MOT discrepancies.

Cruiser89

Advanced In Car Tech
Reaction score
Hey guys...

Ok this question isn't about my car or even an Audi, but want some advice from you guys.

I took my girlfriends car to be MOT at the local garage. It failed and needed some work doing to it. It was there from Wednesday last week till today. Got the car back and noticed something strange on the MOT pass document. Mileage recorded on fail was exactly the same as the pass certificate. Bit strange as some of the work that had been done would have required it to be road tested. Anyway, went out to her car to check the mileage and there is 27 miles un-accounted for and the new MOT document has an incorrect mileage.

Now, it's obvious that somebody at the garage has used it over the weekend for there own purposes. I do not class 27miles as road testing and the clear lack of fuel left over, also the incorrect mileage shown on the documents.

I'm going to get on to the garage and ask them to explain themselves. Do any of you have an ideas on what I should do to take this further or what I need to be doing/saying?

Cheers in advance.

Tim

Mileage on the certificate should ideally be accurate, but hardly the end of the world. They will have just taken the info off the failure sheet, rather than go and recheck what it was.
Depending on the garage, and how they work, the tester may have issued the pass without rechecking anything. Knowing that another tech has carried out the work. So he may not have even touched the car since he failed it.
Not saying thats right, but it happens.

As for the mileage, we always check with customers before anyone takes a car home . IE Foreman might take a intermittant fault home if tech kicks it back as no fault found repeatedly.

You can ask them to justify it, might be lucky and get a good will gesture. What was done ?

Rom may be correct here, could be many reasons for the mileage difference.
Its passed the MOT, end of.
Think your making a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill.

I'm not so worried about the wrong mileage. More of the fact that the garage have put 27miles on the clock and fuel. My girlfriend is only a student and doesn't have much money. Every penny counts in her world.

So buy her some fuel!
Sure she will show her appreciation ;)

It would have been much more hassle if the car failed the Mot so tell her to forget about it. If the car is running fine and it has 1 year ticket why bother ?

It would have been much more hassle if the car failed the Mot so tell her to forget about it. If the car is running fine and it has 1 year ticket why bother ?

Agree.
Its only £5ish of fuel.
How much fuel would you waste by going up there and complaining about it?

They done the work and assuming you're happy with everything else, leave it.

My girlfriend is only a student and doesn't have much money. Every penny counts in her world.

You having a laugh. There are students on here that own new S3's, RS4's etc etc and funnily enough complain about high insurance costs blah blah blah. Your student girlfriend needs to go and speak to them to see what their secret is.........and then spread the word. Coz I wanna know

You having a laugh. There are students on here that own new S3's, RS4's etc etc and funnily enough complain about high insurance costs blah blah blah. Your student girlfriend needs to go and speak to them to see what their secret is.........and then spread the word. Coz I wanna know

Tell me about it! I work offshore and can only just afford my S3 so god knows how someone at uni can afford it.
Bank of Mum & Dad to the extreme I'm guessing.

The youth of today eh............its funny coz me and the missus watched that Yank programme Sweet 16 because it just makes me laugh. Temper tantrums because what one wants one gets. Pi55es me off. 16 yr old boy gets given................a Lamborghini Gallardo for his main present and then states 'Its what I wanted' - NO concept of money these days.
Emergency rescue on standby for that one.

If you left the car at the garage for them to fix then thats correct, the mileage for the fail and pass would be the same as essentially the repair is just an update to the original doc not a re test. Had you taken the car away it would need a retest and a new mileage. Bet they didn't charge for a re test so that's why the mileage stays as the first test.

As for fuel. well its quite normal for a mechanic to road test a repair and if he does that by taking the car home one night then it means you are not charged for time on the road test which would be a lot more than £5. TBH i would put it down to experience.

Last edited:
If she is that hard up sell the car and buy her a bus ticket.

:p

They will have just taken the info off the failure sheet, rather than go and recheck what it was.
Depending on the garage, and how they work, the tester may have issued the pass without rechecking anything. Knowing that another tech has carried out the work. So he may not have even touched the car since he failed it.
Not saying thats right, but it happens.

im guilty of this lol.

I would be P*SSED OFF if a mechanic took my car home and stuck 27 miles on it, without even asking/mentioning that they would be!!
It's my car, don't just assume you can drive it home and leave it outside your house in god knows where.

I'd be saying something.

I would be P*SSED OFF if a mechanic took my car home and stuck 27 miles on it, without even asking/mentioning that they would be!!
It's my car, don't just assume you can drive it home and leave it outside your house in god knows where.

I'd be saying something.

My point exactly.

Threatened to contact VOSA, they refunded the cost of the MOT and fuel used. They couldn't explain the 27miles.

For those barking about students, when I went to uni I scrimped and saved my whole time there and drove a crappy 1.2 Corsa. My girlfriend drives a 1.3 Mk4 Fiesta. Don't think it's fair to stereotype. Oh and by the way (to all the haters), it was me who had to pay the MOT repairs of £400 as she couldn't afford it.

I was more concerned about the 27miles not the fuel used. What would have happened if they had smashed the car up, got a ticket or something similar? I'm sure if it was your car you would feel the same.

Threatened to contact VOSA, they refunded the cost of the MOT and fuel used. They couldn't explain the 27miles.

Good for you mate.
And yeah I bet they couldn't explain the 27 miles. That's because they were nothing to do with the testing etc of the car, it was purely a free loan car for a few evenings. Tossers!

I'm surprised by the comments in this thread to be honest, and surprised that most seem to be saying to take it on the chin. Its that kind of attitude and acceptance that has people in the motor industry thinking its ok to take customer's cars home for personal use.

Well not on my watch son, not on my watch. :no:

Well done, good result! I wouldn't be happy with them taking my car anywhere without my permission to do so, I think some garages just take the P, clearly this one was as they didn't even try and give you an excuse for the 27 miles that the car was used.