folding mirrors

steveaudia3

Reaction score
hi all , I seen a few forum threads about someone trying to get his folding mirrors working with his key so when he turned the engine off and locked the car the mirrors folded. he did get then to work but it wasn't straight forward and I think he had to order some parts. so anyway I would like this on my a3 and wondered if there was anybody near Nottingham that could do this for me and if they could give me a price? Steve

I have this feature on my current car and am ordering it on my next, an A3.

Are you saying that the mirrors do NOT fold automatically when you lock the car with the key fob?? I had just assumed this was a given.

Nope. This is not a function that is available on the current A3.

Ash has sorted it, but has a few bugs that I expect he will be sorting when he has the time.

Oh right. This is a mod I'll def be wanting then as I park on the road, plus the folded mirrors instantly tell me the car is locked.

Oh right. This is a mod I'll def be wanting then as I park on the road, plus the folded mirrors instantly tell me the car is locked.
thats the thing I like about it. anyone help ?

Yh i did it! and i believe i am still the only one with an A3 that does it?? (maybe nigel has, cannot remember if he said he finished it or not) :think:
the mirrors fold perfectly when i lock the car and unfold when i unlock it. the only thing i have left to do with it is make a new switch in the car to fold manually as the folding signal is now running from the central locking signal.
only reason this last bit has taken a bit of time is because i dont want to put in a silly switch that doesnt look part of the car so finding an OEM switch is a little hard. i have an idea for it though so just need to wait to get a bit more money in my pocket before i go off and buy other parts.

If you want the mod installed i can do it for you but it would mean a fair bit of travel for us.

anyway here is the original thread for anyone that wants to read up on it: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...2367-facelift-dumbo-mirrors-fitted-guide.html

thanks for the reply and I agree it's a bit far to travel and if you are the only one to have done it then it looks like I'm struggling . I would have a go myself but don't want mess it up . so still on the look out

Wow seems like this is not just a re coding job then, which is what I hoped.

So, if I already have power mirrors, what does it cost to fit the kit to make them work off the key fob?

Fitting a manual folding switch is hardly ever gonna get used. The only time I've ever manually folded my mirrors is when reversing out of a tight multi storey car park next to a concrete pillar.

no its alot more than coding on the A3... requires a relay and some diodes and a load of wiring and soldering... not to mention the stripping down of the doors and the front of the cabin.
not for the faint hearted, but its so nice to have it.

as for the switch yes your right it is hardly used but still a nice feature to have... as is most of the 'optional extras' i have fitted onto mine.

have a look at my blog in my sig and you will see the list of stuff i have done

You dont need a new switch, you just need to think more about the circuit design a little more & the fact the switch is only realistically used when the ignition is on.

As advised its not a simple plugnplay & yes I have had it all working on my car for a while, but disconnected atm for other mods & module upgrades.

The problem is, as Ash states, it takes a fair while to implement so allot of people arent prepared to pay the fair chunk of change to have it fitted, its not a £50 job by a long chalk.

I'm actually looking into a much easier way to do this, but its hugely technical & no guarantee of success, but would, if it come of, be a programming job.

My father in law has just taken delivery of an A3 140TDI which has got electric folding mirrors, so it is now available.....does that mean you can use OE parts to do this more simply now ?

My father in law has just taken delivery of an A3 140TDI which has got electric folding mirrors, so it is now available.....does that mean you can use OE parts to do this more simply now ?

Was this from the Key though or via the switch in the car?

I would love the A3 to do it, my 2008 Leon does it from the key.....

Cheers,
Si

Nigel I had a look into the actual mirror switch and found only 4 wires coming off it. Positive, negative, left mirror motor and right mirror motor. I then figured out its sending the folding signal from the door modules using the canbus. As there isn't an independant signal wire for the fold.
This is why I opted for the extra switch in the car as I am not using the canbus to control the fold, rather using gold old electronics to pick up the signal and fold when locked.

You're not thinking about the folding wires & the switch independently mate, you dont use the switch to fold on locking, think more about the resting & ignition on positions of the actual folding mirror wires, no need to disconnect the switch, you will need relays.

I had a 91 import Honda CRX SiR, that i managed to get the mirrors to fold on lock/unlock from my Ai606 alarm. That was a fair bit of work, and that was a basic setup. Just needed a few diodes, relay etc.

Ive quickly discovered nothing on an Audi is easy, Canbus is the bane of my life! I can imagine the work involved, and thats doing it myself! Let alone the cost of sourcing the parts.

I was looking for an illumination wire for my stereo today, but Canbus struck again, at the switch atleast. Ran out of time.

I love everything about my Audi a3 but this would just make the difference .

You dont need a new switch, you just need to think more about the circuit design a little more & the fact the switch is only realistically used when the ignition is on.

As advised its not a simple plugnplay & yes I have had it all working on my car for a while, but disconnected atm for other mods & module upgrades.

The problem is, as Ash states, it takes a fair while to implement so allot of people arent prepared to pay the fair chunk of change to have it fitted, its not a £50 job by a long chalk.

I'm actually looking into a much easier way to do this, but its hugely technical & no guarantee of success, but would, if it come of, be a programming job.

haha lad know your feeling, info moochers dont realise the cost of shelling out for 6 modules new from audi before you find the working one!

haha lad know your feeling, info moochers dont realise the cost of shelling out for 6 modules new from audi before you find the working one!

This is true lol, we'll have it cracked soon mate.

yeah im confident that the leveller is the final piece of the puzzle as everything codes fine and the error code is a bs communication one i eagerly await your results as turns out tps forgot to order mine! useless b*******! nice new set of led lights little dipping for my interior parts and all will be sweet before i go on jolliday! :)

I hope my light bulb moment fixes it for the 3 of us lol.

Got another issue to look at for a client today, shows main headlight fault in dis but no faults on any modules, work that one out lol.

I hope my light bulb moment fixes it for the 3 of us lol.

Got another issue to look at for a client today, shows main headlight fault in dis but no faults on any modules, work that one out lol.

if it is facelift i have heard of issues with the housings themselves lad, might help you out

faulty instrument cluster... return to manufacturer ::jump:

Its not a faulty cluster, I've seen similar issues when using newer systems on older cars, probably an incompatibility with another module which is resolved when updated discovered module, which I'll address at some point, plummed my cluster in & does same thing so rules that out.

if it is facelift i have heard of issues with the housings themselves lad, might help you out

Nah pre, he has a very early 8P as the passenger airbag of light is in roof assembly, so some reaearch needed, nothing major as everything works 100% :)

hmm interesting one nige let me know how you get on or if youre needing a pair of eyes, that is old haha! 53 plate? the housings is one to keep in mind in case of other jobs though quite a few have been changed when i spoke to an ex audi tech that has joined autologic