Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: RS4 vs S3 (mapped)

RPB
    2nd Gear

Status
    Agreed there Alex! But my Stage 1 S3 would still leave you all in its wake! pmsl.
    2011 61 plate S3 SB BE DSG - Shark Stage 1 + DSG

2. # ADS
    ADS

All the gear.. No idea

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    I think that as the last few posts have shown,we all like cars,but we all like different cars,or different twists on the same general theme,and thankfully there are V8's ,V10's and even some heavily turbo'd 4's to keep us all going,but what suits one isn't neccessarily going to suit another.
    Don't forget turbo'd 5 cylinders too dude!
    Red is the colour..

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattro81 View Post
    Don't forget turbo'd 5 cylinders too dude!
    Thats half a V10....! seriously though,I knew as I was typing that I'd forgotten something,and now I know what it was!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    Where I live on the A701 is one of the main routes from M74 to Edinburgh. Now nearly every 2-3 days over the last month I have seen a Nissan GTR on the back of a breakdown truck........the Audi garage have one in at the moment for £72k....was a trade in against a Q7.....has it moved yet.....NOPE!!! Apparently GTR's are having major problems at the minute with known issues............engine + gearbox = £20k. They keep falling like flies especially around my neck of the woods.......still would have an Audi as a lot cheaper to fix and more reliable.
    Ok, a few things to note. All pre 2011 GTR came with a free service to have your car serviced (every 6 months) at the dealership of your choice. For this, Nissan pay to collect and deliver your car anywhere in country.

Since there are only 30 or so nissan dealers trained to work on the gtr, you'll see a lot of them in transit being collected for servicing, and since only two of these dealerships are in scotland, and you are on a main route into edinburgh, it might explain why you are seeing them.

Next, the gearbox thing was a problem in the beginning. a 50p circlip was breaking in an early batch and since Nissan's policy was to replace lock stock rather than repair, out of warranty the bill was £20k. Just this week, Nissan Japan have started repairing the boxes that do go wrong, but after a change in hardware from the earliest cars (2008) they simply don't break now. If you are paranoid, you can uprate the circlip from a 50p part to a £50 much more solid part that won't break!

Also, just noticed - £72k - that's the brand new price!

As for the car sitting on the forecourt, what do you expect, it's a £72k car, they don't shift like ford focuses, at least not out of dealerships.

Gievf Buckets

Status
    i always thought you were living in england Alex?

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

All the gear.. No idea

Status
    interior-wise.. the gtr and the new rs4 are both nice, but very different....

Red is the colour..

All the gear.. No idea

Status
    sorry.. thats the b7... here's the new one.. (sorry op for OT!)

Red is the colour..

1st Gear

Status
    You can't tell from the photo but the feel and quality of the Audi interior is in a different league. The GTR is not as nice as an 8p s3 interior, never mind an RS4 or higher.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    The RS4 @ Worthersee was out of this world

colicabcadam
    old thread i know....

most b7 rs4's on the road now have serious carbon build up around the valves, the owners are unaware of this, what was once a 420bhp car can have as little as 320bhp

race a mapped s3 8p against an rs4 b7 that's just had a carbon clean and the s3 will get left behind IMO

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    you think Adam? it's 414bhp claimed, most seem to make more like 380 from what I've seen, and it's a heavy old Barge. It also doesn't have the torque of the B5 RS4 like yours.

I'd say it's more likely to be a close run thing than a sure result. I had a play against Dane in my 300bhp A3 and against his 466bhp MRC tuned B5 RS4 there wasn't a lot in it. He had the legs, but not by much and certainly only on the straights. Given another 50bhp my way I think it'd have been an entirely different outcome.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

colicabcadam
    all down to carbon build up imo, poor design, but really does not help when people don't rag them, hope audi fixed it in the newer engines

i hear you, but there was evidence recently that danes car was down about 60bhp, this was from a recent rolling road, so the problem / issue could have been there for a while, it was also only producing 416lb ft..... so a 300bhp, fwd 1150 kg (i think ?) vs a 400 bhp 1680kg awd would be similar, i'd imagine either way, at higher speed he would have left you though

how long does it take you to get from 62mph to 124mph ??

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    I've never timed it from 62-124 if I'm honest, like 0-60 + same again

You're right though, power:weight only really applies up to a point, at which areodynamics come into play, and ultimate power wins regardless of weight. Above 100mph Danes would dispatch mine easily enough, but up to 100 or so there's really nothing in it, rolling pulls from 60mph and there wasn't a great difference.

I wonder why his is down on power? it's a fantastic car, such lazy effortless power!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

colicabcadam
    least you understand, some people don't understand what you just stated !

i am only going by a dyno run i saw of it, but 66hp down is 15% down in power, could be many things, you know how bad the 1.8t's can be to diagnose, let alone a 2.7tt with 2 of everything ! lol

when i next see you i'll take you out on mine, it made 500bhp in 5th after going WOT through, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in a dyno room at 24c !! it makes 240bhp at 3,000 and 360bhp at 3,500 - so much different from stock ! take a look at the link in my sig

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by colicabcadam View Post
    old thread i know....

most b7 rs4's on the road now have serious carbon build up around the valves, the owners are unaware of this, what was once a 420bhp car can have as little as 320bhp

race a mapped s3 8p against an rs4 b7 that's just had a carbon clean and the s3 will get left behind IMO
    More thread resurrection....

It's a real pity that these cars(mine included) are so prone to carbon pickup on the valves,but it seems to be the price not only of current emissions regs,but also in some cases,direct injection.

Mine had done about 30 000 miles when the engine was rebuilt,and even with a catch can,there were still marked deposits on the valve stems.

However.....on the other note,like you,me and Prawn say,up to a point,power/weight ratio counts,and finally power Vs aero drag begins to weigh in.

But....what really matters,BHP or not,is the satisfaction it gives you.

I couldn't think of another hatch that could make me laugh as much as this does,or the fact that it's still as usable as the day I bought it.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Well said Alex

5th Gear

Status
    me want stage 2+ lol!
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Just look at N8, ^^Only 140 Ponies, He doesn't need 3 million horse power to have a good time, all he asks is for some 'bling bling' wheels and a chimney sweeper to get rid of the soot on Manchesters roads.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDejavu View Post
    me want stage 2+ lol!
    You know it....!

S.
    5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDejavu View Post
    me want stage 2+ lol!
    go for it :D
    it makes a difference...
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

/ Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...

Status
    As much as I love the RS4 and think it is the better car (visually / dramatically / kerb appeal .........), it's easy to say this because I don't have £60k to buy a new RS4, and to be honest I'm too much of a pikey miser to be forking out for RS4 consumables every time the brakes, suspension or worse need replacing or the engine needs a clean out.

The S3 can be made into quite an 'interesting' alternative, but at about half the price and given it's more humble beginnings I don't really have the expectations of anything else.

Once I finish S2+ it will be quick and competent, but the pleasure I'd derive if I happened to outdrag an RS4 would be shortlived as at the end of the day no matter how I look at it the RS4 is just a stunning/more impressive car. I love them, especially the road presence and the attention to detail that is so woefully lacking in the S3. To be fair I'm not sure it's right to be comparing the two in the same sentence, but for the sake of the thread topic I think it just depends on what floats your boat.

The more time I spend on internet forums the more I notice that straight line speed / bhp figures are used by some people to justify a lesser car choice; yes you can make an S3 'quicker' than an RS4 but its all relative. If I could run an RS4 for S3 running costs would I be driving an S3, not likely, but then as I have no kids and I only need a 2 seater the RS4 is a touch bigger than I'd like.

As an alternative, the RS3 just doesn't carry the same wow factor for me as the B5/B7 RS4 now the newer models have a less flared / differentiated look to the RS's of old.
    Last edited by warren_S5; 9th October 2012 at 15:42.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    As much as I love the RS4 and think it is the better car (visually / dramatically / kerb appeal .........), it's easy to say this because I don't have £60k to buy a new RS4, and to be honest I'm too much of a pikey miser to be forking out for RS4 consumables every time the brakes, suspension or worse need replacing or the engine needs a clean out.

The S3 can be made into quite an 'interesting' alternative, but at about half the price and given it's more humble beginnings I don't really have the expectations of anything else.

Once I finish S2+ it will be quick and competent, but the pleasure I'd derive if I happened to outdrag an RS4 would be shortlived as at the end of the day no matter how I look at it the RS4 is just a stunning/more impressive car. I love them, especially the road presence and the attention to detail that is so woefully lacking in the S3. To be fair I'm not sure it's right to be comparing the two in the same sentence, but for the sake of the thread topic I think it just depends on what floats your boat.

The more time I spend on internet forums the more I notice that straight line speed / bhp figures are used by some people to justify a car lesser choice; yes you can make an S3 'quicker' than an RS4 but its all relative. If I could run an RS4 for S3 running costs would I be driving an S3, not likely, but then as I have no kids and I only need a 2 seater the RS4 is a touch bigger than I'd like.

As an alternative, the RS3 just doesn't carry the same wow factor for me as the B5/B7 RS4 now the newer models have a less flared / differentiated look to the RS's of old.
    I think again it reflects the differences in what we all want or expect from our cars,modified or not.

Would I like an RS4?......at one time I thought I would,and did have a good look,but much as I love the engine,it's just not what I wanted in the end,so the S3 was bought,initially not with any intentions to modify it,as I thought I'd overcome that addiction.

As it turned out,I havent....

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    Just look at N8, ^^Only 140 Ponies, He doesn't need 3 million horse power to have a good time, all he asks is for some 'bling bling' wheels and a chimney sweeper to get rid of the soot on Manchesters roads.
    Gonna be 220 ponies soon, and still 500 miles to the tank, so nip a hole in it you

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Gonna be 220 ponies soon, and still 500 miles to the tank, so nip a hole in it you
    If only.....the only hole I have is in the wallet.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

If only.....the only hole I have is in the wallet.
    I don't have 500 horses, but I still have a masses of bank account cancer, don't worry Alex

Rarely neutral

Status
    I don't have 500 horses, but I still have a masses of bank account cancer, don't worry Alex
    It only gets worse,doesnt it!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    go for it :D
    it makes a difference...
    Oh I bet it does! Hopefully exhaust will get fitted by the end of the year and then rest of the bits early next year.
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

It only gets worse,doesnt it!
    It does, but I'm trying to tie things up and finish it off now, wanna get a Mk2 next year for the wife

Status
    Sh1t man!!! Stick a leash on that thing!!!
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    Sh1t man!!! Stick a leash on that thing!!!
    I'm gonna leash you in a minute lad

Status
    I'm gonna leash you in a minute lad
    Haha I'm not into that sorta thing buddy

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

6th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow MartayMcFly On Twitter Visit MartayMcFly's Youtube Channel Visit MartayMcFly's Instagram Channel
    That B8 RS4 interior, and missing out on THE B7 I wanted... I'm leaning towards a B8 S4 and a map. Thought? Tips?
    Hunt is over

1st Audi - 2001 Ming Blue 8L S3 210
    2nd Audi - 2008 Black 8P2 S3 3dr
    and now - 2007 Daytona Grey B7 RS4 saloon

3rd Gear

Status
    Slightly different point of view.... I got dusted by a black B7 RS4. I could see it had been tinkered with but no idea to what stage. 1st & 2nd he pulled away slightly, 3rd was the only gear I gained it back and 4th+ he pulled away.

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DeckedS3 View Post
    Slightly different point of view.... I got dusted by a black B7 RS4. I could see it had been tinkered with but no idea to what stage. 1st & 2nd he pulled away slightly, 3rd was the only gear I gained it back and 4th+ he pulled away.
    Given you're running S2+ he must have been well tuned!

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DeckedS3 View Post
    You know the solution to that......

Flat Oot like a ducks Foot

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MartayMcFly View Post
    That B8 RS4 interior, and missing out on THE B7 I wanted... I'm leaning towards a B8 S4 and a map. Thought? Tips?
    I think save it till you find the car you want. Not sat in the new S4, but the older S4 - RS4's were a bit different. I just think the RS is that little bit special!

As previously quoted, if I could run an RS4 for S3 money then I know what I'd be in!
    In saying that, I'm sure all the petrol heads here will agree, given the money we'd all have a fleet of cars!

At the end of the day its true what they say
    Theres no replacement for displacement...
    Last edited by S3quatt; 31st October 2012 at 17:56.
    ...... Now this one's MUCH better!...

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    Given you're running S2+ he must have been well tuned!
    Quite possibly, it sounded nice!

You know the solution to that......
    It's tempting, but I want to see what else VAG drop the 2.5t into....

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MartayMcFly View Post
    The b8 s4 is the car to buy. With a few relatively inexpensive modifications you will be knocking on the door of 500bhp and a lot of torque. The b7 & b8 rs4 could only dream of that (excluding charging it)

6th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow MartayMcFly On Twitter Visit MartayMcFly's Youtube Channel Visit MartayMcFly's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by HEKTOR View Post
    The b8 s4 is the car to buy. With a few relatively inexpensive modifications you will be knocking on the door of 500bhp and a lot of torque. The b7 & b8 rs4 could only dream of that (excluding charging it)
    The decision I need to make is whether power is what I'm after... an RS4 has always been a dream car of mine and with the option to fit a s/c in the future, will do me for quite a while. Also, I've always wanted a V8. The problem with them is that they're getting a few miles on them now, and good ones are hard to find. Looks-wise there's not a lot in it, the B7 does nothing for me if not in RS guise, but the B8s pretty much all look great. The S4 also has the S-tronic option which is something I'm pretty tempted by.

If my S3 would hurry up and sell I could start hunting properly, might even pop into Audi and look at trade-in options. I know a remap alone can take the V6T to 440PS and 540Nm, and add a pulley, intake and exhaust and it's 480PS/570Nm (plus more note!) - figures from MRC.
    Hunt is over

1st Audi - 2001 Ming Blue 8L S3 210
    2nd Audi - 2008 Black 8P2 S3 3dr
    and now - 2007 Daytona Grey B7 RS4 saloon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12