Where do i jack my car up from!?

Sheikh

Reaction score
Quick question, i wanted to do an oil and filter change on my car. But i have no idea where to jack the front of the car up from?

Thanks

Zo

I tried looking for them before, but i didn't want to damage anything. Might just pop over to audi and get them rubber jacking points.

if your too scared to jack your own car up because you may cause damage, then your best off not working on your car.

It's not about being too scared, it's just not really clear where to jack these cars up from and the last thing i want to do is cause damage to the sills etc. I had an e46 before and that was a piece of cake to work on.

Personally i would go and get yourself the s3 jacking pads, one of the best mods ive done on my a3 and you never risk any damage to your sills again

Why not buy some car ramps? I've been jacking up my car, but I'm not happy about getting underneath it until I put loads of wood to stop it falling if the jack were to fail.

i just drive mine onto blocks of wood :)

here are the blocks being abused when doing a brake line change on a 106 :)

P9160060.jpg

You jack it up on the lip, it should be farly worn because of the age of your car. It fits right into the jack

I use a trolley jack on the sill lip and it's fine, my pad has a sponge wrapped in a t-shirt on it(tip from a garage) so its very soft, as soon as it's up in the air it's straight onto axle stands (not on the sills)

I'll stick some photos up at the weekend when I jack mine up again, both the front and rear can be jacked up with a trolley jack without any damage with out the 4 point jacking pads.
Also the sill jack supplied with your car can be positioned so it doesn't damage your sill when jacking.

if your too scared to jack your own car up because you may cause damage, then your best off not working on your car.

It's not that but the A3's sills are made of cheese and a trolley jack damages the sill even if you use the mark arrow area. I've never a known a car to be so awkward just to get in the air to work on!

What the S3 jackpads? I was going to by an ice puck and grind a groove out of it to use on the jack.

Dont use the scissor jack to chage oil and filter! You would not catch me with my head under any car jacket up on that! Trolley jack and axel stands all the way!

It's not that but the A3's sills are made of cheese and a trolley jack damages the sill even if you use the mark arrow area. I've never a known a car to be so awkward just to get in the air to work on!

What the S3 jackpads? I was going to by an ice puck and grind a groove out of it to use on the jack.

The jacking points indicated are not designed for a Trolley Jack, only for use with the supplied Audi Sill jack

I gathered that after it started to bend a bit! But nobody in their right minds uses a scissor jack to lift the car unless in an emergency, so without the S3 jack pads you can't use a trolley jack on it?

After deciding to have a wheel clean and a swap round, I thought i'd photo the points where I jack mine up using a trolly jack.
Both points are solid chassis mounts and fine for jacking :sm4:
Front:

Rear

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of threads have covered this, I have yet to find a simple answer:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/114676-jacking-up-a3.html

Audi S3 jacking points added to my car :)

Fourtitude.com - DIY - Jack Pads

Long story short regarding these rubber jacking points.......

"OFFICIAL VW word: Just went to see a friend at the dealership. He showed me a memo regarding these pads. As the update says, they are to be used when lifting the entire vehicle using a floor lift. When used all together, they distribute the weight of the vehicle and don't cause harm. But if you use on at a time, you are putting too much weight on one point and will bend the floor pan. Think about it this way, one pad would be attempting to lift at least half the car.The two jack pads are to be used when lifting the vehicle using a floor jack. Then place a jack stand on the frame rail."

Lots of people seem to use these points, not seen an addition to a thread where there has been a definative problem using them.

For me, I am steering clear as it does maks sence.
I use a trolley jack with a wider surface area (about 6" in diameter) and this spreads weight out so I am able to use this on the sills in the identified position without them bending them. Have had the car up loads and loads and is fine.

As for the scissor jack. Unless it is an absolute emergency dont even bother taking it out of the boot.

It feels a bit like manufacturuers make it just a bit mroe difficult than it should be to jack cars up these days, BMW also don't make it easy to find structurally sound jacking points outside of the sills. I presume it's to force the causal DIYer to book it in ratehr than risk unintended damge.

I'm talking about soeone who is capable of doing oil/filter changes but doesn't have the skill to take the head off. If you're wary of where to jack the car up it's probably just enough to make you not do it...

I don't know if I'm just getting old, but it seemed so much easier when I was in my late teens/early 20's...