Collected new A3 yesterday - WOW!

roberto

Reaction score
Hello all…
Collected my new A3 2.0TDi Ambition yesterday from Ingolstadt and drove 600km to Lake Como, Italy. Very impressed. Similar acceleration performance to my 210hp S3 before I enhanced to 270hp – certainly better torque down low and acceleration between 120-160kmh, despite top peaking earlier at a claimed 207 (I only pushed 170kmh for a short period in Switzerland).
In sixth, 100kmh at 1800rpm and 160kmp at 2950. Averaged 7l/100km for 600km and at 160kph was using 8l/100km. Very quiet at 160kmh with no noticeable engine noise over the little wind and road noise. Masses of torque from 1800 and still pulling hard over 3000rpm, with a nice engine note not so noticeable as a diesel. On the mountain passes, it really felt like a petrol 200-220hp. Really don’t see the point of buying the same priced 2.0FSI as it will use a lot more petrol when driven hard (the downside with FSI) vs. the diesel which uses little more when driven harder. The performance is simply better with the diesel – heaps more torque and less need to drive hard.
I never thought diesels could be ‘sporting’ but now they’re making them and give us a very viable alternative to petrol. The stigma will gradually wane.
Suspension taut and comfortable with the new rear multilink setup very noticeable. Grip seemed excellent but haven’t had time for a more vigorous mountain pass yet. Brakes a little spongy when applied harder but maybe this will improve as they bed-in.
My options were black metallic, 5-arm parabol design wheels, air con, Bose, heated seats and mirrors. Really recommend the wheels as their wide arms suit the car’s chunky design vs. the other narrow arm optional wheels. And a heap better than those horrible standard wheels.
In my opinion, this is probably the best 3 door package available today – exterior, interior and general performance. The only criticism I will make is Audi’s frontal weight load of 65 percent – as clearly evident in the factory yesterday when I noticed the engine is actually sitting in front of the front axle. BMW wins here. But for a mid-priced car with a little fun, this is a very wise purchase. Let’s just hope Audi put that 2.0FSI turbo in an S3 or RS3 variant with the same 3 door shape.
Over.

Very nice.... Any pics to show us?

Nice write-up Huggie, sounds like a Beaut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How's the Bose sound btw? As you know, there's been some debate on it's worth in the "Older" models, but do you think it's improved any on the new version?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I've didn't take up the Bose option in my S3 so this is the first time I've heard it. I'd guess the real benefit is at the 'top-end' which is quite nice. But I'm not a sound expert so I suggest you test it for yourself in one of the demo's.
BTW ... I forgot to mention that black metallic rules in this car. I've never owned a black car before but I think it brings out the best in the shape ... in fact it makes the car look more aggressive and chunky.
Lastly ... I don't have any pics other than the factory pic-up photo so here's a photo showing the wheels I have.
Bye.

I had a good look in the new A3 2.0FSi yesterday and it was very nice indeed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Might book a test drive just to see how it feels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Im sure the tdi is a lovely car and believe me I do like diesels (my wife has an X5 D) but I cannot believe it is as quick as a standard S3.

[ QUOTE ]
nicks3 said:
Im sure the tdi is a lovely car and believe me I do like diesels (my wife has an X5 D) but I cannot believe it is as quick as a standard S3.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he is refering to the acceleration, which would more than likely be harder than an S3, as it would have more torque.. but cant hold the revs, so wont actually be as quick.

Rich

M8, thats is looking ver nice indeed.

Is that the sport version or wot?
Rich

Here's Mine..We have a little black club on the way now.

Also a word of advice. Always scrub your number plate from an image if you can. People do track you down, its been known to theft many a time. In the UK anyway.

DaveA3Turbo

Pete

Can you think of any other reasons why people may want to track you down ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

hi,
picked up my new a3 last week. much more expensive than my old car but definitely worth it. has a great aggressive look bout it that makes it stand out. mines 2.0tdi sport in dolphin grey with bose and leather/alcantera. u can have so much fun pushing this car hard plus u still get good fuel consumption. the sport versions standard wheels look great, and u get very little body roll around corners. very pleased with the colour, prefer it over the lava grey and its a colour u dont see much.
i was looking around forums after i ordered the car and made me doubt getting bose. however they must have improved it loads cuz i think it sounds really good. holds the sound well at high volumes. havent pushed it to the max though cuz almost too loud, must be getting on a bit.
when i test drove it wasnt big fan of the standard interior. felt to similar to other more mainstream cars and u want a bit more if ur driving an audi. the alcantera/leather is very comfortably and looks great. got it in grey which complements the outside colour well i think, though much more effort to keep it clean

I've had my A3 from December, but anyway. Black really makes the difference in my opinion, it looks more sporty and 'angry' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. And the aluminium wheels & double exhaust pipes which are cromed / stainless steel really shine.

Personally I chose 2,0 FSI since it's actually cheaper than 2,0 TDI for me. I don't drive more than 10 tkm / year, so diesel taxes added, my FSI is cheaper to drive. It has enough torque, and it warms up faster than the 2,0 TDI model. This is a nice feature at least here, when there's snow on the ground several months of the year, and it can be very cold (-20C, -30C).

Too bad I don't have any pictures since I don't own a digicam, but it's not that much different from 2,0 TDIs shown here. Only difference being the exhaust pipes, which look a lot better in the 2,0 FSI model.

- Yak

Mine is being built thisa week, not sure how soon I'll have it.

The chrome pipes do look great, why they couldn't put them on the TDI I dunno.

I was worried about being cold in a diesel too so I went for heated leather seats. Mmm toastie.

I found the 2.0 FSI dull in terms of power, my 1.8T 150 GTI would destroy one and on paper they're as quick!!??

This is my first diesel but the torque in this new engine is just enormous.

It's just a pitty I blew off the S3 @ 75 today for about 10 seconds then I lost bottle as the tdi loses puff at around 100.

Dave

It's not about it being a heavier car, yeh ok it's a bit heavier but the power delivery is totally different, a 1.8T is much quicker.

Pete aka DaveA3Turbo said

"It's just a pitty I blew off the S3 @ 75 today for about 10 seconds then I lost bottle as the tdi loses puff at around 100."

WTF are you talking about ? The TDI pulls strongly up to 130mph. The only way you are going to blow away an S3 in a TDI is if the S3 has got it's handbrake on.

[ QUOTE ]
garethj said:
Pete aka DaveA3Turbo said

"It's just a pitty I blew off the S3 @ 75 today for about 10 seconds then I lost bottle as the tdi loses puff at around 100."

WTF are you talking about ? The TDI pulls strongly up to 130mph. The only way you are going to blow away an S3 in a TDI is if the S3 has got it's handbrake on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly!! *** some people. The 2.0TDi isnt a fast car period!! Yeah its not bad. It does pull well, and is comfortable and does handle reasonably well, but thats as far as it goes.

Rich

Hi, just a few comments & experiences I have had, relating to this...

A friend of mine owns a 130 PD130 golf. I have raced him many times and from a standing start in my 1.8T A3 and beat him every time, unless I get a crap start /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If we are rolling say at 70 and both floor it, the diesel would kick my **** every time, due to the low down torque he has, whereas mine would take a while to pick up, due to having less torque.

the cars are pretty evenly matched in terms of power and speed, but the way they deliver is completely different. His 130 TDi will run in excess of 130 mph with it still pulling well.

Off the line the S3 would kill the 2.0 TDi. Rolling, i'm sure it would get ahead slightly, but get overtaken very soon afterwards once the S3 has picked up boost, due to the all round good bhp and torque of the S3.

A tuned TDi 150 is a real S3 contender. Producing 180-190 bhp with oodles of torque enables it to pull away very quickly in every situation, rolling or at standstil.

The tuning options for the 2.0 are limited at the moment. i'm sure when the tuners get to grips with the new engine and kick out in excess of 200bhp out of it, i'm sure it would definately be capable of giving an S3 a beating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

@ Yak - I'll tell you what, go look for a Golf GTI this weekend and give the driver the nod and see how much it pulls ahead of the 2.0 FSI. That is the best way I can think of explaining myself to you lol

It's a turbo as opposed to a N/A engine, whether the GTI has more torque I'm not sure. I'd bet you a €1,000 that the GTI 1.8T with same 150 horses would beat the FSI in 0-30, 0-62, 0-100 etc etc

And on the other thing you raised, on paper, the 2.0 FSI is quicker than the 2.0 TDI, in reality, the TDI would waste it. I've driven both of them. That's like saying a 150 petrol and a 150 TDI MKIV Golf are the same speed, we all know the TDI 150 is an animal and leaves the petrol GTI standing still but VWs figures put the TDI nearly 2 seconds slower to 60 than the petrol GTI.

Again, the 2.0 TDI is prob a bit quicker acceleration wise than the 150 GTI - it will certainly feel quicker because of the torque.

@Andy Mac, it depends what you call heavily modified? Stick a Revo chip in the TDI and it'll keep up and if not it'll only be marginally behind.

Whilst I kind of understand what you are trying to say in terms of the overall performance I think you may have the wrong end of the stick as far as torque if concerned.

Torque does matter, Horse Power is a translation of torque at rpm this is expressed as Horsepower = Torque x rpm / 5252.

TDI engines produce far more torque than petrol engines but over a shorter rev range, that is the nature of the beast. Using the formula above you will be able to work out that TDI engines produce far more power lower down the rev range which explains their mid range acceleration capabilities.

The petrol engine produces more BHP because its torque is spread over a wider rev range. If the gearing of a petrol and TDI car is the same and the cars are running at the same speed then the TDI will have the initial edge in acceleration (sometimes quite significant) but the petrol car will catch up as its power start to be delivered later in the rev range.

I completely agree with Neal. I currently driving my fourth A3 1.8T and have recently borrowed some new A3s for a day from my local dealer.

The 2.0 FSI appears much slower and much less fun to drive than my 1.8T. It needs a lot of winding up to get it going and a lot more gear changes and feels slower.

The 2.0 TDI manual felt very similar to the 1.8T in almost every respect, if a little noisier when accelerating hard. But when general crusing on the motorway the engine was quite.

But the best of all was the 2.0 TDI DSG. This had all the advantages of the 2.0 TDI plus the added fun of the DSG gearbox. I found that I needed to change gear more on both TDIs than the 1.8T but using the DSG in manual model or using the steering wheel paddles this was no problem at all. The change from first to second comes up very quickly with the TDI and I let the DSG handle this itself when it reached maximum revs and then changed up and down myself after that. It really was fun to drive and no effort to use. Having driven manuals for the last 38 years I can truely say it was just as good and even more fun.

I enjoyed the 2.0 TDI DSG so much that I am just about to place an order for a new one to replace my 1.8T. - Putting my money where my mouth is !

Dave

38 years driving Dave! That's some achievment mate.

I dunno, I'm not trying to knock the 2.0 FSI and I know you have one Yak and it's prob your pride n joy as it should be but it just does seem different.

Well, it was from pdf, it was quite small originally unfortunately. Here's a dyno graph from stock 1,8T A4 (Quattro), while it was still 110kW motor.

http://www.yak.iki.fi/audi/1_8_t.png

The difference to FSI is nearly null, this can't be the only factor causing the performance difference.

- Yak

JoJo

What's so funny, care to share the joke ?

Yak, I can't think in kw & nm so I have converted your graphs to bhp & lb/ft and put them on the same chart.

Same graph with your 1.8T data added, assuming you plots are right then there is virtually no difference between the 2.0FSI & 1.8T !!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif I am amazed if this is right then the FSI system is far smarter than I thought (takes back earlier post with guilty look hoping no-one reads back that far /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif).

AH! ok, I'm not usually that slow on the uptake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

jojo, yeap. But it won't affect the results anyway, just makes it cleaner outlook (with no little 1-2Nm bumps every other rpm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

- Yak

I'll still be laughing all the way to the petrol station and annoying people in 2.0 FSI's!!

Because their car looks better?-) Have fun then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak