RS4 vs S3 (mapped)

Agreed there Alex! But my Stage 1 S3 would still leave you all in its wake! :racer: pmsl.

I think that as the last few posts have shown,we all like cars,but we all like different cars,or different twists on the same general theme,and thankfully there are V8's ,V10's and even some heavily turbo'd 4's to keep us all going,but what suits one isn't neccessarily going to suit another.
Don't forget turbo'd 5 cylinders too dude!:yum:

Don't forget turbo'd 5 cylinders too dude!:yum:
Thats half a V10....! seriously though,I knew as I was typing that I'd forgotten something,and now I know what it was!

Where I live on the A701 is one of the main routes from M74 to Edinburgh. Now nearly every 2-3 days over the last month I have seen a Nissan GTR on the back of a breakdown truck........the Audi garage have one in at the moment for £72k....was a trade in against a Q7.....has it moved yet.....NOPE!!! Apparently GTR's are having major problems at the minute with known issues............engine + gearbox = £20k. They keep falling like flies especially around my neck of the woods.......still would have an Audi as a lot cheaper to fix and more reliable.

Ok, a few things to note. All pre 2011 GTR came with a free service to have your car serviced (every 6 months) at the dealership of your choice. For this, Nissan pay to collect and deliver your car anywhere in country.

Since there are only 30 or so nissan dealers trained to work on the gtr, you'll see a lot of them in transit being collected for servicing, and since only two of these dealerships are in scotland, and you are on a main route into edinburgh, it might explain why you are seeing them.

Next, the gearbox thing was a problem in the beginning. a 50p circlip was breaking in an early batch and since Nissan's policy was to replace lock stock rather than repair, out of warranty the bill was £20k. Just this week, Nissan Japan have started repairing the boxes that do go wrong, but after a change in hardware from the earliest cars (2008) they simply don't break now. If you are paranoid, you can uprate the circlip from a 50p part to a £50 much more solid part that won't break!

Also, just noticed - £72k - that's the brand new price!

As for the car sitting on the forecourt, what do you expect, it's a £72k car, they don't shift like ford focuses, at least not out of dealerships.

interior-wise.. the gtr and the new rs4 are both nice, but very different....

2011-nissan-gt-r-interior.jpg

audi-rs4-interior.jpg

sorry.. thats the b7... here's the new one.. (sorry op for OT!):unsure:

2013-Audi-RS4-Interior.jpg

You can't tell from the photo but the feel and quality of the Audi interior is in a different league. The GTR is not as nice as an 8p s3 interior, never mind an RS4 or higher.

old thread i know....

most b7 rs4's on the road now have serious carbon build up around the valves, the owners are unaware of this, what was once a 420bhp car can have as little as 320bhp

race a mapped s3 8p against an rs4 b7 that's just had a carbon clean and the s3 will get left behind IMO

you think Adam? it's 414bhp claimed, most seem to make more like 380 from what I've seen, and it's a heavy old Barge. It also doesn't have the torque of the B5 RS4 like yours.

I'd say it's more likely to be a close run thing than a sure result. I had a play against Dane in my 300bhp A3 and against his 466bhp MRC tuned B5 RS4 there wasn't a lot in it. He had the legs, but not by much and certainly only on the straights. Given another 50bhp my way I think it'd have been an entirely different outcome.

all down to carbon build up imo, poor design, but really does not help when people don't rag them, hope audi fixed it in the newer engines

i hear you, but there was evidence recently that danes car was down about 60bhp, this was from a recent rolling road, so the problem / issue could have been there for a while, it was also only producing 416lb ft..... so a 300bhp, fwd 1150 kg (i think ?) vs a 400 bhp 1680kg awd would be similar, i'd imagine either way, at higher speed he would have left you though

how long does it take you to get from 62mph to 124mph ??

I've never timed it from 62-124 if I'm honest, like 0-60 + same again :laugh:

You're right though, power:weight only really applies up to a point, at which areodynamics come into play, and ultimate power wins regardless of weight. Above 100mph Danes would dispatch mine easily enough, but up to 100 or so there's really nothing in it, rolling pulls from 60mph and there wasn't a great difference.

I wonder why his is down on power? it's a fantastic car, such lazy effortless power!

least you understand, some people don't understand what you just stated !

i am only going by a dyno run i saw of it, but 66hp down is 15% down in power, could be many things, you know how bad the 1.8t's can be to diagnose, let alone a 2.7tt with 2 of everything ! lol

when i next see you i'll take you out on mine, it made 500bhp in 5th after going WOT through, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in a dyno room at 24c !! it makes 240bhp at 3,000 and 360bhp at 3,500 - so much different from stock ! take a look at the link in my sig

old thread i know....

most b7 rs4's on the road now have serious carbon build up around the valves, the owners are unaware of this, what was once a 420bhp car can have as little as 320bhp

race a mapped s3 8p against an rs4 b7 that's just had a carbon clean and the s3 will get left behind IMO

More thread resurrection....

It's a real pity that these cars(mine included) are so prone to carbon pickup on the valves,but it seems to be the price not only of current emissions regs,but also in some cases,direct injection.

Mine had done about 30 000 miles when the engine was rebuilt,and even with a catch can,there were still marked deposits on the valve stems.

However.....on the other note,like you,me and Prawn say,up to a point,power/weight ratio counts,and finally power Vs aero drag begins to weigh in.

But....what really matters,BHP or not,is the satisfaction it gives you.

I couldn't think of another hatch that could make me laugh as much as this does,or the fact that it's still as usable as the day I bought it.

Just look at N8, ^^Only 140 Ponies, He doesn't need 3 million horse power to have a good time, all he asks is for some 'bling bling' wheels and a chimney sweeper to get rid of the soot on Manchesters roads. :)

As much as I love the RS4 and think it is the better car (visually / dramatically / kerb appeal .........), it's easy to say this because I don't have £60k to buy a new RS4, and to be honest I'm too much of a pikey miser to be forking out for RS4 consumables every time the brakes, suspension or worse need replacing or the engine needs a clean out.

The S3 can be made into quite an 'interesting' alternative, but at about half the price and given it's more humble beginnings I don't really have the expectations of anything else.

Once I finish S2+ it will be quick and competent, but the pleasure I'd derive if I happened to outdrag an RS4 would be shortlived as at the end of the day no matter how I look at it the RS4 is just a stunning/more impressive car. I love them, especially the road presence and the attention to detail that is so woefully lacking in the S3. To be fair I'm not sure it's right to be comparing the two in the same sentence, but for the sake of the thread topic I think it just depends on what floats your boat.

The more time I spend on internet forums the more I notice that straight line speed / bhp figures are used by some people to justify a lesser car choice; yes you can make an S3 'quicker' than an RS4 but its all relative. If I could run an RS4 for S3 running costs would I be driving an S3, not likely, but then as I have no kids and I only need a 2 seater the RS4 is a touch bigger than I'd like.

As an alternative, the RS3 just doesn't carry the same wow factor for me as the B5/B7 RS4 now the newer models have a less flared / differentiated look to the RS's of old.

Last edited:
As much as I love the RS4 and think it is the better car (visually / dramatically / kerb appeal .........), it's easy to say this because I don't have £60k to buy a new RS4, and to be honest I'm too much of a pikey miser to be forking out for RS4 consumables every time the brakes, suspension or worse need replacing or the engine needs a clean out.

The S3 can be made into quite an 'interesting' alternative, but at about half the price and given it's more humble beginnings I don't really have the expectations of anything else.

Once I finish S2+ it will be quick and competent, but the pleasure I'd derive if I happened to outdrag an RS4 would be shortlived as at the end of the day no matter how I look at it the RS4 is just a stunning/more impressive car. I love them, especially the road presence and the attention to detail that is so woefully lacking in the S3. To be fair I'm not sure it's right to be comparing the two in the same sentence, but for the sake of the thread topic I think it just depends on what floats your boat.

The more time I spend on internet forums the more I notice that straight line speed / bhp figures are used by some people to justify a car lesser choice; yes you can make an S3 'quicker' than an RS4 but its all relative. If I could run an RS4 for S3 running costs would I be driving an S3, not likely, but then as I have no kids and I only need a 2 seater the RS4 is a touch bigger than I'd like.

As an alternative, the RS3 just doesn't carry the same wow factor for me as the B5/B7 RS4 now the newer models have a less flared / differentiated look to the RS's of old.

I think again it reflects the differences in what we all want or expect from our cars,modified or not.

Would I like an RS4?......at one time I thought I would,and did have a good look,but much as I love the engine,it's just not what I wanted in the end,so the S3 was bought,initially not with any intentions to modify it,as I thought I'd overcome that addiction.

As it turned out,I havent....

Just look at N8, ^^Only 140 Ponies, He doesn't need 3 million horse power to have a good time, all he asks is for some 'bling bling' wheels and a chimney sweeper to get rid of the soot on Manchesters roads. :)

Gonna be 220 ponies soon, and still 500 miles to the tank, so nip a hole in it you :laugh:

Gonna be 220 ponies soon, and still 500 miles to the tank, so nip a hole in it you :laugh:

If only.....the only hole I have is in the wallet.

I don't have 500 horses, but I still have a masses of bank account cancer, don't worry Alex :laugh:

It only gets worse,doesnt it!

That B8 RS4 interior, and missing out on THE B7 I wanted... I'm leaning towards a B8 S4 and a map. Thought? Tips?

Slightly different point of view.... I got dusted by a black B7 RS4. I could see it had been tinkered with but no idea to what stage. 1st & 2nd he pulled away slightly, 3rd was the only gear I gained it back and 4th+ he pulled away.

Slightly different point of view.... I got dusted by a black B7 RS4. I could see it had been tinkered with but no idea to what stage. 1st & 2nd he pulled away slightly, 3rd was the only gear I gained it back and 4th+ he pulled away.

Given you're running S2+ he must have been well tuned!

You know the solution to that......

That B8 RS4 interior, and missing out on THE B7 I wanted... I'm leaning towards a B8 S4 and a map. Thought? Tips?

I think save it till you find the car you want. Not sat in the new S4, but the older S4 - RS4's were a bit different. I just think the RS is that little bit special!

As previously quoted, if I could run an RS4 for S3 money then I know what I'd be in!
In saying that, I'm sure all the petrol heads here will agree, given the money we'd all have a fleet of cars!

At the end of the day its true what they say
Theres no replacement for displacement...

Last edited:

The b8 s4 is the car to buy. With a few relatively inexpensive modifications you will be knocking on the door of 500bhp and a lot of torque. The b7 & b8 rs4 could only dream of that (excluding charging it)

The b8 s4 is the car to buy. With a few relatively inexpensive modifications you will be knocking on the door of 500bhp and a lot of torque. The b7 & b8 rs4 could only dream of that (excluding charging it)

The decision I need to make is whether power is what I'm after... an RS4 has always been a dream car of mine and with the option to fit a s/c in the future, will do me for quite a while. Also, I've always wanted a V8. The problem with them is that they're getting a few miles on them now, and good ones are hard to find. Looks-wise there's not a lot in it, the B7 does nothing for me if not in RS guise, but the B8s pretty much all look great. The S4 also has the S-tronic option which is something I'm pretty tempted by.

If my S3 would hurry up and sell I could start hunting properly, might even pop into Audi and look at trade-in options. I know a remap alone can take the V6T to 440PS and 540Nm, and add a pulley, intake and exhaust and it's 480PS/570Nm (plus more note!) - figures from MRC.