken surfaces make it knock like hell (especially when cornering and the knocking wheel is light),like something is loose/broken.

My 3 year old A4 had zero noise over the same surface,so I'm sure there's a fault.

Dealer has acknowledged there's a known problem with the shocks,which was nice to hear as I expected to have to tell them !

Has anyone noticed the noise thats made when coming to a halt from a fast(ish) speed. I get like a bang from the rear as and when a stop. Is this the same problem as decribed above? Mines a 3dr March 2005 model tho... any comments would be gratefully recieved.

LOL

Audi have just driven my A3 back into my drive..

It needed 2 new rear shocks and a rear light cluster !

It had rattling rear shocks from day 1 ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif