I have a custom flat bottom steering wheel no horn - any suggestions please!?

DJ_Troopa

Reaction score
I put a topic up recently about my custom flat bottom steering wheel which has a custom made centre piece. Therefore it has no airbag or horn. The airbag i have now got around by purchasing a resistor but haven't fitted yet. Reason i haven't fitted yet is because i also don't have a horn.

Now a horn is VERY important to me and i've used it god knows how many times to prevent people from crashing into me!

I know i can get a push button from Maplins which could be my horn button, BUT how on earth am i going to wire this up so the horn actually beeps when i press the button? What are the connections like behind the steering wheel? 1 plug for airbag and 1 plug for horn? Or is it 1 connection plug?

Ideas greatly appreciated! :)

AJ

Its one main plug that goes into the slip ring. From the plug there are several pins that come off it and go to different parts on the back of the airbag. and as you have guessed one (maybe 2) pins are used for the horn... but i have no idea which wire it is as i have not been able to find the airbag plug wiring in ELSA and the PC that has ELSA on it has blew up the PSU and i haven't got round to fitting in the new one yet (hopefully tonight)

Edit: I guess someone could be nice enough to take off their airbag and trace the wires from the back of the airbag to the plug... but dont look at me as i have like no time over the next few days :sorry:

Its just a push to touch button as such, as its just a simple pushing of airbag makes 2 contacts touch, you can either tap into the steering cu directly via soldering or grab airbag loom & fit the button/s on the wheel itself, you'd need to check for your car, but its probably using a shared + or - wire & sends a signal to the CE module to switch relay feed to horns, alternatively just hook directly into the horn relay.