If your car isnt mapped, WELL IT SHOULD BE

Any problems, unhappiness Shark will sort, it's part of our job ;)

Thanks N8...I could just do with some help from someone in the know-how really. Am I best seeing what the RR results are then contacting you if things aren't right? Do you know if you RR will show some indication of whether or not the DSG is holding some of the power back?

Its DSG software that sends request to limit the overall power and limit the torque curve and now its up to tuning company if they know how to make their map ignore this request and keep power figures still. My 2 p

Thanks N8...I could just do with some help from someone in the know-how really. Am I best seeing what the RR results are then contacting you if things aren't right? Do you know if you RR will show some indication of whether or not the DSG is holding some of the power back?

Yes brother, get it booked in and they'll sort it for sure!

I think that for most cars most of the time,there are no issues,but occasionally there are problems with individual engines and the expected result isn't delivered.

This has occurred with Revo and other maps and it clearly isn't confined to any one map or software package.

It has been used to bash Revo previously but really is just an indicator that the popularity of one map will show up occasional glitches.

As long as the developer gets on top of it,that's what really matters for customer satisfaction.

When we had some mapping issues with mine,the developer(Revo in my case ) was onto it efficiently and I am sure yours will do the same.

Cheers Al.
I have spoken to the tuner and although very helpful, the advice was that a DSG map was the fix. It's not what I wanted to hear as it's not an option for me. So unless I can reach some solution at Inters assuming I get a chance to see the Shark guys then I may consider removing the map as it seems pointless having the insurance and warranty issues for such marginal (If any) gains.
For the record though, N8 and the Shark guys have provided a very professional service despite the disapointment in my individual case.

It's interesting really, the thing is I've been in and driven my friends revo Mk5 golf edition 30 TFSI DSG (same engine as S3).

He started at stage 1 then 2 and is now at 2+.

Each stage was a huge leap from each one. you could really notice the differences. regardless of DSG mapping, It's since been done and it's no faster but it is slightly more sensitive at slower speeds. So personally, I think it's horse manure that a DSG map is needed. Yes, it will allow more redline action and to raise launch control rev's.

Now with Shark from what I can gather from various people on here is that the difference from stock to stage 1 is pretty "weedy"

I've only encounted my S3 stage 2 with Shark but i have had stage 1 from another tuning company on my previous 8p S3, and if i was asked am I satisfied or not with stage 2? I'd say no, the differences are minimal, but it is smooth.

However I'm holding out for my fuel pump then I'll get it looked at and twiddled with.

If the difference at stage 3 (2+)isn't massive I'm gonna an do my nut! It will be there "second chance" to prove their skills.

I also have nothing negative against Shark representives. they all seem cracking people. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You dont pay 450 to deal with nice people but to get proper gains at the end of the day unless you love to be messed around. I had Bluefin map and it was crap but cheap and easy to remove which actually saved me a lot of hassle going to the Headquaters and smash few programmers in their face:].

Is shark's stage 1 remap for DSG and manual cars the same?
My car (DSG) is remapped by superchips/bluefin and was accidentally remapped using the manual version. The car just didn't run right... i.e. hesitated and struggled when accelerating hard from low speeds and generally started to feel like it was holding back.
I got superchips to send me their correct remap for DSG cars and everything is fine now... a considerable and very noticeable difference in power and no hesitations or bad running.
According to the guy I spoke to at Superchips the way manual and DSG cars should be remapped is very different.
I'm not sure if shark are offering one engine remap for both gearboxes but if they are then could this be part of the "no wow factor" problem?
Or maybe they have one for DSG and one for manual cars and some of you guys have the wrong one?

Last edited:
They know what map they have sent me and have not said anything about it being wrong. My car will not be DSG mapped until I see the RR proof that it needs it.

If it needed the dsg map, then surely that should have been mentioned before the original map went on, not as an afterthought to address any problems, that doesn't sound very professional to me.
I would be a bit miffed if that was the case but tbh I've not heard of this issue with any other tuner!
My experience of a similar issue was with a 95ron map installed instead of the 98ron one which I had on my old LCR. Once the 98ron was put on it flew.

They know what map they have sent me and have not said anything about it being wrong. My car will not be DSG mapped until I see the RR proof that it needs it.

Worth asking them the question I think... are shark engine remaps tailored to the type of gearbox the car has??

If it needed the dsg map, then surely that should have been mentioned before the original map went on, not as an afterthought to address any problems

Good point.
Been chewing this over.

You dont pay 450 to deal with nice people but to get proper gains at the end of the day unless you love to be messed around. .

Spot on, the real test is how well an outfit deals with a problem, I am sure the guys will come good.
Will go stock this week and make some comparisons.
Pottering around like Miss Daisy at 21mpg is fairly painful though......

Paul, I want to get your car sorted ;)

Appreciated.

But of an update, as well as the sooty tips, there are specks of carbon deposits all over the back of the car too.
Will have to go stock asap to be on the safe side, something isnt right.:sob:

(********, USB cable is at work...)

cheers
Paul

Last edited:
I don't have any mpg issues so that's one thing! Did a good run about yesterday around A38 n M1 and got nearly 31 mpg. I need a good chat with Shark HQ to see where we go with mine. The more I think about it, the more I am feeling aggrieved at having to pay for a DSG map when that was never mentioned on the website. I don't see why this is so. If that is required then it should have been marketed like that to start with. Will see on Weds.

If that post was to me N8 it is booked in Weds. Will see then what the issues are. ATM I have had good support so thats good.

Just give them a call please and we'll get it sorted!

Yeah, will do tommorow N8, hopefully the guys will come good with another map as a 300mile round trip to HQ is not ideal.
Do they open on a Sat?

That's good man, just want all issues to be resolved, and everyone to be happy, as this thread has gone the wrong way tbh.

Agreed. The OP has had the mother of all thread hijacks! Lol. Sorry to the OP. this is my last post on this thread. After Weds I am posting a new topic on my whole experience. Good customer service needs praising as well in this day and age of rip off main dealers.

A DSG Car needs mapping differently to a manual, that is fact.

If you map it in the same way, then you will have much less midrange torque on the DSG car as it will limit the torque.

Rick

Appreciated.

But of an update, as well as the sooty tips, there are specks of carbon deposits all over the back of the car too.
Will have to go stock asap to be on the safe side, something isnt right.:sob:

(********, USB cable is at work...)

cheers
Paul

got this on mine too.....N8 is this right?

I have this....too, so at least it's consistent.....
It's not unusual.....when you increase the boost,fuelling is also increased,and most cars are run somewhat rich to avoid pre-ignition and keep EGTs down,but soot on the rear(!) and smoke trails under heavy load are the result.

the classic line from the soot chuckers is probably in order. "no smoke no poke"

I also have sooty tips on mine too, noticed a bit of smoke now and again too. Did it the other night.

Not noticed smoke tbh
Maybe not frank smoke,but a bit of haze behind the car......yours probably doesnt burn quite as much as mine...LOL.

MY THREAD HAS DEFO BEEN HIJACKED...... :wtf:

Anymore on this?