S3 Whine when holding high revs

ub7rm

Reaction score
Hello,

Got a 59 plate s3 sportback and have noticed that when rolling and holding revs at about 4k there is a fairly loud sort of whine. It vanishes when you bury the go pedal and is not apparant when accelerating normally. Question is, is this normal?

Typically when in second say holding back behind a slow moving vehicle waiting for the chance to overtake.

Pop the bonnet and have a look at the air filter piping which goes all the way back to the turbo from the air box. Try to see for any holes or piping which could have come loose.

I only say this because since i fitted an intake i get this so called whine which is more apparent from the glovebox area when the windows are closed. The intake causes this whining noise from around 3-5000rpm and then the whine cuts off in the higher RPMs.

If i put the airbox cover (heatshield) back over the cone filter it does not make this whining noise.

Reactions: ub7rm
Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look there. Its all standard atm.

I would say its more of a transmission whine to be honest when she's on overrun. Pulls like a train and the noise isn't apparant at all when not holding the revs under any sort of acceleration. Only noticed it a couple of times, will have to reproduce it and see if I can identify the likely source better myself.

I didn't get any noise like this with my mk5 GTI, but despite the similarities the way the car behaves is a lot more different that I was expecting so maybe its not the benchmark I thought it would be. I was just expecting same but faster / grippier but there is more to it than that.