Advice

TurGe

Reaction score
Hi all
Would be greatful of a little advice, I placed a deposit on a black 2010 a3 sline on bank holiday Monday and have been to collect the car today.
I actually refused delivery because of the following, the car was covered in swirl marks and holograms from poor polishing, over spray inside the passenger door shut which also made me look at the rear passenger quarter and I could see its been resprayed, stone chips on the drivers side door shut ( probably seatbelt damage).

Would you say I am expecting too much for the car to be in better condition, after all I did explain the issues when leaving the deposit and was adamant the body work should be right as they talked me into the auto glym life shine product.

At present I have given them a week to sort the issues but highly doubt it will be resolved correctly.

Anybony have eny experience if these are grounds to get the deposit back ?

Cheers
Mark

I understand its not too old but its not a brand new car either. If it was brand new then u have all right to kick up a fuss. If u wasnt buying it from a dealer/trader then wud u be asking for the same treatment. Not everyone buys a new car and looks after it the way its supposed to be looked after. Whats the mileage on it?

Yeah, stand your ground man. I hate holograms and swirls with a passion. Holograms are usually the result of poor dealer polishing but they can also indicate the fact the car may have seen some paint in its lifetime.

Lifeshine is a total waste of time! Would have been better off giving that money to a professional to detail your car and get it looking the way it's meant to look.

Tell them to get their act together and fix the car, or you'll be taking your business elsewhere.

I have been looking at local detailers and agree I can get the car fixed, however I have to give them chance to sort it, hopefully they will, if not I will ask for more off the car to get the job done locally by a professional detailer, I did say to them on numerous occasions unless the body work is prepped right the life shine is a waste of time, thought it would save me washing it as much and therefore lowering the chance of swirling it myself.

If its not done right, ask for £3-400 off the car and find a decent detailer in your area.

Black is horrible for swirls etc.

Holograms are down time poor polishing. Swirls are general wear and tear.
They aren't actually swirls, it's just the way the light refracts from a single source.

If it's been painted it may never be perfect, as scratches could be in the paint rather than on the lacquer.
Under very close inspection, even the best polished blacks often have some swirling in direct sunlight, and if they don't, they soon will have.
Even with uber care and expensive products, it will get scratched.

I'd say a 2010 car should be pretty clean, doesn't sound like you're being unreasonable. Fair enough most cars aren't very well looked after, but that should be reflected in the price.

ABYSS and Juicy Jen went though countless fiascos with Audi claiming the bodywork was spot on (but they're detailers, so were after a properly good finish) and they ended up ordering a brand new car in the end. Not sure if any deposits were exchanged or refunded, but they should be able to give you some pointers for dealing with getting issues sorted.

I think the lesson learned is that you have the money, so hold out until you get your way, or go somewhere else and get a car that does fit the bill and is up to expected quality. Or maybe get them to knock off £££ and send it for a proper correction and polish.

I have no issues with the fact black cars are a ball ache, I do however feel that the standard of finish when spending 17k from a main dealer should be higher than what was presented. Maybe I am expecting too much?

What dealer is it? My dad just bought a Q7 from Swindon Audi and it was totally spotless, I told them I was a detailing nut and they didn't dissapoint.

Not really at the point of naming and shaming just thought I would pose a question to see if I was being a little over the top with my expectations, give them their due they have asked for a week to sort it, however the excitement of a new car has been diluted with dissapointment with today's visit.