HELP!! H&R Springs VS H&R Cup Kit

Paul280000

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just put some 19" BBS CK on my S3 8P and I'm now looking to lower it slightly. Was looking to put the H&R springs on but dont know wether to change to the H&R dampers as well? They say they are matched to the springs! Is it worth spending an extra £300 over the price of the springs? I have heard the car can be a bit bouncy when you only change the springs, is this true? I'm not really looking at going down the coilover route. I'm looking to keep the ride and comfort as close to oem as possible, just want to improve the look.

Whats everyones opinion?

Thanks

Hey

I have 19" BBS CH on my S3 and I have had my H&R springs in since Summer 2009 with no issues. Ride is good as well as handling. Brilliant along with the h&r anti roll bars.

However, if a shock goes, I will be buying the h&r shocks.

I've got the H&R Cup Kit on my S3 - in terms of ride it feels more comfortable than OEM on open roads\motorways and a little firmer over potholed\typically crappy British roads. Not uncomfortable by any stretch of the imagination and the car feels altogether more composed and predictable. 25mm drop all round looks spot on to me.

As a side note, I fitted the Whiteline Anti Lift (WALK) kit at the same time (saves getting the alignment done more than once) and love the effect that has had on the way the car behaves when burying the throttle - if you can pick one up for under £200 then I'd get that done at the same time!

I had 18" (18x8J ET44) CK's fitted with H&R springs last year and I have to say that I wish I had just bitten the bullet and uprated the dampers at the same time. The handling is excellent, but the ride is good only if you are driving on a very flat road, ..if the road is the least bit undulating or uneven then the ride is much bouncier than in my other half's Freelander II 4x4! I also experienced some rubbing front and back, but that was remedied by removing the arch liner screws. I now have 19" MTM's fitted, which are similar spec to BBS CH's with ET50 and am planning on either fitting matched dampers to the H&R's or fitting Eibach Pro Kit along with Koni FSD's as my back can't withstand the bounce any longer, lol.

The wheels you have fitted have an impact on how you can lower your car. What width and offset are your 19" CK's? 19x8 with offset ET44? If so, you may be struggling to lower onto them without a fair bit of rubbing, unless you go for 225/215 width tyres. For cars lowered on 19's, anything less than an offset of ET48 will require tyre width of no more than 225, to prevent rubbing. The offset on your rims means that they are another 4mm closer to the wheel arch (than ET48), but you'd probably get away with running 225's and removing the arch screws. I run 225's on mine and it handles very nicely. :wub: xx

Hey

I have 19" BBS CH on my S3 and I have had my H&R springs in since Summer 2009 with no issues. Ride is good as well as handling. Brilliant along with the h&r anti roll bars.

However, if a shock goes, I will be buying the h&r shocks.

Thanks Boycie. What wheels are you running?