AH FabricationsEM Tuning
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    108

    Hpi check - mileage discrepancy

    Evening all, well today I went to see an A3 Sportback that I want to buy at an independent VW/Audi dealer, I looked over the car, drove it and got a great deal on my car for PX. All well and good I agreed to buy it.

    Got home and just for peace of mind I did a HPI check, this through up one problem....

    Alert Details

    National Mileage Register

    The mileage reading you have entered is inconsistent with other data currently held on the National Mileage register.

    Mileages as recorded by the National Mileage Register

    Date recorded Recorded by Mileage reading Total
    02-Oct-2010 DVLA 26,000 26,000
    18-Oct-2010 NMR 27,165 27,165
    19-Oct-2010 NMR 27,165 27,165
    24-Mar-2012 NMR 28,630 28,630
    11-Apr-2012 DVLA 287,000 287,000


    Surely this is a mess up by DVLA? Can i get this rectified? I am not sure I want to take the car with this blemish on it's record!!

    The car has had one service in 2009 at 20k and it currently sits on just under 29k.

    Any help/advice is appreciated!

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,599
    Yep looks like a DVLA mess up - I'm guessing the 11th April mileage should be 28,700

  4. #3
    mjr901's Avatar
    S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    In The Sticks....
    Posts
    2,612
    Somebody with fat fingers for sure!!
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

  5. #4
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    108
    My thoughts exactly, however should I let this put me off buying this car, or can I get it rectified?

  6. #5
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,599
    i wouldnt let it put me off - when it comes service time or mot time the mileage will be updated anyway to the current figure .. you could try ringing dvla but im sure the current owner will be allowed to do this

  7. #6
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    108
    I'm also a little skeptical that the car has only covered around 2k miles in a 18 month period? Am I being paranoid without reason??

    I checked on the MOT register website and the car has had two MOT's in it's lifetime, here are the details...

    Date of test:27/10/2010Certificate issued (Pass)
    Odometer reading:27,093 Miles
    Test number:260290500312
    Test station name:MOTORCARE (MOT & SERVICE CENTRE) LTD
    Test station number:V105349
    Test station telephone number:01753 520350
    Test class:IV
    Test expiry date:26/10/2011
    No Advisory Notice issued


    Date of test:25/11/2011Certificate issued (Pass)
    Odometer reading:28,367 Miles
    Test number:236869521318
    Test station name:SHIPLAKE MOTORS
    Test station number:62027
    Test station telephone number:01189403125
    Test class:IV
    Test expiry date:24/11/2012

    Please provide some reassurance lol

  8. #7
    TDiTom
    Guest
    Is the car only 5 years old? Ie only has needed 2 MOT's? Does the interior reflect the age? ie seats not sagged, pedals rubber in good condition etc?

    If it looks new chances are it is. DVLA error for sure.

  9. #8
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    760
    It wouldn't worry me. You can fix the mileage issue no problem, and just make sure give the car at least an oil and filter change when you get it, and it should be fine.
    Looking for the right A4 Quattro. 1.9 TDI / 1.8T or 2.0T...
    My A4:http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b8-chassis/125399-my-brief.html



  10. #9
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by TDiTom View Post
    Is the car only 5 years old? Ie only has needed 2 MOT's? Does the interior reflect the age? ie seats not sagged, pedals rubber in good condition etc?

    If it looks new chances are it is. DVLA error for sure.
    Yeah it's a 57 plate, the seats aren't sagging or anything like that, it does look good, I think I'm just being overly cautious as there has been a lot of clocking going on of late!

    Quote Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
    It wouldn't worry me. You can fix the mileage issue no problem, and just make sure give the car at least an oil and filter change when you get it, and it should be fine.
    I hope so, the dealer is giving it a full service prior to me collecting it.

    He said the servicing is only every 20k or 2 years, is this regarded as longlife servicing?

  11. #10
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    760
    Yes it is. But if you planning on keeping the car long term, put it on fixed service interval (10k / 1 year).

    If it has full Audi service history, and your not getting it from Audi, then make sure that the dealer gets it serviced at Audi and not do it themselves. Even better, negotiate the money off, and get Audi to do it for you. If its getting done anyway, you don't want to loose the FASH. Especially if its advertised as FASH, as that will be lost as soon as they service it.

    As for the clocking, its unlikely to have 200k in that 1 month, but you never know. I made a mistake like that when I was HPI'ing a car once before, you just call them up and the verify it was a mistake, and fix it.
    Looking for the right A4 Quattro. 1.9 TDI / 1.8T or 2.0T...
    My A4:http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b8-chassis/125399-my-brief.html



  12. #11
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
    Yes it is. But if you planning on keeping the car long term, put it on fixed service interval (10k / 1 year).

    If it has full Audi service history, and your not getting it from Audi, then make sure that the dealer gets it serviced at Audi and not do it themselves. Even better, negotiate the money off, and get Audi to do it for you. If its getting done anyway, you don't want to loose the FASH. Especially if its advertised as FASH, as that will be lost as soon as they service it.

    As for the clocking, its unlikely to have 200k in that 1 month, but you never know. I made a mistake like that when I was HPI'ing a car once before, you just call them up and the verify it was a mistake, and fix it.
    It has one stamp in the book at 20k which was done by Audi and it's now on just under 30k, I am planning on keeping it long term yes, why do you recommend changing to 1 year servicing? So I should call the garage tomorrow and either request them to get the service done by Audi or get the money knocked of the price and take it to Audi myself?

    Thanks for the advice

  13. #12
    TDiTom
    Guest
    Technically the long life service isn't due, so highly doubt the garage will give money off for you to Audi service it yourself.

  14. #13
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by TDiTom View Post
    Technically the long life service isn't due, so highly doubt the garage will give money off for you to Audi service it yourself.
    Sorry I should have been clearer, the book has one stamp at 20k in 2009, so technically the service is overdue.

  15. #14
    TDiTom
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmo_Sportback_S_Line View Post
    Sorry I should have been clearer, the book has one stamp at 20k in 2009, so technically the service is overdue.
    Worth a shot asking for that service or price reduction then. Good luck.

  16. #15
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmo_Sportback_S_Line View Post
    I'm also a little skeptical that the car has only covered around 2k miles in a 18 month period? Am I being paranoid without reason??

    I checked on the MOT register website and the car has had two MOT's in it's lifetime, here are the details...

    Date of test:27/10/2010Certificate issued (Pass)
    Odometer reading:27,093 Miles
    Test number:260290500312
    Test station name:MOTORCARE (MOT & SERVICE CENTRE) LTD
    Test station number:V105349
    Test station telephone number:01753 520350
    Test class:IV
    Test expiry date:26/10/2011
    No Advisory Notice issued


    Date of test:25/11/2011Certificate issued (Pass)
    Odometer reading:28,367 Miles
    Test number:236869521318
    Test station name:SHIPLAKE MOTORS
    Test station number:62027
    Test station telephone number:01189403125
    Test class:IV
    Test expiry date:24/11/2012

    Please provide some reassurance lol
    1200 mile in a year id be speaking to previous owner is it a 1 owner car ?

    3 years around 8k a year then 1200 in 13 month hmm

  17. #16
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    1200 mile in a year id be speaking to previous owner is it a 1 owner car ?

    3 years around 8k a year then 1200 in 13 month hmm
    It's a 2 owner car and appeared to change hands for the first time back in Oct 2010, how can I speak to the previous owner?

    The place selling it BTW is the Audi VW Centre Chippenham Wiltshire.

  18. #17
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    108
    So I spoke to the dealer this morning and after a lengthy chat my mind is now at rest! Got a lot of assurance and history about the car which I do believe is a genuine low milage example.

    Also the dealership is a VAG specialist and the servicing will be done with all genuine parts, he is also doing the cam belt and water pump. Can't wait to collect her on Saturday!

    Thanks for all the advice!

  19. #18
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    760
    Cool. But the car will loose an amount of resale appeal for not being Full Audi Service History, especially being so low miles.

    If it is advertised as having FASH, and a premium attached to that point, or it was used as a selling point, it will no longer be true by the time you pick it up, so I would ask for a small discount personally, or insist it has the Audi stamp in the book. But that just me, and what I would do with such a low mileage example.

    But so long as your happy, that's all that counts.

    Enjoy...
    Looking for the right A4 Quattro. 1.9 TDI / 1.8T or 2.0T...
    My A4:http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b8-chassis/125399-my-brief.html



  20. #19
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
    Cool. But the car will loose an amount of resale appeal for not being Full Audi Service History, especially being so low miles.

    If it is advertised as having FASH, and a premium attached to that point, or it was used as a selling point, it will no longer be true by the time you pick it up, so I would ask for a small discount personally, or insist it has the Audi stamp in the book. But that just me, and what I would do with such a low mileage example.

    But so long as your happy, that's all that counts.

    Enjoy...
    I do agree with you, however I am going to be keeping this car for a long while and always get my servicing done by independent specialists so it's not gonna make a great deal of difference to me. As long as genuine parts are used I am happy, I refuse to pay the labour rates at main dealers.

    Thanks again!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. HPI Check - Mileage discrepancy NMR?
    By emval in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 13th March 2012, 23:06
  2. hpi check
    By kirsty76 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 8th January 2011, 20:13
  3. S3 Advice on HPI Check
    By S3 CYP in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 9th April 2009, 15:11
  4. Which hpi check?
    By A3quattro in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 7th February 2008, 18:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO