LHD Bixenons

16vt

Reaction score
Got my eye on a set of LHD xenon and also bixenon headlights from europe, just wondering if the projectors have the option to be use on rhd uk cars, on BMW e92 cars I have seen they have a gate on the projector shroud to be switched adapted for both sides, wondering if audi uses the same setup?

you will be able to change them to on holiday rhd settings so they don't dazzle other drivers, but they wont pass mot spec as it won't give a rhd beam pattern

No what i am asking is if there is a flick (gate) inside the projector shrouds to cut the beam pattern correctly. I have not seen inside A3 projectors therefore i dont know what to excpect.

Have you opened a bixenon headlight and look inside the projector shrouds?

Cut off shield would produce the cut off line in projectors. You havent looked inside the projector and shield design in the audi and you simply dont know. No point throwing random answers just to increase your post count :)

What the hell??? post count? who gives a toss about that??

1. I dont intend to take apart my perfectly working Projectors to have a look.

2. im not that sort of cheap skate to rip apart headlights just to get LHD lights to work in RHD country!

If you bothered to search the issue instead of just asking a repetitive question maybe you could have answered your own question!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/127993-lhd-bi-xenon.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/59567-retro-fitting-xenons-question.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...lhd-s3-xenon-headlights-uk-compatibility.html

feel free by all means to cannibalize your headlights, however you ask a question and got an answer. no need to get rude and say stupid things like post counts

Cut off shield would produce the cut off line in projectors. You havent looked inside the projector and shield design in the audi and you simply dont know. No point throwing random answers just to increase your post count :)

Pretty much every projector is built the same way so yes I'd imagine you can just open up the projector and flip the shield over.

It's not that big of a job and usually the projectors are held together with soft bendable tabs (VALEO for example) and takes about 2minutes to do on those. The biggest part is serparating the front lens off the back. Then simply a case of detatching the projector from the back, but this will likely be the 3 torx screws (like the halogen lamps).

btw I have some DIY xenons on my car using some M3 projector shrouds on VALEO projectors fitted in halogen headlights. It was a little project I did to play with and in the end they turned out alright. The end result is very much like the early single xenon lamps which is essentially the same as what I have done (is they are idential to the halogen but have a projector in the centre of the dipped beam with a shroud).

I've used D1S OEM Bosch [but not original to A3] ballasts I got for £59/pair off ebay. My only issue is lense misting even though I've sealed them twice, that seems to be the biggest risk (have split headlights on other cars with no issues like this though).

Last edited:
What the hell??? post count? who gives a toss about that??

1. I dont intend to take apart my perfectly working Projectors to have a look.

2. im not that sort of cheap skate to rip apart headlights just to get LHD lights to work in RHD country!

If you bothered to search the issue instead of just asking a repetitive question maybe you could have answered your own question!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/127993-lhd-bi-xenon.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/59567-retro-fitting-xenons-question.html
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...lhd-s3-xenon-headlights-uk-compatibility.html

feel free by all means to cannibalize your headlights, however you ask a question and got an answer. no need to get rude and say stupid things like post counts
1) I never asked you to open your headlights up,if you didn't know you shouldn't have answered.

2) We are not all rich like you that's why we like to try other ways where possible.

I am however amazed by the speed of your "useful" replies good job :)

WOW..... for someone to have only 16 posts and have a rant at one of the most gen'd up guys on the forum....you got balls sonny and not really alot of savvy up top. Not really doing yourself any favours by doing it though :gun2:. Ash in my words small potatoes my man.......:s3addict:

Ash is one of the most genuine, well respected and helpful members on this forum. Your random comments on post count was out of order. Please think before you post a reply. If you ever have a problem with an 8p Ash is nearly always the first user to offer help and advice.

Thanks for your kind words guys but he is a new user and has probably been on some bad forums in the past and had Bad experience. I guess when he settles in he will realise how nice we are and that we are actually trying to help.

Pretty much every projector is built the same way so yes I'd imagine you can just open up the projector and flip the shield over.

It's not that big of a job and usually the projectors are held together with soft bendable tabs (VALEO for example) and takes about 2minutes to do on those. The biggest part is serparating the front lens off the back. Then simply a case of detatching the projector from the back, but this will likely be the 3 torx screws (like the halogen lamps).

btw I have some DIY xenons on my car using some M3 projector shrouds on VALEO projectors fitted in halogen headlights. It was a little project I did to play with and in the end they turned out alright. The end result is very much like the early single xenon lamps which is essentially the same as what I have done (is they are idential to the halogen but have a projector in the centre of the dipped beam with a shroud).

I've used D1S OEM Bosch [but not original to A3] ballasts I got for £59/pair off ebay. My only issue is lense misting even though I've sealed them twice, that seems to be the biggest risk (have split headlights on other cars with no issues like this though).

Which gen BMW valeos did you use? Were they the bixenon units? I have also done a couple retrofits with the valeos, and they worked out good, the shrouds switch could be reached from within the headlight not needing to open it up. Im thinking audi projectors would be hella most likley? So with the oem bosch ballasts not specific to 8p you are not blowing wipers, sounds all good, pics of ur lights would be good.

i love how i answered this correctly with a 2 liner in the 2nd post lol

You wont change the spread pattern of a projector by just lowering the level so you did not understand or answer my question.

Post count does not show ones wisdom or superiority, I just simply wanted an opinion from folks who have encountered this before and itwasntme187 initial response was not very helpful or clear thats all.

There aren't any set rules on doing a light conversion that will work, I must be out of this planet lol!

Last edited:
Which gen BMW valeos did you use? Were they the bixenon units? I have also done a couple retrofits with the valeos, and they worked out good, the shrouds switch could be reached from within the headlight not needing to open it up. Im thinking audi projectors would be hella most likley? So with the oem bosch ballasts not specific to 8p you are not blowing wipers, sounds all good, pics of ur lights would be good.

Sorry if it wasn't clear the Valeo projectors I'm not sure of the origin (they didn't have any levers to change the shield, just tabs to bend back and split the projector in half). I bought a pair of "OEM" BOSCH ballasts which sold as VAG parts but the part number seems to relate to BMWs. £60/pair delivered. Seller is from Turkey, sells quite a lot of VAG parts. However the manufacture date is 2010 so I'm happy with that and don't forsee any wiper motor issues with these as the internals and eletrical suppression will be top notch (I seriously doubt AUDI had BOSCH make anything specific for the A3 to get around the wiper motor failure issue, more just that the A3 WITHOUT quality OEM ballasts they will suffer wiper failure). The ballasts were a fraction larger than the OEM A3 ballasts but with a slight dremel to a screw fixing point on the underside they fitted in the factory position under the headlight.

I'll try and get a photo up. The A3 Bi-xenons look much nicer but couldn't justify the costs and hassle sourcing them (plus rewiring 10pin to 14pin) and at least I've now got nice light output of projectors which was my main aim (the halogen just looks dated).

ive also got a set of late MY10 LHD 8p bi-xenons and im thinking of splitting them to flip the beams over to RHD. I'll be interested to see where this thread goes provided no blood it spilt in the process:detective2:

Got my eye on a set of LHD xenon and also bixenon headlights from europe, just wondering if the projectors have the option to be use on rhd uk cars, on BMW e92 cars I have seen they have a gate on the projector shroud to be switched adapted for both sides, wondering if audi uses the same setup?

It can be done if you buy a RHD headlight and open both, then change the internals...
So resuming YOU NEED TO BUY RHD HEADLIGHTS...
And before you say anything else, i've opened many A3 8P headlights and know what i'm talking about...

have you opened one of these below?
black2-1.jpg

AUDIS3PICS.jpg

It can be done if you buy a RHD headlight and open both, then change the internals...
So resuming YOU NEED TO BUY RHD HEADLIGHTS...
And before you say anything else, i've opened many A3 8P headlights and know what i'm talking about...

I'd like you to buy a set and butcher them because you don't seem to want to listen to correct answers. You cannot adapt rhd to lhd lights.

You can put them in tourist mode but will have a constant warning on the dash. I've looked at this before.

are you talking from a previous failed attempt or is just hearsay/chinese whispers?
I'd like you to buy a set and butcher them because you don't seem to want to listen to correct answers. You cannot adapt rhd to lhd lights.

You can put them in tourist mode but will have a constant warning on the dash. I've looked at this before.

You wont change the spread pattern of a projector by just lowering the level so you did not understand or answer my question.

Post count does not show ones wisdom or superiority, I just simply wanted an opinion from folks who have encountered this before and itwasntme187 initial response was not very helpful or clear thats all.

There aren't any set rules on doing a light conversion that will work, I must be out of this planet lol!

You are out of this planet (mostly phrased as off this planet ) - just look, read and learn :asskicking: or don't bother asking the question !

Prat comes to mind !!

Reactions: Sandra and Ste_Nova
You are out of this planet (mostly phrased as off this planet ) - just look, read and learn :asskicking: or don't bother asking the question !

Prat comes to mind !!

This is a free forum, if you have nothing to say on the topic in hand then go and hide :Flush:

So many keyboard mechanics nowadays :eiertritt:

For what reason could you not adapt the projector to RHD? pretty much every projector I've seen can be split quite easily with a separate shield. The only complexity I can foresee is with the bi-xenon shutter forming that beam.

This is a free forum, if you have nothing to say on the topic in hand then go and hide :Flush:

So many keyboard mechanics nowadays :eiertritt:

If you continue to be disrespectful of well established, and helpful members on the forum, i will close this thread. Mike Foster is a very well respected and helpful member on this forum. You dont have to agree with what he advises, but please show some respect. I have already posted on this thread, i wont do so again. You have 15 posts and so far have been extremely rude too 2 members. This stops right now.

If you continue to be disrespectful of well established, and helpful members on the forum, i will close this thread. Mike Foster is a very well respected and helpful member on this forum. You dont have to agree with what he advises, but please show some respect. I have already posted on this thread, i wont do so again. You have 15 posts and so far have been extremely rude too 2 members. This stops right now.

What did Mike Foster actually advise me?? Did he have anything to say about this topic or simply responded to "attack" me? Just read what he wrote :).

What did Mike Foster actually advise me?? Did he have anything to say about this topic or simply responded to "attack" me? Just read what he wrote :).

Think you need to chill out my friend. You are very quick to jump on people's replies and reply with something like "post count up", "keyboard mechanic", "go and hide" etc.

You have asked a question, people have taken time out to respond to you and it appears you don't like any response given.

My advice - Buy a set of LHD and go play. If it doesn't work then sell them, if it does then fair game! You seem to have brought a certain attitude that is present on quite a few forums on the web. ASN is not one of those places!

Just to clarify my comment, I advised you to look at peoples' replies carefully, learn from them and then if you disagree with them all, or think you know better, then don't bother asking any questions at all on this forum because you obviously do not value the replies.

I have no experience of this particular question so could not advise about that but I have been on the forum for quite some time and know that an attitude like yours will get you nowhere.

I may have been wrong in calling you a prat, and for that I apologise, but please don't prove me to have been right all along !

I opened this topic to try and share some knowledge and experience and get some information on what folks have done in relation to LHD lights. From searches I did on the forum I couldn't find any useful specific information, ie projector design, make, lens type specific to the 8p.
It is a specific area and I don't expect everyone to know what I am talking about,care or want to carry out this to their headlights.

The initial responses were given and I was trying to clarify truth from myth, maybe having 15 posts would make people think you don't know what you talking about and not read your questions and answers properly!

Anyway guys I apologize if I upset anyone, the purpose of this topic was to shine light in this area to help myself or anyone else wanting to carry out this conversion.

Last edited by a moderator:
It takes a real man to stand up and apologise and I'm sure members/moderators will appreciate this although the useless post thing is a bit harsh - every post is appreciated

I opened this topic to try and share some knowledge and experience and get some information on what folks have done in relation to LHD lights. From searches I did on the forum I couldn't find any useful specific information, ie projector design, make, lens type specific to the 8p.
It is a specific area and I don't expect everyone to know what I am talking about,care or want to carry out this to their headlights.

The initial responses were given and I was trying to clarify truth from myth, maybe having 15 posts would make people think you don't know what you talking about and not read your questions and answers properly!

Anyway guys I apologize if I upset anyone, the purpose of this topic was to shine light in this area to help myself or anyone else wanting to carry out this conversion.

Sorry for the 'useless' post - I was actually trying to de-fuse and close the discussion !

Good luck getting any further information.

Voorhees, you have edited his post by removing his comment about 'useless post'.

This makes my reply and that of a6_chris look confusing to say the very least and, dare I say, look a bit stupid !

Do you have a solution ? Perhaps just delete the thread altogether ?

Voorhees, you have edited his post by removing his comment about 'useless post'.

This makes my reply and that of a6_chris look confusing to say the very least and, dare I say, look a bit stupid !

Do you have a solution ? Perhaps just delete the thread altogether ?

Lol yeah had me confused. You've banned Him :uhm: That's a bit Harsh

Ok guys you win! I will quietly get banned.

I think I'm gonna start suing lol before I get another ban.