Limp Home Mode on Mway...

Orts

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has experienced similar or had any ideas on a problem I have with my 2006 2.0 tdi.

Sometime between 1h30 - 2hr of motorway driving between 80-100mph my car suddenly goes into limp home mode, I dont get any warning symptons and I can be cruising along at 80 and bam, power drops.

This only happens after motorway driving though after a certain amount of time. I regularly boot it through the gears, and a few times recently have started from a standstill and red lined every gear until I'm up into 6th and going over a 100mph to see if limp mode kicked in and it was fine. Had the car almost 2 years and its happened since I've had it, I have never really done much motorway driving though so it hasnt bothered me but recently I've been travelling around the country and its something I finally need to try and fix.

Also, I only need to turn the engine off and on again to clear the limp mode and have it back for another couple of hours motorway driving before it does it again ...I've even turned the engine off with my foot on the clutch while on an empty stretch of motorway and back on again and then kept on driving so does that sound like its a sensor problem that I'm clearing when I turn the engine on and off or is it a turbo problem?

Can anyone shed some light into it?

Have you plugged vcds in to see what the problem is? Might be the vanes sticking, same thing happened on mine yesterday and a new turbo will be on its way soon...

I had it plugged in a few weeks back because the light had been on for a while, the only fault was the engine manifold flap which I had replaced. To be honest I havent noticed any difference in the drive. First noticed this problem last year but once the engine has been turned off it doesnt happen again unless im back on the motorway, I can go months before it happens and I do a lot of inner city driving using the turbo so never thought the turbo was on its way out?

I've noticed that since i've been doing a 100mile daily commute on the motorway my turbo hasn't gone into limp mode regardless of how i drive. It's only when I start driving round town a lot when it starts to overboost and give me problems...

I've noticed that since i've been doing a 100mile daily commute on the motorway my turbo hasn't gone into limp mode regardless of how i drive. It's only when I start driving round town a lot when it starts to overboost and give me problems...

sounds like we are complete opposites!

Well it man not relate... Since mine is a petrol engine. But I had an identical issue with mine and its been suggested its the fuel trims maxing out... Probably caused by a leak around the turbo inlet or the MAF.

Dont know anything about TDI though, so can't be sure it's the same

Also noticed, supermarket/cheap fuel makes it worse.