Audi paint poor

steve184

Reaction score
Went out for a drive yesterday for about 2-3 hours - car was a bit dusty but clean otherwise. Got home and noticed massive splodge of bird muck on bonnet (about 3cms round) so as i always do i wash it off as soon as i find it as you should. To my horror in the space of 2 hours it has etched into the surface of the paint and completely ruined the look of the bonnet!!! How can audi use paint so prone to this kind of thing. I could understand if, like some people, i had left the droppings on for weeks but i washed it off the IMMEDIATE moment i noticed it - i cant do any better than that what do audi expect me to do check the car every 30 mins for bird droppings?

Anyone had same problems? any solutions? it seems odd to have to have the bonnet repainted for a bird muck splat! could happen again the day after!

cheers

Steve,
I've noticed exactly the same problem. I posted here a few weeks ago with a similar issue, where some flowers off a cherry blossom tree left a few marks on my roof and bonnet. And bird /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif left a mark a few days later!! Like you, I washed the crap off asap, but it was too late obviously. I never noticed this problem on any car I've had before. My 3 yr old black focus had none of these marks, and it often got the odd bird splat.

I tried some ScratchX as suggested here, it helped a little, but the marks are still there to a small degree... So it seems Audi paint is indeed very sensitive to this problem.

Joe.

Haven't had the bird poo problem on my Audis ( although the Wife's Honda suffered from a 'bird lime burn' mark on the bonnet).
My A4's flat black (non metallic) paint was extremely soft though.
It scratched so easily it became impossible to keep the car scratch free,so I gave up and it went back to the leasing company covered in them.

I chose a metallic colour this time,in the hope that it's tougher.

If you wax the car then the bird lime is never actually on the paint, just on the wax.

If you want the paint to last it's the only way.

I'll second that: you have to keep a coat of wax on the car. Still doesn't excuse Audi's selling us cheap paint!

Yep, as I have mentioned in previous threads, Audi's paint seems soft and prone to etching. I had bird poo etching on my previous Audi and had to have it machine polished, and that was waxed too. I could leave bird muck on my wifes fiesta for weeks and it wouldn't leave a mark and that car isn't waxed.

So is there any way of getting rid of the stain or is it a respray only job? I've tried some t-cut on it to see if that will 'cut' the damaged laqueur down a bit but although its made it less visible it is completely still there large as life when you catch a refection on it.

Any solution? Surely it can be polished out as its only on the surface?

What is the best wax to use then to stop this? Would this not have happened if the car was waxed - i must admit it does need a good polish and wax.

Steve

[ QUOTE ]
So is there any way of getting rid of the stain or is it a respray only job? I've tried some t-cut on it to see if that will 'cut' the damaged laqueur down a bit but although its made it less visible it is completely still there large as life when you catch a refection on it.

Any solution? Surely it can be polished out as its only on the surface?

What is the best wax to use then to stop this? Would this not have happened if the car was waxed - i must admit it does need a good polish and wax.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I had mine machine polished by local Audi dealer. There may be a cheaper way with paint cleaners and hard work with scratch X but if so i'm sure others are better to advise. Either way I am pretty sure it can be resolved without a repray, as it's more than likely confined to the lacquer coat.

I haven't been able to win on this subject either. Leave it and risk a permanent mark, wash off the muck and be left with scratches. Im definately not getting black next time!

thing is i did wash it off immediately i found it but even this was far too late damage had been done - this is why i feel this is poor quality paint from audis part. Paint should be able to defend these kinds of chemicals for a larger amount of time cos lest face it it is very common to get bird droppings on ur car.

Definately an high rate phonecall to audi customer services this week!

high rate or irate ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

How old is the car?

p.s. I had good success with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection (more of a hard shell than a wax) but now I use Swissol Wax which gives a better shine and bugs etc come off easier.

how long before this descends into the usual autoglym v swissol v meguiars argument...

totally agree with scotty - use a good wax and you shouldn't have any more problems. In the meantime, you might want to try leaving a soaking wet rag / bog roll etc on the offending bird plop for 10 minutes to soften it up before cleaning it off. Also works wonders for dead flies on windscreens and headlights.

[ QUOTE ]
totally agree with scotty - use a good wax and you shouldn't have any more problems. In the meantime, you might want to try leaving a soaking wet rag / bog roll etc on the offending bird plop for 10 minutes to soften it up before cleaning it off. Also works wonders for dead flies on windscreens and headlights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, exactly what I do, you must soften the bird muck before trying to wipe it off, otherwise scratch city /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Either a jug of warm water or as Jungle says a hot wet paper towel.

On a related subject, has anyone ever used one of those car covers for your car - the likes of which you can buy in Argos for not very much?
I'll be off on my holliers in a couple of weeks, my car will be left standing in the drive while I'm gone at the mercy of the birds! Maybe one of these covers would prevent more bird crap problems?

[ QUOTE ]
On a related subject, has anyone ever used one of those car covers for your car - the likes of which you can buy in Argos for not very much?
I'll be off on my holliers in a couple of weeks, my car will be left standing in the drive while I'm gone at the mercy of the birds! Maybe one of these covers would prevent more bird crap problems?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always been a bit concerned that they will scratch the car when taking it off.... they are made from some sort of plastic stuff which will scratch the paint if dragged across it.

A few of us are considering cheap car covers for when the cars are parked at work.
We're simply sick of spending time cleaning our cars only for the plague of seagulls that infest Aberdeen to scatter bomb them.

A good cover is furry lined - honestly, and made to measure for a particular vehicle or vehicle type.

I've used them on motor bikes (for winter storage) They are plastic with a very short pile towling lining. They also have straps to hold it on tightly and stop it flapping in any wind.

Vertar do them (and they're a big zymol supplier) so they know about paintwork.

vertar

I wouldn't be bothered about the material that the covers made from but from the dirt. If you ever put a cover over a dirty car, what ever the cover's made from, when you remove it surely it must pull some of the grit across the paint work?

I guess it's a balancing act of what you're protecting the car from and the small damange the cover may do.

Yep, the car needs to be clean else the dirt will act like grinding paste under the cover.