2.0 FSI Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Location

jlawie

Reaction score
Right....this has got me confused as hell!! Been having issues with my gauge and random misfires....so replacing both the sensors seemed a logical start.

However....I thought there were 2 separate sensors for the coolant.

1-Coolant Sensor - Sends a signal to the ECU (has 4 wires)
2-Coolant Sender - Sends a signal to the dash gauge (has 2 wires)

Well not according to Audi there isn't. Apparently there is just one located in thermostat housing that covers both?!?!

Can anyone clarify this? And post a link of which one I need please :)

Cheers!

1 on the rad or there abouts
and 1 at the back of the engine

Which ones which though mate?

I found the one at the top of the rad....but it also only had 2 wires coming out of it?!?

It was a the top right (look at the front on the car), near the air box.

Cheers.

you need to change the 1 at the back of the engine

the CTS prob green 2 pin is at the back of the engine on a 2.0FSI
the stat is on the right as you look at the car ?
you need the 1 at the back hard to see put a pic of your engine up and ill point out where to look

Thermo is on the right on the engine block tucked down above the gearbox.

2007-audi-a3-22_460x0w.jpg

According to Audi.....my car only has 1 sensor. The one bolted into the side of the Thermostat :S

Replaced the sensor.....still randomly misfires!!!!

Confused as hell now :(

How do you take the engine cover off? Did you replace the sensor on the right hand side of the engine?

This is a little walk through I did on another site for the 2.0T FSI. Most elements should be the same. Might help someone here.

Parts required:
1. 06A919501A 2pin temp sensor
2. N90316802 O-Ring
3. Retaining Clip (Can re-use old one, but worth getting a new one just in case you break it)
4. G12 Coolant

1. Remove intake/engine cover
2. Take off coolant reservoir cap (de-pressurises the coolant system a little im told)
3. Locate temp sensor on right side of engine block
4. Put your fingers around the side of the sensor about half way down it towards the engine block and
push the retaining clip off the sensor towards the engine bay firewall.
5. Have the new temp sensor with O-ring on it ready to install in one hand and pull out the old temp sensor with the other.
Coolant will pour out everywhere as soon as you pull out the sensor.
6. Hopefully at this point the old O-ring comes out with the sensor you're replacing. Mine didn't and I had to fumble around to find it with coolant going everywhere.
7. Install new sensor and secure in place with new retaining clip
8. Take plug off old sensor with a flat head screwdriver. Clip into place on the new sensor.
9. Top up with coolant, reinstall intake/engine cover and clear fault codes if you have them (I didnt).
You're working on this side of the engine

20121124_161616.jpg

Sensor in centre of picture.
20121124_163059.jpg

Old Temp Sensor, retaining clip & o-ring
20121124_165330.jpg

Reactions: dk1234
Thermo is on the right on the engine block tucked down above the gearbox.

2007-audi-a3-22_460x0w.jpg

I have this engine cover , it seems only the black trim with the 2.0 FSI comes off. Which doesn't improve what you can see on the right. Looking it looks like there isn't a engine coolant temperature sensor there? could it be different for 2.0 fsi cars with the above engine type?

Heres some pics, I was wondering if the thing in the third picture could possibly be it? I don't think it is though, but not sure

Click on the pic for bigger copy to pop up

IMG 20130414 153157IMG 20130414 153219IMG 20130414 153215

Looks like it to me (the two wires going into a plug at the centre of the photo).

Check part numbers however, as the one I posted was for the 2.0T FSI (AXX).

Hi, did you manage to change this sensor? I have same issue and problem finding sensor! Was this the correct sensor?

Thanks, Nathan

Hi, did you manage to change this sensor? I have same issue and problem finding sensor! Was this the correct sensor?

Thanks, Nathan

No, I haven't managed it yet. I've believe I've located it but it looks tricky to get to, it's on the right hand side of the engine if you are facing the car. I'm trying to workout how to remove the air filter box and the battery holder case so that it is easier to get to. I don't want to break anything you see and it's hard finding any guides for the 2.0 fsi engine that I have.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...warning-still-displaying-dis.html#post1878122
I've posted in this thread aswell where I've taken some pics. If anyone can break down how to remove the airbox it would be greatly appreciated. I'm worried about the big pipe.

Cheers, I actually did mine today. I only had to remove the battery and the plastic battery side covers. I was then able to reach the sensor (Just). Ended up with a few grazes on the arms but managed it. I tied a piece of sting to the old clip and pulled it off, was easier than doing it with my fingers. Old sensor came out easily. Lost about half a pint of coolant. The new grey 2 pin sensor was a bit tricky to get aligned but once in place the new clip slid on easily. Tested the car and I no longer have any problems with hot starting! Saved a few quid on Audi labour charges!

Forgot to say make sure you have your Radio Code before disconnecting battery. Also when you reconnect your battery your traction control light will be on. Don't worry it will reset when you drive the car. I'm not sure if this sensor will cure the dodgy gauge? I thought this sensor was just for fuelling? Correct me anyone if I am wrong?

Pic I took by putting my phone between the battery and the engine (more towards the back of the engine).
ctspicture3.jpg

I've been doing some more research and now I'm starting to get worried about if that is the coolant temperature sensor or if it's something else?

i found this information from a ElsaWin guide for one of the coolant temperature sensors for my car 2.0 fsi.

Coolant temperature sender -G62-
The coolant temperature sender -G62- is located at the coolant connection on the cylinder head (left-side).
–Carefully unlock and unplug 2-pin connector -arrow-.

tapatalk1369139139397.jpg

The picture that I took I posted first in this post are from the right hand side of the engine if you are facing the car (pics taken from between the engine and car battery). The bit I bolded above and the diagram confuses me and makes me think that maybe I'm going after the wrong sensor, maybe that thing I took a picture off is a sensor for something else, any ideas? If it's not the sensor than I won't bother wasting my time taking of the air box and battery holder only to find out it's the wrong thing.

Do you think that diagram and my picture matches up ? I really want to get this sorted but I want to know how to do it myself incase it ever happens again.

Yes that photo is the sensor. It's definitely the coolant sensor as when you remove it coolant pores out. Its a grey 2 pin sensor. It's on the right hand side of the engine block as you look at it from the front between the engine and battery. You have located it now you have the job of changing it.

You won't need to remove the air box, only the battery and the battery plastic side walls.

You won't need to remove the air box, only the battery and the battery plastic side walls.

Thanks very much for your help. That's good to know I'm aiming for the right place lol. That's even better if I don't have to take of the air box and the whole battery casing. I thought the battery case was one big peice of plastic that the battery fitted into, hopefully mine is the same as yours and the sides can be detached aswell.

nice one mate.

Ok I managed to change it. Really glad that i didn't have to remove the air box. I don't get the coolant warning message anymore so that seems to be my problem sorted. Cheers for all the help

Are the sensors always 2-pin. I've heard that they were superseded by a 4 pin green one. Are they interchangeable. I have a 2.0 FSi BLX engine.

Are the sensors always 2-pin. I've heard that they were superseded by a 4 pin green one. Are they interchangeable. I have a 2.0 FSi BLX engine.
Turns out when I managed to get my hands down to the sensor and pull off the clip it is a grey 2-pin.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 10,199
i want to change coolant temperature sensor as well but i am worry about that whole water will come out on the electronics cables.

i want to bleed it first and then change it but i do not know how to bleed the whole water.

any one has any idea ?

its Audi A3 1.6 2010

Attachments

• IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 6,592
1 on the rad or there abouts
and 1 at the back of the engine
Would you know how many sensors their are on a Audi A3 2008 and where they are located? Please help