Viper Smartstart Remote start Released in the UK - Who's Buying One ?

J.R.

"Started From The Bottom"
VCDS Map User
Reaction score

This has just been released in the UK :rockwoot: after being in the U.S. for a couple of years ....

www.SecureMyCar.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC isn't it illegal to start your car without being in the car..? Sounds stupid, but swear i've heard that somwhere.

Leaving an engine running whilst not in it is known as quitting I believe. Legal if on your own property. Illegal if not.

Reactions: L1ARR
Apparently just after the video stops this guy ran from behind a bush a nicked the car -----> LINK

Is it just me who doesn't see the point in being able to start your car from inside your house etc??

Ive had this on my A3 for about year and half now. Great in the winter and sunshine (I have feature to sense temp in car, so start it up its its roasting).

Cars fully locked and system cuts out if doors are opened (not via remote) and/or brake pedal is touched without key in ignition. Also turns off after ten minutes.

Got mine from Caraudiosecurity.com for about £800 all fitted, but I beleive mine was the first they fitted and so they needed extra harnesses that weren't quoted

Reactions: mozza1202
Would be pretty cool, a mate of mine used to have the old Clifford remote start. Cool to warm the car up in the winter and still have it locked etc. Also pretty cool to see the faces of people walking past it as you remote start it... ha ha

Apparently just after the video stops this guy ran from behind a bush a nicked the car -----> LINK

Is it just me who doesn't see the point in being able to start your car from inside your house etc??

lol

The only point I see is too have a Warm or Cool Cabin for the Summer and Winter months .......

£800.......excuse me while I go patch up my head from where I fell over. Thats alot of dosh just so your car can be warm when you get in it. Good mod though but not for me at that kinda price.

lol

The only point I see is too have a Warm or Cool Cabin for the Summer and Winter months .......

Thing is aren't you supposed to drive your car straight away when starting up from cold, rather than letting it sit there with the engine running to warm up?

Last edited:
Thing is aren't you supposed to drive your car straight away when starting up from cold, rather than letting it sit there with the engine running to warm up?

Are you saying that will F*** up the engine ?

£800! Blimey. Are you Alan Sugar?

I'll stick to putting a coat on in the winter I think.

yh thats what they say, the reason behind it is something to do with a possible thief will try to break in to take the car as it is started. that being said people leave the keys in the ignition in winter to warm the cars up and those are more likely to get nicked.

I had the remote start from Clifford installed on my old Ford focus a few years back and never had a problem... used to be lovely going to the car on a freezing cold winters morning and jumping into a toasty warm car with the seats all heated up for me.

the Viper system seems fairly slow to respond to the commands from the iphone which i guess is understandable as its going over the GSM network.

Right so i spoke to a nice guy at SecureMyCar named Anthony who said if there are a few of us here interested in this system then he might be able to do a decent discount on them for us. He didnt go into numbers for discount as he would need to figure out the prices for discounts but he did give me the break down on how it works...

so firstly you would need a Viper security alarm system that is SmartStart compatible as a base, then the SmartStart module would be fitted on top to allow the remote start from mobiles. The module also has a tracker feature built into it so its much more than a basic gimmick.

now the costs he gave me for a standard install are not cheap but here it is. (all prices include the mobile fitting service)
the base alarm system needed - £450
the 2 pager fobs - £60 (i think)
the SmartStart module - £400

now while i was on the phone to him i asked whether the system could be activated from the Standard Audi key fob and he said yes it can all be done! there are 2 options to this...
1. basic alarm system in the car activated/deactivated with the audi key fob -
£450 (alarm system)
£85 (for the canbus module)

2. Alarm system with remote engine start activated all from the Audi key fob -
£450 (alarm system)
£85 (for the canbus module)
£100 (canbus remote start)

you can then at a later date add the SmartStart unit to allow the remote start/tracker etc all to work from iphone

Now also on top of cost for the SmartStart module there is a £45 a year subscription that needs to be paid but it still works out a hell of a piece of kit for a lot lower cost than a normal alarm and tracker with subscription included.

If anyone has any other questions you can contact Anthony on sales@securemycar.co.uk or just call him 01772 440019

Don't quote me on it but I'm sure I heard that said a in a good few places. I think it even says it in our owners manual.

Have also seen this before. Meant to drive off once started and not leave it to idle. Can't remember the reasoning for the life of me though.

The idea is, oil warms up quicker in a moving car than it does just sat idling at a standstill. You don't want to hammer any car with cold, thicker oil anyway and that is why you let it get to temperature first. Not water temp, the oil temp up.
That is all it is. No mythical reasons that I know of, nothing will go bang whilst cold as long as you stay off boost and drive normally until the oil is warm. Sitting at tick over takes ages for the oil to warm up compared to driving. Besides that, it is all about CO and emissions, blah, blah, blah.
EDIT: Suffice to say I was an anal mofo in my Subaru watching the superb Defi BF gauge for my oil temp until that was at its operating temp and then it used to get some! LOL.
Don't just come off a thrash either and just turn the car off and walk away. Try and drive normally for a bit to allow things to cool off as much as they can in a couple of miles before turning off. Allows the oil to get cooler, engine, turbo, etc.

I suspect it's because you are not generating any cylinder pressure so you won't get good ring seal. This will cause contaminants to derade your oil prematurely.

Also at idle speed, the oil pressure relief valve is closed because the oil pump isn't spinning fast and so isn't generating much pressure.

The effect is there isn't a lot of flow of oil around the engine and what is flowing is thick and gloopy because it's cold.

In short, yes you are supposed to drive off and put the car under load.

If you want the car to heat quickly, put every electrical load on you can, air con, main beams, window demister, cigarette lighter as these all stress the engine without you having to drive faster.

Just spoke to Anthony on the phone and am having one fitted to the GTR along with a nice shiny new alarm to secure things further!

I suspect it's because you are not generating any cylinder pressure so you won't get good ring seal. This will cause contaminants to derade your oil prematurely.

Also at idle speed, the oil pressure relief valve is closed because the oil pump isn't spinning fast and so isn't generating much pressure.

The effect is there isn't a lot of flow of oil around the engine and what is flowing is thick and gloopy because it's cold...
This!

From what I remember (I left mechanics behind 30 years ago) cold oil doesn't circulate as well when the engine is idling and that causes premature bore & piston ring wear - leading to piston slap & blue smoke! driving around helps to 'splash' oil up the cylinder bores to lubricate the rings better & so cause less wear.

Thats consistent with what I've always thought.

Last edited:
Adam, good going on getting the kit! Are you getting the remote start with SmartStart? Let us know how it gets on.
As for the engine issues I don't think leaving the engine running for a few minutes before driving it would do that much damage would it?

In my 2012 S3, if I start the engine and leave to idle my DIS gives me an "economy tip" to not leave the engine idling to warm up.

Adam, good going on getting the kit! Are you getting the remote start with SmartStart? Let us know how it gets on.
As for the engine issues I don't think leaving the engine running for a few minutes before driving it would do that much damage would it?

I've gone for the full kit with smart start yes. I live on my iphone, so don't see the point of not getting it. I also went with the gps one. I am having an additional alarm fitted, which I wasn't keen on, but it works out hardly any more expensive than having the starter module.

Must say I am really impressed with the knowledge anthony displayed in answering my questions, and it gives me confidence to see he's done several GTRs already.

He's also going to check ont he work someone did before and fit another security device I've not got round to installing yet.

It's a big deal for me, because most of my gtr drving is 5 miles to and from work. It just gets up to temp when I am outisde my office, so I hardly get to use its performance. This will make a big difference.

Shame the warm up of interior side of things won't be used as I have the audi for winter use.

I've had a couple of these in the past on older cars ... They can be great in the winter to warm/defrost the car and showing off in the works car park and they often have turbo-timer options to leave the engine running once the key is removed ... My experience is that on older cars with aftermarket or less sophisticated immobilizers the devices can be installed easily and cheaply as they can wired to bypass the immobiliser to start the car but you still need the key to drive the car. They have failsafe options, if you wire/activate them, for brake pedal and gearstick to prevent the car being started/stopped in gear or when the brake is on etc.

I had a Starbo unit from Japan on one of my cars which was fully integrated into the OEM immobilizer and then I bought one from the states (which I still have) for about $70 which I used on a car for a few years - you need to know what you are doing automotive wiring wise though ! I wouldn't imagine the cheaper US ones would work with an ECU/RF based immobilizer hence why an Audi compatible unit would be expensive unless you disabled the immobilizer with VAGCOM (I think you can do this ?).

Not fussed with them anymore as I am not a fan of turbo-timers which are unecessary and I don't mind getting my hands cold now and again in the winter when defrosting the car ...

Martin

I've gone for the full kit with smart start yes. I live on my iphone, so don't see the point of not getting it. I also went with the gps one. I am having an additional alarm fitted, which I wasn't keen on, but it works out hardly any more expensive than having the starter module.

Must say I am really impressed with the knowledge anthony displayed in answering my questions, and it gives me confidence to see he's done several GTRs already.

He's also going to check ont he work someone did before and fit another security device I've not got round to installing yet.

It's a big deal for me, because most of my gtr drving is 5 miles to and from work. It just gets up to temp when I am outisde my office, so I hardly get to use its performance. This will make a big difference.

Shame the warm up of interior side of things won't be used as I have the audi for winter use.

correct me if i'm wrong, Its one thing pre warming your engine. This does not mean the cars ready to drive hard? although the engine oils up to temp your transmission and drivetrain are still cold, as in the oil in the gearbox/4wd system?

the cars should never be driven hard from start, regardless of how long you leave the engine running. driving about 5 mins nicely and then flooring it is much better as you know by that time the oils have got around and the engine cooling system is working properly (valves open where need be)

this system is perfect however for warming up the car in winter and defrosting it. i always see people in winter go outside and leave the engines on so that the windscreen can be defrosted and then they watch their cars from their front doors with a hot cuppa in their hands... with the remote start you dont need to watch it like a hawk.

it is a very expensive convenience option... but what better for our expensive cars?

On the gtr there's a transmission oil temperature and pressure display, as well as both for engine oil toy (I said it was great for toys). There is a pump on the whole time the engine is running. The transmission oil does heat up regardless of whether or not the car is being driven as the drive input to the haldex clutch is spinning int he same fluid even when the output is not.

In the gtr which is mainly rwd, the transmission is at the back of the car, so it is this gear box - which receives most of the torque most of the time that you will know in advance to be warmed up before booting it.

That said, I'd have at least one minute of normal driving before getting to a suitable road for hammering.

Also bear in mind that hammering in a GTR should only be considered a relative term. Mine is mildly modified to what they call stage 4 and has a measly 630bhp. In my GTR, that equates to 0-62 with a perfect start in less than 2.7 and 100 in under 6.5 seconds. You can't really hammer a gtr on anything less than a race track if you value life and license - which I do!

On the gtr there's a transmission oil temperature and pressure display, as well as both for engine oil toy (I said it was great for toys). There is a pump on the whole time the engine is running. The transmission oil does heat up regardless of whether or not the car is being driven as the drive input to the haldex clutch is spinning int he same fluid even when the output is not.

In the gtr which is mainly rwd, the transmission is at the back of the car, so it is this gear box - which receives most of the torque most of the time that you will know in advance to be warmed up before booting it.

That said, I'd have at least one minute of normal driving before getting to a suitable road for hammering.

Also bear in mind that hammering in a GTR should only be considered a relative term. Mine is mildly modified to what they call stage 4 and has a measly 630bhp. In my GTR, that equates to 0-62 with a perfect start in less than 2.7 and 100 in under 6.5 seconds. You can't really hammer a gtr on anything less than a race track if you value life and license - which I do!

can i have a go!? :drool:

Back to the subject at hand.

The alarm system is pretty under specced.

You need to add glass break, tilt sensor and dual zone proximity sensor.

I am also a fraction concerned about reading somewhere on the website that the immobiliser defeat requires a hidden spare key to be kept in the car with a remote aerial that selectively bypasses the immobiliser and commutes the transponder signal to where it is required.

If that's still the case, there's no way I'd be putting it on my car and I suspect my insurance (which I've been told to check) would be voided. On speaking to another friend (I'll be chatting to Anthony at securemycar.co.uk tonight) this type of immobiliser bypass is very old, and is probably still on the website because it may be required with some older alarm systems, but is unlikely to be required now.

Last edited:
all remote start systems have to have the immo chip from 1 of the keys inserted into the bypass system to start the car. that being said the auto cutoff is very good so no one can steal the car without the keys in the ignition. personally i wouldnt worry about it as the alarms themselves are very sensitive and will not allow the car to be driven even if the car is remotely started.

also the insurance companies hate remote engine start systems... but then again what do they like? its all about the money and premiums nowadays

Thanks for that.

Spoken with Anthony, and although I can't speak for the A3 solution, the GTR solution does NOT require a spare key/transponder chip to remain in the car.

That's a huge relief for me.

My insurance company confirmed they have no issue with remote start which is nice.

btw. forgot to answer before, but strictly speaking, it is actually illegal to sit in your car stationary with the car running if unhindered by traffic. I only know this because I heard Ken Livingstone when he was mayor answer a radio complaint about a bus depot leaving their engines running at silly times during the night.