S3 Tyres again...

Silky-S3

Is loving his new 8V S3!
Reaction score
So looking to replace all 4 tyres on the S3. Looking for performance/grip over anything else. Narrowed my choice down to (all 225/40/18):

GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

Michelin Pilot Sport 3

Bridgestone RE050A Potenza

All within £10 of each other. Recommendations?

No what?! Never heard of them! :shrug:

Not the Bridgestones.

Adequate dry grip but rubbish in the wet and the added bonus of zero progression.

The F1s are a very good compromise overall and the PS3s are also pretty good.

The only way to get more grip is a real gamble of using trackday tyres such as Toyo R1Rs or R888s and hoping it doesn't rain.

Good Year F1s all the way! i have them on my S Line 2.0T Quattro. Very happy with them don't wear to quickly either. unlike my P Zeros! before hand

sorry, didnt notice the tyre size in OP. I have a set of 4 yokohama pradas in that size and i am very pleased with them

I can vouch for s drives they are amaingly grippy in the dry but not that good in the wet

I've had bridgestones, they're NOISY and terrible in the wet. can't wait to get them off my car!! they come standard on the new cars :-(

ive had the toyo's too and they are alright but for me PS3's are the ones to go for here.

Very very good in both wet and dry.

Thanks guys, looks like its between the PS3s and the Goodyears. I'll have a think as I want both good wet and dry grip. :)

Thanks guys, looks like its between the PS3s and the Goodyears. I'll have a think as I want both good wet and dry grip. :)

If that's what you want,the F1s would be my choice.

I had a set recently and they are excellent all rounders.

I had both PS2's and PS3's on my edition 30 (same tyre size as the S3) and the dry grip of the PS2's was noticeably better. I've just put them on my S3, and well impressed. The PS3's are probably a better wet weather tyre but you only have to look at the tread pattern to see why the PS2's will perform better in the dry.

You can only get them in the Porsche N3 rating.

i have used many tyres.

For me the Michelin PS2 is superior to anything i've used. As mentioned you can only get them N3 rating now. I have four on at the moment and they are perfect. Im going Brands 29th May so will let you know how they are on the track too!

You can also still get Michelin PS2's in Mercedes MO rating.

Easily still the best tyre I have ever used!

michelin supersports are your daddies but not cheap.

or, id go vreds. rate them highly.

Supersports only come in 45 sections at 18" unfortunately or I might have given them a go.

No what?! Never heard of them! :shrug:

JRSmooth was referring to Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas - typically £100 a piece from camskill.co.uk - a personal favourite of mine as they're cheaper, better wearing, less noisy, better looking (obviously of key importance) and grippier (especially in the wet) than the PS2's I used to use (back in the day!).

michelin supersports are your daddies but not cheap.

or, id go vreds. rate them highly.

mmmm pilot supersport gets my vote too. but it comes only in 245/40/18, and i'm seriously considering moving to 19" to get them in 235/35/19 :D

I'm going for the F1s, cheers guys!

Silky i know that CSC3 are not in your option but for wet and dry
weather they get my vote anyday!!!

Silky i know that CSC3 are not in your option but for wet and dry
weather they get my vote anyday!!!

The car came with CSC3's, I thought they were rubbish! A general lack of grip, poor progression, and only lasted 7,000 miles!

I can really REALLY, REALLY recommend the Vredestein Sessantas enough. Had em on my Subaru, so did a shed load of others and they really are a top class tyre, both in the dry and in the wet too. Awesome.

The vreds (ultrac sessantas) are not the best tyre, out right, but when the price it taken into consideration, they are pretty damn good! The are great in the wet, and great in the try. I read a review about 2 years ago and they were only beaten by the Good Year F1 Asymmetrics.

They will be going on mine once the ****ty bridgestones are done!

Joe :thumbsup:

I'm glad it's not just me that found the Bridgestones were bad.

The only good point was they lasted a long time but given the tyres were so awful,even that was against them!

Michelins for me, they never fail to impress, last for miles and look good too...

I'm glad it's not just me that found the Bridgestones were bad.

The only good point was they lasted a long time but given the tyres were so awful,even that was against them!

Haha, I know. I'm worried I'll be getting rid of the car before I need to change the tyres.

I find them particularly bad in the wet. The car understeers awfully, although that could be down to me coming back to FWD/Quattro from RWD.

Joe.

Haha, I know. I'm worried I'll be getting rid of the car before I need to change the tyres. I find them particularly bad in the wet. The car understeers awfully, although that could be down to me coming back to FWD/Quattro from RWD. Joe.
They're about the worst "performance" tyre I've ever tried or had on a car,and I've used Michelin,Goodyear Toyo and Yokohamas on various cars before,but I can safely say that these things do not inspire any confidence at all,and that was before doubling the power!