New S3... creaking doors

Smiffi

Reaction score
Hey guys,

as the title states my S3 which I've had since Jan this year has started creaking. The noise is coming from the upper door area and it stops when I put the window down slightly. It started on the passenger door after the first time I washed it but now the drivers door does it too. I have done a few searches and found I am not the only owner to get this noise. It seems it's the door seals and there have been a number of fixes from Audi lubes, updated seals and door adjustments. Lubes only last a couple of weeks so no good, my car is a MY12 so surely it has the newest seals, so that leaves door adjustments.

Does anyone else on here suffer from this and have suffered and fixed this in the past? I will take it to Audi once I have a bit more info so they don't just try and fob me off with lube.

Cheers in advance!!

Get a bottle of Gummi Pfledge, it sorted it out my creaking/rubbing seals a treat and lasts ages :)

Get a bottle of Gummi Pfledge, it sorted it out my creaking/rubbing seals a treat and lasts ages :)

Cheers Cloughy. Do you apply it to the door seals and window seals? We shouldn't really have to be applying anything to the seals in the first place IMO.

I might have to give this a try too.. Mine seems ok on the road, but on the bumpy private bit that leads to my house it's ******* annoying! Such a minor thing tho- you should hear the noises my mates brand new astra makes going over the same terrain:scared2:

Cheers Cloughy. Do you apply it to the door seals and window seals? We shouldn't really have to be applying anything to the seals in the first place IMO.

Yep, door seals and window seals, I think it's the window ones that cause the rubbing as it didn't do it when I had the window slightly down, I just got the GP everywhere I thought it might rub and its got rid of the noise :)

Your right we shouldn't have to do it though

Had this on mine and bought some black crayons to rub against the rubber window seals, works a treat and only had to 'touch them up' every year or so, very cheap and effective.

Had this on mine and bought some black crayons to rub against the rubber window seals, works a treat and only had to 'touch them up' every year or so, very cheap and effective.

Hey SiT, thats interesting. What is it the crayons are doing to the seals? I don't get how that would fix it! But I am willing to give it a try!!

Check the doors arent dropping too.
My previous 3 dr had this problem and it wore the door seals to a hole!
Doesn`t take much, but they were replaced under warranty so not a huge issue.

Check the doors arent dropping too.
My previous 3 dr had this problem and it wore the door seals to a hole!
Doesn`t take much, but they were replaced under warranty so not a huge issue.

I take it the only way to check this is to check all the gaps are even? I'm pretty sure they are but I will check.

Iv had this issue, i bought dupont krytox which audi and VW sell but its very expensive. I kept putting grease on the inner felt seals etc to no avail and the main door runner seals.

The noise however was coming from where the inner top felt of the door above the window touches against the body. I apply gummi fledge more often than the krytox but i use the spray gummi fledge across the top felt with the door open.

I then also spray a mist on the actual paintwork where the door closes against at the top, This stops the noise for atleast a few weeks, Using the krytox helps and makes the noise stay away for alot longer like atleast 2-3 months. Give it a try on the top seals and let me know if it resolves it. If your confused on location let me know and ill take a pic

I take it the only way to check this is to check all the gaps are even? I'm pretty sure they are but I will check.

Gaps looked ok-ish but the seal new the door catch went shabby and worn.

Hey SiT, thats interesting. What is it the crayons are doing to the seals? I don't get how that would fix it! But I am willing to give it a try!!

Magic..!!

I guess like anything with wax, it creates less friction, in this case between the window glass and the rubber liner. I noticed it after washing the car, noticeably squelches in the window area and if you dropped the windows slightly the noise disappeared. I read moons ago that the seals dry out so i bought some crayons and waxed the feck out of the linings around the door tops and it solved it for me. Cheap fix, and most dark colour’s will suffice :)

HTHs

as SiT says that also is another solution, The waxy like crayons will stick to the felt so the friction noise against the panel will not make that ANNOYING sound.

Crayon it is then. I tried AG rubber care but that lasted all of a day. Mind you, I did wash the car today. I'll get a crayon tomorrow. Failing that I will take it back to Audi and try and blag a bottle of dupont krytox by complaining my *** off haha.

Its a cheap thing to try and it worked for me. Thought about trying Audi too but couldn't be ***** with the hassle to be honest.

Its a cheap thing to try and it worked for me. Thought about trying Audi too but couldn't be ***** with the hassle to be honest.

Any chance of a pic showing thebest place to put the crayon? I plan on buying one today! Cheers for your help guys.

Had this issue on my A3 and now on the S as well. My solution, which seemed to last a few months, was to give all visible rubber around the doors and the window seal felt a good helping of Megiuars Gold Class Trim Detailer (MeguiarsDirect.com: Gold Class Trim Detailer 10 oz.)

It's greasy consistency and long lasting properties seem to work well. Just helped a mate apply some to his Leon Cupra as he had the same noise.