2.0TDI running in/economy

bacardi

Reaction score
Website
none
Had my 2.0TDi for 5 days now and done 600 miles, just wondered how many miles you guys had found it needs under its belt before its loosened up? Also, getting roughly 41mpg which is a little worse than the 320D bimmer I had for 5 months, am I being too heavy footed?!?!

Hey matt, you got yours too... had mine since last thurs and done 1000 miles, getting a little more - 44mpg. they apparently take a few thousand to get free'd up properly though

how you getting on with it?

Matt it will take you a long while yet til she's fully loosened. Mine only has 16K on it now but I can tell you it feels like a totally different car to what it did at 600 miles.

If I were you I would start driving it normally now.

Before I got it Superchipped I got about 430 out of a tank with pure city driving. Best I had was 540 on a long run. Now I get 370-400.

LOL Mark, you must be enjoying that extra power far too much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My mpg hasn't changed a great deal, it did initially cos I was utilising all the power but I've settled down again now and am seeing between 470/490 until the light comes on, guess a lot depends on length of journeys etc and I would expect the mpg to increase significantly on a long run. I do know the 2.0tdi is not as economical as my previous VW 1.9 150pd but we are only talking @ 2mpg difference.

Engine definetly gets better with miles as do all the PD's, my wifes 130PD now done 47K, it flies and the mpg is far better than when new - improved from average 37 to 42 (Tiptronic) and is driven hard as it's a company car.

So things can only get better.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Yep, they definately get better as the miles pile on. Mine is probably 10% better on economy now @ 10k than when new, and I drive it harder now too.

mine has 3900 miles on the clock and the best iv ever managed on a long run is 440 miles round town she does 370 to a tank

[ QUOTE ]
mine has 3900 miles on the clock and the best iv ever managed on a long run is 440 miles round town she does 370 to a tank

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine was similar to yours, but in the last 2k now gives me around 460-480 mixed dual / town. Now at 10k.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine was similar to yours, but in the last 2k now gives me around 460-480 mixed dual / town. Now at 10k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mines got 13K on it, bought it with 10k so mpg always been pretty good.:)

Running in is a right blast from the past.
Simply no need these days.
Just drive it normally from the word go.
In fact,in the motorbike world,it's been proven time and time again that the most powerful engines are the ones that are thrashed from new.
There's an argument that says treating an engine too gently causes more harm (glazed bores for one thing).

hey folks, thanks for the replies! Glad to hear the mpg will go up and the little beast will get better with miles, my old Scoob really loosened up around 10k, guess I'd better keep piling the miles on!

Am really impressed so far, build quality is way better than the bimmer, mind you, its early days I guess. Some real neat features on the audi, especially like the interior light pack, looks very sweet at night!

LOL! having actually worked it out now, its about 38mpg on mine at the moment.... still better than 18mpg my 2.6 used to return though!!

[ QUOTE ]
In fact,in the motorbike world,it's been proven time and time again that the most powerful engines are the ones that are thrashed from new.
There's an argument that says treating an engine too gently causes more harm (glazed bores for one thing).

[/ QUOTE ]

Off topic I know but...

Interesting what you say about the bikes mate. Last months copy of RiDE has a four page article about running in bikes on a dyno machine, running a specific cycle for an hour.

They reckon that by running in your bike in this way you can have your machine produce more BHP at the end of the day. Also goes quite technical as to why they think running in is required.

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They reckon that by running in your bike in this way you can have your machine produce more BHP at the end of the day.
Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting Stuff Kev - but more BHP than what exactly (ie thrashing from new or running in normally)

Sorry not clear was I!

I could scan the article in, if I plugged in the scanner...

They reckon that if you run the bike in on a rolling road to a specific schedule then:

a) you can go out and thrash it straight away, (after 1 hour run in).

b) it will produce more power than a bike riden normally from new, no mention if the riders took it carefully or thrashed them.

Kev.

Sounds good. Personally I have always been in the Bowfer camp and given new engines a good hammering (once they have warmed up). The only warning I was ever given was the usual new tyres new brakes stuff, and not to maintain constant revs etc (ie use 4th 5th and 6th on the motorways) for the first few hundred miles.

I've always tried to be careful with a new engine, but it is always too tempting to feel that torque /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Running in on a rolling road is quite a science and I doubt that we could even replicate that on the road using a gentle right foot.

But anyways, that's just what the article says, I have no proof either way.

Kev.

I've just clicked through 13.5k and I'm getting about 525 from a tank, DIS says mpg of over 48 its certainly getting better all the time

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I get about 480 per tank, my average distance is about 25 miles (to and from work) which is mainly very slow A/B roads (ring roads). I think last time I looked my average MPH on a journey to work was about 20mph!! Shocking! But even so sometimes (depending on my mood) I can get an average of 50MPG on my journey! Which I think is great.... gonna get it chipped at somepoint - which I'm hoping wont effect it too much!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I get about 480 per tank, my average distance is about 25 miles (to and from work) which is mainly very slow A/B roads (ring roads). I think last time I looked my average MPH on a journey to work was about 20mph!! Shocking! But even so sometimes (depending on my mood) I can get an average of 50MPG on my journey! Which I think is great.... gonna get it chipped at somepoint - which I'm hoping wont effect it too much! And I've got about 4000 miles on the clock now!!