Gutted, my S3 is going up for sale, what next?

GNJ_Motorsport

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
www.gnjmotorsport.com
After much mind changing and deliberating I have finally decided 100% that my S3 has to go.

I have committed to moving the business into a unit in October. All being well with the solicitors I should be paying the deposit this week :) With this is mind the time has come to sell my S3 and get something a little more sensible for the next couple of years as it is a massive step for me and the business.

I have only had the S3 8 months which isn't like me as I normally keep cars for a few years. I know it is the best thing to do though rather than have a £15k car sat outside the unit when that money could have paid for more equipment inside it!

So, what next? I want peoples opinions as I can't decide. I want something that is generally cheaper to run but still has good scope for modifying into something that will represent what we do well. My budget will be approx £7k but if I can get something I like for less then great. Options I have looked at are:

Mk 5 Golf GT TDI & GTI
Mk 4 Golf 1.8T Anniversary
Mk 4 Golf R32 (Terrible on fuel though)
A3 8P 2.0 TDI 140
Ibiza Cupra 1.8 20vT & PD160
Leon 1M Cupra
Astra VXR (Had 1 before the S3, best car I've owned!)
Corsa VXR
Polo GTI
BMW E46 3 series Coupe

Hi mate sorry to hear your selling up but all good things come to an end,how about a edition 30 golf....

Seems you're minds made up, VXR it is. But sensible it ain't. An A3 2.0tdi remapped would be good on fuel and road tax and you coulD still have some fun

Good shout, i'd probably say edition 30 iswell.

Failing that an 8P 2.0 TDi :) Bang a hybrid and a performance clutch on and your good for 220+bhp and a ton of torque.

Seems you're minds made up, VXR it is. But sensible it ain't. An A3 2.0tdi remapped would be good on fuel and road tax and you coulD still have some fun

Far from it mate, it was an awesome car despite what people say about them but like you say, the running costs are very similar I'd just make a wedge of cash from trading down. Not ideal though and I fancy trying something else.

Good shout, i'd probably say edition 30 iswell.

Failing that an 8P 2.0 TDi :) Bang a hybrid and a performance clutch on and your good for 220+bhp and a ton of torque.

The cars I have looked at most are the Golf/A3 2.0 TDI 140. I'd prob just stick stage 1 on there though (Yeah right)

They're brilliant for driving quick round town etc, but if you like your top end speeds your looking at the wrong car, they just seem to run out of puff.

Although the 50mpg on the computer makes up for it all :happy:

Why not get a 170 DSG? Them things are amazing.

Ahv got a remapped Golf Anni TDi. Used as my work car but the thing is solid. Get a nice one for 5k, 10 yr old but still looks the biz...

Great performance and fuel economy, cheap tax etc etc..

Erm, Leon Cupra R? Your budget would buy you an absolute peach and leave change, and they are full of potential?

out of those options id say a3 2.0 TDI or suttink propa different but honda civic 2.2 type S or go crazy buy n type R

well too bad the s3 has to go, but there will be time for newer car once the business goes well. since you probably want to keep running cost low as well i would say any vag tdi would be good (mkv gt tdi, a3 2.0 tdi, but think leon fr 170 would be cheapest).

Thanks for the suggestions lads. Been on Pistonheads and Autotrader most of the night and a diesel is definitely on the cards. I really like the look of the E46 BMW 3 series coupes. Looked at both the 320D & 330D. Some nice BBS wheels and coilovers with a remap and that would be ideal really.

The problem with an A3 TDI is the fact I have had an S3. Despite me having the S3 I actually prefer the shape of a Mk5 Golf to the A3 8P shape (Awaits abuse!) I only bought the S3 over an R32 as it had tuning potential if I'm honest.

How about a vw caddy van? Sign written, coilovers, wheels, bora front end, and a remap. A rolling advert. And I think they look good.

Sorry you have to sell the Stage 3 beast Graeme. I would of bought it off you in a flash had it not been for me being in roughly the same position as yourself. The S3 is certainly racking up the mileage at the moment visiting customers. Im dreading the day when I have to let her go too. Hope the unit all goes well buddy. Might pop down sometime when its up and running.

i agree with the e46 320d M or push for a 330d. like you say when dropped the look mint for the money. a friend at work has 320 M petrol, its 9 years old with 70k in silver. looks very solid and plus you get pushed not pulled which should bring a smile. good luck with the business lad :salute:

I just sold an E46 330d Sport. So if you want a E46

I'd say go for the 330, people over look them but they aren't too bad to run.
215 tax, which isnt bad, will see mid 40s with moderate driving.

320 is a 4 cylinder, 330 is 6 so insanely smooth. 320 won't see much more mpg.
One thing I do miss about it over the A3 is how crude and noisy the Audi diesel is.

Watch out for airbags and remote locking, air bag ECUs die. And locking can be a can of worms, has so many modules etc, forums don't offer much help, tends to end up as dealer job, or try different modules etc.

How about a vw caddy van? Sign written, coilovers, wheels, bora front end, and a remap. A rolling advert. And I think they look good.

I've looked at this option, makes business sense as well but everytime I look I'm completely underwhelmed by them :(

Sorry you have to sell the Stage 3 beast Graeme. I would of bought it off you in a flash had it not been for me being in roughly the same position as yourself. The S3 is certainly racking up the mileage at the moment visiting customers. Im dreading the day when I have to let her go too. Hope the unit all goes well buddy. Might pop down sometime when its up and running.

Cheers Mark, will probably have an open day or something. Only 5 miles from the M6 so when you're on your way down here it would be rude not to visit :) I bet you are racking some miles up!

how about Focus ST? It's cheap and fairly powerful.

Not really a big Ford fan and a mate has one and it is really poor on fuel.

i agree with the e46 320d M or push for a 330d. like you say when dropped the look mint for the money. a friend at work has 320 M petrol, its 9 years old with 70k in silver. looks very solid and plus you get pushed not pulled which should bring a smile. good luck with the business lad :salute:

The build quality looks great on them and the M Sports all seem to have xenons, cruise etc. Thanks for the comment on the business :)

This will be total cool....

See above. Good idea and Joe who is coming to work for us keeps on at me to do that but I can't bring myself to want 1!

I just sold an E46 330d Sport. So if you want a E46

I'd say go for the 330, people over look them but they aren't too bad to run.
215 tax, which isnt bad, will see mid 40s with moderate driving.

320 is a 4 cylinder, 330 is 6 so insanely smooth. 320 won't see much more mpg.
One thing I do miss about it over the A3 is how crude and noisy the Audi diesel is.

Watch out for airbags and remote locking, air bag ECUs die. And locking can be a can of worms, has so many modules etc, forums don't offer much help, tends to end up as dealer job, or try different modules etc.

Thanks for the advice mate. I'd probs hold out for a 330D as I have had 300bhp+ in my last 2 cars so I think I'd find the 320D a little too sluggish.

Surely you could learn to love one of these.
e52fa40d.jpg

b095d36a.jpg

shame you can't have a sprint blue one, and keep the s3.

Out of what you've put up i'd have a MK5 Golf GT TDI or GTI, If it's a MK4 Golf only one id get would be the R32. And obviously i'd have an A3 8P. Or a VW Caddy seen a few decent ones around lately :wub:

Last edited:
Surely you could learn to love one of these.
e52fa40d.jpg

b095d36a.jpg

shame you can't have a sprint blue one, and keep the s3.

Oh don't do that!!

They are awesome but for the money it costs to get them to anything near that standard I may as well trade up not down!

I might look a bit more into a Caddy though admittedly not as extreme as them.

Thanks for the suggestions lads. Been on Pistonheads and Autotrader most of the night and a diesel is definitely on the cards. I really like the look of the E46 BMW 3 series coupes. Looked at both the 320D & 330D. Some nice BBS wheels and coilovers with a remap and that would be ideal really.

The problem with an A3 TDI is the fact I have had an S3. Despite me having the S3 I actually prefer the shape of a Mk5 Golf to the A3 8P shape (Awaits abuse!) I only bought the S3 over an R32 as it had tuning potential if I'm honest.

Exactly my thoughts, a blue R32 with that sweet *** rumble is the shizzle. but the S3 goes better!

25th Anni might be where the smart money is, as far as depreciation is concerned.

Get a nice one, keep it pampered and you should see your money back in 12months.

I`ve had a remapped 18T Gti and they go really well, the MK4 isnt the last word in fun and handling (Anni has better chassis though) but 210bhp ish can be had from the petrol with Stage 1 and and around 190bhp from the derv.

Mate of mine had a REVO`d 25th Anni PD150 and it was surprisingly good.

The 3 series is a good call however IMHO the E46 looks very dated now, even the M3.

What about a leggy ex-fleeter E90 320d? 177bhp stock and 215bhp with Stage 1.

Good luck
Paul

25th Anni might be where the smart money is, as far as depreciation is concerned.

Get a nice one, keep it pampered and you should see your money back in 12months.

I`ve had a remapped 18T Gti and they go really well, the MK4 isnt the last word in fun and handling (Anni has better chassis though) but 210bhp ish can be had from the petrol with Stage 1 and and around 190bhp from the derv.

Mate of mine had a REVO`d 25th Anni PD150 and it was surprisingly good.

The 3 series is a good call however IMHO the E46 looks very dated now, even the M3.

What about a leggy ex-fleeter E90 320d? 177bhp stock and 215bhp with Stage 1.

Good luck
Paul

Not to do with the OP question. But good to see you back in an S3 Paul :thumbsup: