Options questions...Open Sky / AMI / Towbar...assistance please

Jam

Reaction score
Hi All,

just finalising the specs on a new A3 140 BE Sportback and a couple of questions you may be able to assist with please:

TOWBAR

The options book states that the 140 Sportback cannot have the Audi towbar fitted. I do need to have a towbar fitted and will want a detachable one for the way that it all looks. I currently have one fitted to my A3 3 door and i am unsure as to what may prevent one being fitted to the Sportback. Any one any ideas on this at all ? Or anyone aware of aftermarket oprions that will do the job?

OPEN SKY

Not been able to see one at the dealers but have an understanding of what it is. I would explain it as 2 windows in the roof , one of which opens. Is that a fair explanation? Are there any downsides to haveing these. I would guess that they are one of those extras that sound nice but after 6 months they never get used. Any feedback from owners?

Can you use roof bars with the Open Sky system?

AMI

The question here relates to the 2 SD card slots. How big can you actually go on the card size and how do you search and select the tracks and albums from the card. I am thinking that if the cards are big enough and acccess is easy then do i need to have th Ipod in the glove box?

Many thanks for your help on this...

AMI - If you have the full AMI then the iPod dock is pointless as it is rubbish really. It doesn't give you track names, it just plays 6 playlists that are controlled like a CD changer. The AMI allows the iPod to connect and be controlled as if you were using the iPod through the Sat Nav system.

The SD slots can take unto 32GB each. To give you an idea, I have x2 2GB cards in mine and have 20 albums on each!

I have x2 2GB cards in mine and have 20 albums on each!

how do you access these? Are they on there as 20 different albums and you can access then by album and by trak or is it just 200 odd tracks that you can only skip forward and back on?

how do you access these? Are they on there as 20 different albums and you can access then by album and by trak or is it just 200 odd tracks that you can only skip forward and back on?

Accessed by album, basically the album title is the folder title and then the tracks are listed within that folder giving you the playlist like iTunes or Windows media player. It comes up with track names etc. They have to be mp3 files though but if your using iTunes or the like, then your tracks can be converted easily enough.

Thats great thanks...means i havent got to run out and buy and Ipod and i dont have to `buy into` the Itunes thang !

Looks like the hidden towbar is available although possibly not as an `on line fit` but i can confirm that with the dealer.

Any comments on the Open Sky?

I have the open sky on my car. It is basically a sun roof with the added extra of having a fixed lite in the back. If like me, you are having the S Line then it only comes with black interior and the fixed lite makes it a bit lighter inside. Also looks the boll***s, unless you are ordering a black car.

a fixed lite in the back.

I am assuming this is the `roof window` that sits over the rear seats. Am i right in saying this has a basic slide over blind for closing out if required?

It does close over but is like a mesh so is not a complete black out.The front is the same too.

Also looks the boll***s, unless you are ordering a black car.

Looks alright on mine which is black, just much less noticeable than on say a white car where the difference in colour is more noticeable.

I am pleased with the opensky option like others have said on here. You do have to order the Interior Light Pack at the same time which adds some interior lights...