JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Lamin-x what a pile of sh1t!!

Quattro, bring on the SNOW!

Status

Lamin-x what a pile of sh1t!!

Just tried to apply to film, followed all the instructions including video, couldn't get it lined up with out bubbles and creases, tried several times. Gave up after ~45mins and binned the lot.

Anyone tinted headlights their using a normal tint company rather than these pre-cuts?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Split Grill!

Status
    Tinted my rears with similar stuff, but cheaper. Was even harder to work with.
    Comes in sheets, not pre cut. Had to buy 2 lots because when doing the 1st one I got the red mist aswell and screwed it up and threw a tantrum. Kept getting air bubbles and couldnt deal with the contours:

Took my time with the second light, lots of back and forth, lots of heat. Took over an hour but got it so im about 90% happy.
    Second batch I tried I got a mate to man the hairdryer and hold the sheet out of the way. Took about 10 minutes and worked 100%.

My advice to make things easy is to do it that way, get a mate to apply the heat and you use two hands to deal with the contours.
    Some people use an applicator card to smooth it down but I just use my finger tips to go mm by mm.
    Its all about Patience
    PhilM81 likes this.
    ....................I'll make a build thread one day.

2nd Gear

Status
    I don't know what you did... But I had zero issues applying it to the tails. The beauty of this film is that small creases and bubbles work themselves out over a few days. This is actually the first time I heard of anyone having this much trouble. Maybe you got some sort of defective batch? Did you try contacting Lamin-x?

Vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattroll View Post
    Tinted my rears with similar stuff, but cheaper. Was even harder to work with.
    Comes in sheets, not pre cut. Had to buy 2 lots because when doing the 1st one I got the red mist aswell and screwed it up and threw a tantrum. Kept getting air bubbles and couldnt deal with the contours:

Took my time with the second light, lots of back and forth, lots of heat. Took over an hour but got it so im about 90% happy.
    Second batch I tried I got a mate to man the hairdryer and hold the sheet out of the way. Took about 10 minutes and worked 100%.

My advice to make things easy is to do it that way, get a mate to apply the heat and you use two hands to deal with the contours.
    Some people use an applicator card to smooth it down but I just use my finger tips to go mm by mm.
    Its all about Patience
    matt were did you purchase that from? do you have link?
    For Sale
    climate control (double din non chrome)
    Black roof lining (sportback)
    pm me for more info..

BBM: 28E07323

My Panoramic RetroFit

Split Grill!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by amar06fbr View Post
    matt were did you purchase that from? do you have link?
    Here you go mate. This is the stuff I brought, he does pitch black stuff and a yellow film as well.

Has held up well, im happy with it.

Vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    were? lol
    For Sale
    pm me for more info..

My Panoramic RetroFit

2nd Gear

Status
    FYI for the next attempt, if you're getting air bubles, have a really sharp hobby knife on hand. When you get a buble, just prick it with a knife and smooth the film out. It's worked for me on both tail light film and solid vinyl. Sometimes its liquid and not air in the buble and that sorts itself out when it dries out. Like Matt said though, it's all about patience. I got my lamin-x in a sheet and cut it to size myself. Still took me easily an hour to do by myself... Much faster if you have someone to help apply the heat though.

In the end it doesn't matter what you use, they are all a PITA to apply and they all look a but rough untill they cure in a few days. Personally I still swear by the lamin-x but I've used other film as well. Screwed that one up too and had to get a second set.

Here is lamin-x right after install...

And end result...

Navisace and PhilM81 like this.

Vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    Gryphon thats what i was planing to do. Do you have anymore unedited pics of your rear lights?
    For Sale
    pm me for more info..

My Panoramic RetroFit

2nd Gear

Status

Best I can do for unedited ...

Split Grill!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by amar06fbr View Post
    were? lol
    Subtle grey smoked headlight tint film,like Lamin-X,modified car mod | eBay

Sorry, my bad

Vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    Thank you matt.
    For Sale
    pm me for more info..

My Panoramic RetroFit

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    im on this one too... will be ordering soon
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Interior Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

1st Gear

Status
    I'm waiting on delivery on uncut sheets, i'll post back how difficult/easy it is!
    Wanted: A lottery win so i can afford all the mods i want!

aud you do !

Status
    best not getting the pre -cut i found it to be a little short on the headlights , they looked terrible for about a week then start to settle down , i had a couple of air bubbles which i just popped with a pin .

6th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow MartayMcFly On Twitter Visit MartayMcFly's Youtube Channel Visit MartayMcFly's Instagram Channel
    I'm going to do my Lamin-X, fog bulbs and indicators tomorrow... I have the pre-cut film, and an applicator thing for bubbles. Anything else I need? Any tips other than "use heat"?
    Hunt is over

1st Audi - 2001 Ming Blue 8L S3 210
    2nd Audi - 2008 Black 8P2 S3 3dr
    and now - 2007 Daytona Grey B7 RS4 saloon

4th Gear

Status
    I had to rip my fronts off a couple of weeks ago. Got a call from the MOT tester, they couldn't get the lights to pass the pattern test with the LaminX on

Getting used to how different the front looks now, still got it on the fogs though.
    2006 A3 3.2 DSG
    Quattro S-Line
    Phantom black pearl
    V Maxx plus coilovers
    Speedlines- anthricite
    MY11 rear lights
    MK2 TT Vents
    Various LED's
    MK2 RNSE
    LaminX on fogs

For Sale Genuine Audi phone cradle (iPhone 4S/4)

6th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow MartayMcFly On Twitter Visit MartayMcFly's Youtube Channel Visit MartayMcFly's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by wez3570 View Post
    I had to rip my fronts off a couple of weeks ago. Got a call from the MOT tester, they couldn't get the lights to pass the pattern test with the LaminX on

Getting used to how different the front looks now, still got it on the fogs though.
    Did you have 'tint' or 'smoke'?
    Hunt is over

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MartayMcFly View Post
    Did you have 'tint' or 'smoke'?
    tint
    2006 A3 3.2 DSG
    Quattro S-Line
    Phantom black pearl
    V Maxx plus coilovers
    Speedlines- anthricite
    MY11 rear lights
    MK2 TT Vents
    Various LED's
    MK2 RNSE
    LaminX on fogs

For Sale Genuine Audi phone cradle (iPhone 4S/4)

6th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by wez3570 View Post
    tint
    It's tint I bought too, maybe I'll leave it for now and just do the bulbs tomorrow.
    Hunt is over

Reverse Gear

Status
    Good morning everyone,

I just wanted to drop in and let everyone know that if you have any issues or questions about our services or products, please drop us an email at help@lamin-x.com. We would be more than happy to address any problems or concerns that you might have.

Thank you!

Lamin-x Protective Films
    MartayMcFly likes this.

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    I have a question for lamin-x... Can you set up a group buy for us to save us a little money? As I know there will be quite a few members here that want it
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Interior Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

3rd Gear

Status
    I'd like to say that I did add the pre-cut Lamin-X to my 08 Sportback about 2-3 years ago...

The first one was easier than the second, but even the second one only took me about 30 minutes... and that includes giving up at least once, peeling iff and starting again.

After the second one was done, I noticed that it had a few more noticeable 'bubbles' than the first, so I was worried that it wouldn't be any good, and I considered that they might be too big to dissipate by themselves, even considering the 'give it a week, most bubble shoudl disappear by themselves' note in the instrucitons. -I didn't really believe it.

HOWEVER

After 1-2 days, the first one looked FANTASTIC.

And by 5 days, the second one looked just as good. -They both looked like they came from the factory that way, in fact.

I've got some unedited photos somewhere of hos they turned out, in different lights... -let me dig them out.

Temperature out that day was warm, but not hot. I worked on my own, using a fine mist spray bottle, and a credit-card wrapped in paper towel, to 'squeegee' the film onto the headlights. About 45 minutes to do both sides. -Total.

3rd Gear

Status
    Pics for clicks. -"tint" darkness, and I've tried to show how different light/angles gives different apparent darknesses... it's a very nice effect.

See, it looks darker from THIS angle...

...than it does from THIS angle, for example.

All pictures unedited, apart from resizing.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamin-x Protecitive Films View Post
    Good morning everyone,

I just wanted to drop in and let everyone know that if you have any issues or questions about our services or products, please drop us an email at help@lamin-x.com. We would be more than happy to address any problems or concerns that you might have.

Thank you!

Lamin-x Protective Films
    Hi Lamin-x

How about a refund for me to start? or better still replacements and I get a fellow ASN member to help apply? That would be a happy ending all around...

3rd Gear

Status
    Phil, did you email them? -They've got a reputation for following up.

I'd add that the Lamin-X (as you may have observed) is thicker and stronger than normal 'tint film', and the protective properties are vastly better as a result.

Can I urge you to try again, if Lamin-X offer to replace it? It really IS very good indeed once it's applied. -I also did my fog lights, and the 'ding' protection is a worthy benefit. -If you were anywhere near me, I'd offer to do it for you, for nothing more than a cup of tea!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just ordered a set for my S3 after seeing the results. Seriously thinking about getting a friendly vinyl company to install though.Thoughts?

aud you do !

Status
    you can do it jonesy ! just take you time fella ! it will look poop at first , but as the days go on your frown will turn to a big smile lol

H88
    1st Gear

Status
    [QUOTE=itwasntme187;1571568]I have a question for lamin-x... Can you set up a group buy for us to save us a little money? As I know there will be quite a few members here that want it[/QUOTE

Group buy?save money??Sounds good mate,I am on it )

Status
    Lamin-x have kindly offered to send me a replacement order FOC.

Are there any kind 'skilled' members here that would be willing to fit them for me to avoid a repeat of my p1ss poor first attempt?

I live in South Birmingham so can drive ~30miles.ish to you?

£20 in it for you too...

Cheers, Phil.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    I'm also contemplating Lamin-X for my 8L S3 headlamps and rear lamp units. Although, i havn't seen anyone do it with an 8L yet, so don't know how good it looks.

Possibly in for the group buy!

3rd Gear

Status
    Hey Phil,

If the replacement Lamin-X comes out well (and it certainly should; -Mine is excellent!) maybe edit the title of the thread to reflect your feelings once it's been done?

I'm not 'shilling' for them, but I have to say, I am delighted with the product, and they DO have a reputation for standing behind what they sell, and making things right.

Keef

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
    Hey Phil,

If the replacement Lamin-X comes out well (and it certainly should; -Mine is excellent!) maybe edit the title of the thread to reflect your feelings once it's been done?

I'm not 'shilling' for them, but I have to say, I am delighted with the product, and they DO have a reputation for standing behind what they sell, and making things right.

Keef
    Without a doubt, I have nothing against them and im the sure the product is good, just not the easiest to apply.

Hopefully I will find someone on here to assist.

Once its done I will post pics and rename. Cheers.

Rom
    2nd Gear

Status
    Weird how it looks so dark in some pics, and almost un noticable in others (angles)

Gotta say, ive never been one for all black cars, grills, tints etc. But After seeing Ash's, i want to lamin x my lights! So tint is lighter than smoke ?

Also, with regard to the rears (newbie) I know fitting MY09 or something lights to the earlier 8P is common. They are darker right ? Is that the only difference though, is the light pattern / placement etc the same ? Is there a reason fit later lights rather than just tinting theirs?

And another thing...

Does it hide any imperfections in the lamp, pitting etc, or will it just look horrible. Was going to wet sand and machine polish them at some point, but wont bother if this hides it.
    Last edited by Rom; 8th May 2012 at 21:38. Reason: added...
    VCDS - Hex-Can-USB - Bristol Area
    Toyota Pro Tech - PM me if you need something done!

2004 A3 TDi Sport
    - Bose, Leather / Alcantaras, Cruise, Eibach Sportlines, S Line Facelift
    Full Paint Correction
    To Do - Lamin X, Tints, Wheels

Past Cars

Peugeot 205 Gti Mi16 - Main love affair - Build Thread
    Honda CRX SiR - Short lived - Build Thread
    BMW E46 330d Sport
    Peugeot 306 Hdi DTurbo
    VW Gold MK4 TDi
    Vauxhall Nova SR - First car!

3rd Gear

Status
    Every time I go past this thread I piss my pants chuckling at you ripping it off and launching it in the bin

If you think that's a pita you should try window tints and venture shield
    PhilM81 likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilM81 View Post
    Without a doubt, I have nothing against them and im the sure the product is good, just not the easiest to apply.

Hopefully I will find someone on here to assist.

Once its done I will post pics and rename. Cheers.
    Very fair.

Yes, I was apprehensive when I did mine, but i had the benefit of nice warm weather (kept the product nice and supple to conform to the headlight surface curve) and an abundance of patience.

I was still nervous that I'd messed it up when I saw the small bubbles on the second one, but after a few days I saw visible improvements, and within the week it looked like a factory job!

As regards the 'darkness' of the tint, I drove it into a shaded garage with only one side done, and compared light output of the to sides; untreated versus Lamin-X'ed. In an unscientific assessment I estimated the light output to be down perhaps 'five percent'. (It's difficult to quantify without a lightmeter, but if I had to ascribe a number to it, I'd say you still get about 95% of the light output.)

To address this, I tried a couple of bulb options, and ended up with PIAA's which seemed to be about 5% brighter... Overall light output now seems to be about the same as before the tint now that the slightly brighter bulbs are in. The package and blurb claims a "40% increase" with the PIAA's, but that's plainly bullcrap. It looks slightly brighter.

Cost a bit for the bulbs, but the overall result is essentially indistinguishable light output from original, but with a rather more pleasing appearance... to my taste, at least.

Keith

aud you do !

Status
    heres mine done [IMG][/IMG]

3rd Gear

Status
    I know money is tight for everyone except maybe for my friend MKIM in San Francisco but why not let an expert install the film and save the aggravation for them.I can't imagine the install would cost over 20 quid but I don't live in the UK. Maybe I should just shutup

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon001 View Post
    FYI for the next attempt, if you're getting air bubles, have a really sharp hobby knife on hand. When you get a buble, just prick it with a knife and smooth the film out. It's worked for me on both tail light film and solid vinyl. Sometimes its liquid and not air in the buble and that sorts itself out when it dries out. Like Matt said though, it's all about patience. I got my lamin-x in a sheet and cut it to size myself. Still took me easily an hour to do by myself... Much faster if you have someone to help apply the heat though.

In the end it doesn't matter what you use, they are all a PITA to apply and they all look a but rough untill they cure in a few days. Personally I still swear by the lamin-x but I've used other film as well. Screwed that one up too and had to get a second set.

Here is lamin-x right after install...

And end result...

Is this tint, smoked, gun smoked? Which is it fella as it looks great mate.
    VCDS Owner-North London/Enfield
    " To Cruise Is What I Do"

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannykn9 View Post
    Is this tint, smoked, gun smoked? Which is it fella as it looks great mate.
    Ummm... I think it's tint... it's the lightest one they have from Lamin-x

Been a while since I bought that... lol

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Cheers mate. Tint you have then.

Quick question, is this stuff easy enough to take off if I decide I don't want it no more?
    VCDS Owner-North London/Enfield
    " To Cruise Is What I Do"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast