If you get a puncture...

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Having just been sorting out my car ready for my trip to Austria on Sunday I have made a small discovery that may be useful to others.

My A3 has the dreaded 'space saver' spare, so to counter the possible of a puncture crossing France on Sunday when all the garages and tyre depots are closed and having to cover hundreds of miles on a space saver at 50 mph, I have purchased a new steel wheel and a matching tyre.

I was looking for some kind of plastic bin liner or similar to put the wheel and tyre in so that I could carry it behind the passenger seat - no room in the boot for the journey there and back because of the luggage. None of the bags I could buy were big enough.

But in the foam holder inside the space saver Audi have provided a large clear thick plastic bag for just that purpose. Very thoughtfull.

Yes I do have one of those, but again you are supposed to remain below 50 mph. As you say they can be useful to get you out of an emergency situation until you can safely change the wheel.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I do have one of those, but again you are supposed to remain below 50 mph. As you say they can be useful to get you out of an emergency situation until you can safely change the wheel.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Have a good trip.

I'd been warned against using things like that, as when the tyre is punctured, there is a chance that the structure of the tyre may be damaged, hence why you should always change the wheel and get it checked.

I remember seeing (possibly in an AA or Which report) that using tyre weld foams, whilst getting you out of the problem initially, created so much mess inside the tyre that it was not possible to repair the puncture and the tyre would need to be replaced. Is this really the case now, as I have the space saver and was wondering whether to go down this route as another option.

Thanks.

Or next time you change your tyres got for the run flat ones... saving you from having to stop at all...!!

[ QUOTE ]
Or next time you change your tyres got for the run flat ones... saving you from having to stop at all...!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read that run flat tyres are very hard and therefore give an uncomfortable ride (so to speak /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and lots of road noise.

Is this the case, or it is a myth?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read that run flat tyres are very hard and therefore give an uncomfortable ride (so to speak /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and lots of road noise.

Is this the case, or it is a myth?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not got any experience myself, but all recent BMW's that are fitted with run flats as std. seem to get slagged for this trait.

If you use tyre weld on a tyre it can't be fixed. Some run flat tyres also need specialsit machinery to replace them and I'm not sure if you can repair them?

Yeah I have expeirenced two punctures lately. One I picked up early, but the first one it took me a while to register as I was on a motorway and everything seemed fine. Anyway that time the tyre was utterly destroyed inside. The one I picked up early was completely fine and I managed to get it repaired for £15. The replacement was £150 +

Thanks for the tip Dave - how much was your spare steel wheel and tyre? I guess you just got something basic?

[ QUOTE ]
An alternative to the tyre weld stuff is to buy a proper repair kit and compressor to reinflate the tyre. All you have to do is locate the puncture, drill out the hole to the specified size (using a supplied bradawl) and insert a rubber plug which is glued in place. I have used a bike tyre repaired like this at full speed, but presume the same can be done for car tyres?

[/ QUOTE ]
IIRC you have to use a plug/patch (mushroom type) so you have to take tyre off rim and repair from inside.

Hi djoblong

Sorry I've not replied earlier but I've been on holiday in Austria for the past 2 weeks.

My A3 is an SE so I purchased a 6.5J x 16 steel wheel (part no 1K0601027A03C) from my dealer for £42.59 +vat and my new typre (Dunlop SP Sport 01 - 205/55 R16) cost me £94.00 including vat, fitting and balancing etc.

Fortunately no punctures in the total of 2700 miles of the holiday, but personally I think it's good insurance.