Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 63 of 63
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Mobile police units

  1. #41
    MrLapou's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    1,209
    It's interesting how speeders are sneaky breaking the speed, only to hit the brakes if they see a police car and or camera..
    If they stuck to the speed limit such sudden braking and potential bad practices could be avoided.
    I laugh at the twits who race by, then all of a sudden hit the brakes when they see a camera, then after a 1/2mile race of.
    But then it's their licence, penalty points and higher insurance premiums at stake..

    People bleating on, cameras make money have themselves to blame. Stick to the limits and camera will take in no money. So it's the motorist who feed these machines..

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #42
    Artimus's Avatar
    Short Back

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,840
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLapou View Post
    It's interesting how speeders are sneaky breaking the speed, only to hit the brakes if they see a police car and or camera..
    If they stuck to the speed limit such sudden braking and potential bad practices could be avoided.
    I laugh at the twits who race by, then all of a sudden hit the brakes when they see a camera, then after a 1/2mile race of.
    But then it's their licence, penalty points and higher insurance premiums at stake..

    People bleating on, cameras make money have themselves to blame. Stick to the limits and camera will take in no money. So it's the motorist who feed these machines..
    Do you really need to be so condescending?

    Mobile Speed cameras are all about taxation! If the areas these camera vans & radar traps randomly pop up at are so risky, why not put permanent cameras in place and save money by not having to pay for an operator and the van?

    UK motorists have every right to feel aggrieved at being fleeced again by money-spinning police forces that use these tactics to balance their budgets! we've already paid tax on our cars at the point of sale, tax to park it on our own property, tax on fuel, tax for fixing our broken roads that rarely ever get fixed and are forced to pay rates of £200 per hour for an M.O.T (£50 for 15 minutes work) that's only really a guarantee of conformity up until the moment you leave the issuing garage's premises.

    Speed limits are, in many cases, set artificially low by councilors that have never driven many of the routes they govern! they take the word of non-driving, pram-pushing mothers as gospel, Police Committees that have a vested interest in fining motorists, the Cyclists Convention and the Green Lobby. Unfortunately our Governments see car ownership as a luxury, not a necessity! their preferred method of transport for the masses is the Public type! their excuse for taxing us to within an inch of our lives - we don't need to drive.

    Mobile Speed Units are less to do with policing speed and everything to do with wringing every last drop of disposable cash out of motorists pockets, and anyone that fails to see that is a sad victim of political brainwashing IMHO.

    anyone want to know the intricacies of speed camera legality should visit Pepipoo.com
    Last edited by Artimus; 2nd December 2012 at 17:39.
    s3_trev likes this.
    ................................................
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

  4. #43
    Fossie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Rhubarb Triangle
    Posts
    3,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
    Do you really need to be so condescending?

    Mobile Speed cameras are all about taxation! If the areas these camera vans & radar traps randomly pop up at are so risky, why not put permanent cameras in place and save money by not having to pay for an operator and the van?

    UK motorists have every right to feel aggrieved at being fleeced again by money-spinning police forces that use these tactics to balance their budgets! we've already paid tax on our cars at the point of sale, tax to park it on our own property, tax on fuel, tax for fixing our broken roads that rarely ever get fixed and are forced to pay rates of £200 per hour for an M.O.T (£50 for 15 minutes work) that's only really a guarantee of conformity up until the moment you leave the issuing garage's premises.

    Speed limits are, in many cases, set artificially low by councilors that have never driven many of the routes they govern! they take the word of non-driving, pram-pushing mothers as gospel, Police Committees that have a vested interest in fining motorists, the Cyclists Convention and the Green Lobby. Unfortunately our Governments see car ownership as a luxury, not a necessity! their preferred method of transport for the masses is the Public type! their excuse for taxing us to within an inch of our lives - we don't need to drive.

    Mobile Speed Units are less to do with policing speed and everything to do with wringing every last drop of disposable cash out of motorists pockets, and anyone that fails to see that is a sad victim of political brainwashing IMHO.

    anyone want to know the intricacies of speed camera legality should visit Pepipoo.com
    Goodness me - you really are bitter aren't you ?!!!!

  5. #44
    Artimus's Avatar
    Short Back

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,840
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    Goodness me - you really are bitter aren't you ?!!!!
    and you're very judgmental.
    s3_trev likes this.
    ................................................
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

  6. #45
    Fossie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Rhubarb Triangle
    Posts
    3,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
    and you're very judgmental.
    What ? You've just entered into a diatribe slating everything to do with law enforcement, fund raising or safety wise and you call me judgemental ?

    Grow up

  7. #46
    Artimus's Avatar
    Short Back

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,840
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    What ? You've just entered into a diatribe slating everything to do with law enforcement, fund raising or safety wise and you call me judgemental ?

    Grow up
    err... I have the greatest of respect for our Police officers & pay my taxes every year without fail! I understand it's not the ones on the streets directing resources to this end, so they can't really be blamed for doing their duty & I'm not blaming them - read what you quoted & know what I've said before attributing your misunderstood assumption to me! I never mentioned Enforcement, you did! I spoke of Speed Traps only.

    I currently have zero points on my license, so have no axe to grind with law enforcement, and am old enough to have been driving for 34 years & with that 34 years (some of it professional) comes a wealth of experience on the matter.

    how's that for mis-judgment?
    s3_trev likes this.
    ................................................
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

  8. #47
    Fossie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Rhubarb Triangle
    Posts
    3,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
    err... I have the greatest of respect for our Police officers & pay my taxes every year without fail! I understand it's not the ones on the streets directing resources to this end, so they can't really be blamed for doing their duty & I'm not blaming them - read what you quoted & know what I've said before attributing your misunderstood assumption to me! I never mentioned Enforcement, you did! I spoke of Speed Traps only.

    I currently have zero points on my license, so have no axe to grind with law enforcement, and am old enough to have been driving for 34 years & with that 34 years (some of it professional) comes a wealth of experience on the matter.

    how's that for mis-judgment?
    Ok - if you have no axe to grind with law enforcement then accept speed cameras for what they are - enforcement ! All areas where mobile cameras are used must , by law, have signs to indicate that mobile cameras may be in use. You must assume that the cameras may be somewhere in these areas.

    And by the way I have no points on my licence either, and never have had, and I passed my test in 1962. Neither have I had any sort of accident either despite spending the last twenty years of my working life commuting across the M62 daily on a 120 mile round trip !

    A speeding fine is not a tax ,simply because taxes are unavoidable and speeding fines are not. Just accept the fact that we have to put up with them and that's it !

    The third paragraph of your original post does seem very bitter to me and I wonder what prompted you to pour out so much vitriol ?

  9. #48
    Artimus's Avatar
    Short Back

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,840
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    Ok - if you have no axe to grind with law enforcement then accept speed cameras for what they are - enforcement ! All areas where mobile cameras are used must , by law, have signs to indicate that mobile cameras may be in use. You must assume that the cameras may be somewhere in these areas.

    And by the way I have no points on my licence either, and never have had, and I passed my test in 1962. Neither have I had any sort of accident either despite spending the last twenty years of my working life commuting across the M62 daily on a 120 mile round trip !

    A speeding fine is not a tax ,simply because taxes are unavoidable and speeding fines are not. Just accept the fact that we have to put up with them and that's it !

    The third paragraph of your original post does seem very bitter to me and I wonder what prompted you to pour out so much vitriol ?
    I, on the other hand, have had plenty of accidents and have previously had up to 9 points on my license! Not one person has been injured in any accident I've been involved with, whether my fault or not. I've heard of older motorists that have driven all their life without having an accident - but seen loads in their rear view mirror before! I'm not particularly impressed by the statement, it conjours up images of that Halfrauds advert with brown trousered Brian fixing his Mondeo.

    In my relatively short time here at ASN, one thing I've learned is this is not a one-size-fits-all forum! Opinions vary and there are those that refuse to say nice things just to keep the peace, Instead preferring to speak honestly! Seemingly bitter vitriol to some may be refreshingly honest to others! ..I respect that right to have an individual opinion much more than some posting in this topic & feel others should too, without resorting to labeling or attempts at belittling fellow members. I will not agree for the sake of agreement.

    MY HONEST OPINION is that most Mobile Speed Traps are woefully short on reason, except for when you actor in Revenue! I would estimate that only 10% of the accidents I've had have been directly related to excessive speed! The other 90% have been down to Distraction, Mechanical failure or Extreme road conditions, and all of those 90% were below the posted speed limit. Yes, Speed limits are there for a reason, but the reason isn't always to cut accident rates.
    s3_trev likes this.
    ................................................
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

  10. #49
    Fossie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Rhubarb Triangle
    Posts
    3,969
    Well there you go ! You have expressed your opinion to the forum as you wished to do and so have I as I wished to do. People will be able to make their own minds up.

    Everybody happy and we agree to disagree !

    Simples !!!!!!!!

  11. #50
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    392
    I think they pay for the christmas pi** up. They are distracting and your focusing on not accidently going over the speedlimit.. which could cause a crash.

    Why did they turn off the speedcameras in a part of the UK? Yes police cars are required, but little petty vans and cameras which book you for going 32MPH in a 30..

    On a particular route, I have to drop from 60 MPH to 40MPH instantly with heavy traffic behind - I know they will put a mobile speed van there, so I do slow down - However, the amount of times I have nearly been rear ended is rediculous. Car's have got more advanced with their brakes etc, so in my opinion I think the speed limit is set too low.

    If speed cameras weren't money making, why don't they lift the fine? We can only have 6-12 points anyway.
    Picked up on the 30th May!

    2013 '13' Plate - Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S Line Roadster | Ibis White | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather/Suede with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim

    Gone but won't be forgotten! 2011 '11' Plate - Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line | Ibis White | Privacy Glass | iPod Dock | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim | S3 Pedals

  12. #51
    rOb_A's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    cheshire
    Posts
    1,485
    not read this thread for a bit but having been banned for totting up (3 speeding offences & a red light ) i think i am worthy of an opinion. easily put, if you do the crime you do the time.
    i think we have to remember that these are laws, therefore put in place for the safety and welfare of us all.
    for those who think the fines are another tax or line the pockets of the police, easy... try and stay within the speed limits and keep your £££ in your pocket for you next car or mod. night night

  13. #52
    MrLapou's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    1,209
    Quote Originally Posted by rOb_A View Post
    not read this thread for a bit but having been banned for totting up (3 speeding offences & a red light ) i think i am worthy of an opinion. easily put, if you do the crime you do the time.
    i think we have to remember that these are laws, therefore put in place for the safety and welfare of us all.
    for those who think the fines are another tax or line the pockets of the police, easy... try and stay within the speed limits and keep your £££ in your pocket for you next car or mod. night night

    Here here, well put and said

  14. #53
    rOb_A's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    cheshire
    Posts
    1,485
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLapou View Post
    Here here, well put and said
    I thank you

  15. #54
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cheshire/N Staffs
    Posts
    1,300
    Unmarked S3 or RS3 (DSG) out in Manchester tonight !!

    Instagram

    S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG



  16. #55
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    329
    The unmarked grey S3 in Manchester area is well known afaik

  17. #56
    WOLF's Avatar
    I am WOLF.......

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    655
    There is a solution here................Dont speed...........simples!

  18. #57
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    236
    imagine if you just didn't exceed the speed limit...

  19. #58
    WOLF's Avatar
    I am WOLF.......

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by T8DPR View Post
    imagine if you just didn't exceed the speed limit...
    Then we'd have no speeding fines to worry about

  20. #59
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    236
    and no points, and know worries about insurance and definitely a damn site less accidents and less innocent people inconvenienced and/or injured
    WOLF likes this.

  21. #60
    Artimus's Avatar
    Short Back

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,840
    If the Police's main aim is to deter, why do they need unmarked cars?

    just asking!
    ................................................
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

  22. #61
    Compkiler's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    149
    Laser jammers dude!
    WOLF likes this.

  23. #62
    Pushing the limits..

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,314

    My Social Networking

    Add Sevv on Facebook
    petition it referencing your relevant laws... but use that template.. and tell them to go F*ck themselves.. its worked for me

    ''I received a letter claiming I committed a violation of a speeding law in the District of Columbia on 04/21/2012. As per the instructions, I am writing to plead ‘not guilty’ to this charge. Although this option is said to result in this matter going to court; it is my suggestion that the charges simply be dropped. This suggestion comes out of respect for tax payers, and my request that their hard earned money not be wasted in such proceedings. As there is no evidence of my involvement with this alleged ‘crime’, as well as the fact that I am not granted my 6th amendment right to face my ‘accuser’ (a camera); I see no way the government could prove my guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. I also see find no legal requirement for me to implicate someone else in this process, as it is the government’s responsibility to prove a person’s guilt. It is also my 5th amendment right to remain silent on the matter.

    If it is the government’s decision to move forward in this matter, I would request copies of any evidence the prosecution may have of my involvement in the “offense”; as well as, all maintenance records for the camera(s) involved.''

  24. #63
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Tay View Post
    It only frustrates me that they can get away with being so sneaky, especially when 95% of motorists obey the speed limits on this road, and that the dual carriageway carries on after the roundabout they wait near, at which point the speed limit becomes 70mph! I'm all for the speed limit of this road being increased to 50/60 as it should be, then the traffic police can have cameras there as often as the want to catch the 2% willing to exceed that limit
    If people stuck to the speed limits, no one would get fined, and no one would get the points, it really is THAT simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Tay View Post
    They need to invest some money in the condition of the roads
    That's a council issue, not the police

    Quote Originally Posted by Tay View Post
    ...use police time better to catch some real criminals such as thieves.
    the police have different departments to handle different crimes, if every cop was used on a specific day to catch thieves, then another day to catch rapists, and so on, then on those days there'd be no one to scrape up the bodies off the carriageways. Roads policing units are specifically highly trained to deal with the things that go on our roads, the same way murder investigation teams are for the sake of catching killers, but in a way when people say why cant the police be doing better things, its almost like saying "where's the postman, I need my windows cleaning"

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. misted light units
    By Leaky Lloyd in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20th March 2011, 12:45
  2. Police.uk
    By ScottD3 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st February 2011, 11:58
  3. New Head Units?
    By hburnett in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 26th January 2007, 22:15
  4. S6/A6 sender units
    By Kevshann in forum General Technical / How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th May 2003, 14:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO