Phone mount for car - where do you put yours?

Beans

Reaction score
Just thought I'd throw this out there - where do you put your mobile phone mount in your car (if you do)? Mine needs to be near the cig lighter for charging, and viewable as I use the sat nav on my phone...

Don't do what I did and put it on the vents... It broke one of the vents had to go into Audi and get a new one done. Then put it on the other vent (drivers side) and one of the clips on the mount broke! Which went in to the fans and now every time I switch off my AC I can hear it!
sooooo... Now! I just put my phone (iPhone) in my ashtray when using the Tom Tom app!

I have a Tomtom bracket for my iphone 4 and have it mounted in landscape orientation at the bottom of the windscreen, so that the two cables from it are neatly down the left hand side of the instrument cluster. This way the power cable can reach the 12v socket and the audio cable lays up the side of my seat and into the AUX-in port with minimal clutter and more importantly doesn't obscure my view.

Having it in the centre means Mrs H can access it from the LH seat (if allowed!!) Failing that for you right handed folk, it can sit to the right of the instrument cluster with cables laid neatly over the steering column.

I will post a pic if requested.

I have a brodit mount in my car the holds my iphone in perfect reach and perfect view when i am using the tomtom app. I will be selling it this week if anyone wants it as i need to change it for a version without the charger cable coming out the back as i now have a Pioneer app mode cable that needs to be connected.

Here is what it looks like:

fcda4227.jpg

4c7f809b.jpg

Well, on my old car I actually glued a folder to the dash board - as I used it every time I got in the car. I let them have the phone holder when I sold it! Lol.

I've also had those that stick to the windscreen, however the vibrate far too much.

The big problem is getting a cable to the cig lighter, as it's quite a distance in the A3 from the dash. I might get someone to wire one in somewhere.

As for the vents, the previous owner has already broke one of the flaps! But I knew that before buying the car.

the one i have has the usb wire that comes out of the back of it and connects to the cig lighter area with some extra spare wire, i have hidden it under the gear stick area so it cannot be seen.

I use a Brodit Active holder. Hardwired in behind the glovebox. I despise wires!

Excuse the mess and random junk.

20120521_212318.jpg

I have a Galaxy Note, so pretty big! Quickly ruled out the vent locations, and right side of stereo due to sheer size.
Would have liked the brace mount, by gearstick, but again, my phone was too big, wouldnt have been able to slide it in.

Edit : Wow the flash / lighting really makes my dash look blueish, and terrible match for facia. Isnt as noticable to the naked eye.
Also going to kill my gf for all that mud!

With that odd yellow thing in the sky today I popped my Oakley's (with polaroid lenses) on and as odd as the aforementioned the screen on my iphone was green!!! So spun the phone to portrait orientation and the screen looked as it should. So I now have the phone in the Tomtom bracket upright rather than on its side. Also makes the cables a little neater too.

I will take a photo tomorrow as I need decent light to take a pic with iPad and i've driven to Oxford and back today so somewhat shattered.

As promised. My iPhone Tomtom bracket and wiring positioning. If this was my only mode of transport, the wires would be hidden as well as possible but as I need hire cars on occasions at work, I need to be able to take it all with me.
47ef268a.jpg

41cbe3de.jpg

aceab63f.jpg

eb626359.jpg

ba0a1631.jpg

50227483.jpg

Helifella... Not liking the wiring mess there

N8 I have my iPod in the glovebox that has all the music. The iPhone is full enough without my music and I use it as my tomtom and I like to be able to see any messages I get. If the phone was in the glovebox It would probably annoy me more to reach in and plug in the iPhone every time.

I see what your saying, I just deal with texts when I get out the car (shudn't use it whilst your driving anyway) :laugh:

But the AMI is perfect for music and have SDS/Bluetooth for phone calls, best of both IMO.

I agree Ash, just not sure how better to route them to still ensure easy removal. Any suggestions?

I have my works Nokia paired to the car's BT, so only use the Nav / music on the Apple (but the holder does give handsfree and boosts GPS lock / strength).

I have a brodit mount in my car the holds my iphone in perfect reach and perfect view when i am using the tomtom app. I will be selling it this week if anyone wants it as i need to change it for a version without the charger cable coming out the back as i now have a Pioneer app mode cable that needs to be connected.

Here is what it looks like:

fcda4227.jpg

4c7f809b.jpg

Hi,

Just a quick question about the brodit phone holders, does the swivel allow the phone to be rotated 90 degrees? You did mention that you used the phone for the Tom Tom app, but I just wanted to confirm. All the web sites I have visited that sell these just copy and paste the same info from the brodit site, which just says tilt and swivel 22 degrees.

Love your mods by the way, like the brushed foot rest.

Cheers

AL

Mines built in my armrest.. But i dunno how to use it :-C

Getting ideas here
like the idea of having one of those brodit holders

I have a brodit in mine that I modified, I will try to get some pics up. It sits neatly in front of the drivers vent, its hard to explain, it looks so much better than having it stuck in the middle of the car though and it sits up high enough to allow me to use the GPS on my iPhone.

I will get a pic up when I get a minute.

I need to get a car holder for my Nexus 4, but there dont seem to be many options available at the moment. I like the look of the Brodit kits and apparantely they are in the process of making one for the Nexus 4, not sure I can wait that long though.

If I had a Brodit with a built in charger, how couldit be hardwired behind the glove box like mentioned above? would it be connected to the battery directly?

I have a Brodit that clips over the vent (not touching the flaps) and the stereo, but I upgraded my headunit to a Pioneer w\ Parrot Bluetooth & SatNav, so most of the time my phone stays in my pocket playing music\calls via BT, & the Brodit stays in the glovebox until my phone needs a charge, then it plugs into a cable (hidden down beside the knee panel) connected directly to the H\U.

I have my brodit on the drivers vent using the proclip and i brought a 12v socket and tapped into the fusebox behind the headlight switch its easy to see for navigation as I use a galaxy s3.

I have my brodit on the drivers vent using the proclip and i brought a 12v socket and tapped into the fusebox behind the headlight switch its easy to see for navigation as I use a galaxy s3.

Does it block the vent, what happens when you use aircon, heater etc? I like the thought of putting one one the vent on the right hand side of the streering wheel.

I leave it open and pointing towards the drivers window and seems fine. I will see if I can get a photo for you. It does block the vent a little but I dont miss it tbh

I bought one of these. Placed metal strip inside the phone under the cover and made a small metal bracket that the magnet is stuck to. The clip then slips in between the top of the radio and dash. Can be angled to face driver.
Works a treat for phone GPS, not obscured by steering wheel nor blocks air vents, plus its never fallen off.

MAGNETIC MAGNET UNIVERSAL CAR HOLDER MOBILE PHONE IPOD | eBay

I leave it open and pointing towards the drivers window and seems fine. I will see if I can get a photo for you. It does block the vent a little but I dont miss it tbh

yeah, I wouldnt mind seeing a picture. Was it simple to wire it to the fuse box by the light switch?

In my pocket. I hate clutter, cables and mounting kits in the car or on the dash.

In my pocket. I hate clutter, cables and mounting kits in the car or on the dash.

I take it you don't use a sat nav on your phone, thats the main reason I would buy a holder, plus charging is a bonus.

No, never needed too with RNS-E, and RNS-D in previous car.

I have an "emergency" USB car charger in the glovebox, but in practice, the iPhone sits in a charging dock when i get home every night, so rarely have an issue with charging.