My new S3 Black Edition - Brilliant black

batch

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

As I mentioned when I first began posting on here, my partner and I recently took the plunge and purchased a brand new S3. I'd been after one for ages and after looking at a few used ones, eventually got a phenomenal deal on a new car from TONBRIDGE AUDI (I can't recommend this dealer enough - made to feel really welcome, very supportive, friendly and reassuring).

We went for a Brilliant black 3-door Black Edition with black embossed leather and "Comfort Pack" option. Clare had wanted parking sensors, and I like the tech of the auto wipers/lights. I was all set for a white one but at the last minute, and faced with four different cars all available from Audi UK stock, we said black. As I said before, when I first walked into the showroom and saw the brilliant black BE they had in there, I turned to my girlfriend and said "That's just changed my mind about black S3s"! Have to say that IMHO I made the right choice -especially the brilliant black because it is of course an EXACT match for all the exterior and interior Black Styling Package items and I've always thought that a normal solid black can look like no other colour for depth and reflection!
Graham, my salesman, called me after a few days checking available stock and said he'd found a Brilliant Black one with the Comfort Pack, keeping everyone happy! He had found a Panther Black one but alas another dealer got in before us and had it! Darn!

So here's the pics...
My salesman emailed me these on the Thursday afternoon, a nice teaser! I was pretty excited by this point!

2pics001.jpg

2pics002.jpg

2pics003.jpg

On the Saturday morning we went down to the dealer, I could hardly wait and the only reason I slept at all Friday night was the knackering week I'd had! (Even though I'd only worked two days, hehe!)

This was a nice touch, although we had to pass the dealer about an hour before handover and I almost spoilt the moment by seeing my car getting moved into position!
001.jpg

And then off came the cover!

Handover3BLANK.jpg

Handover4BLANK.jpg
<br><br>
Handover2BLANK.jpg

As I am a lovely boyfriend, I let the other half have the first drive which was from Tonbridge back to South London, however I then got an hour and a bit in it as Clare had a nail appointment! As we are in an urban area I didn't get much of a play but seeing as it was nicely warm after the gentle motorway drive home, I did have a couple of little squirts...

So that was Easter Saturday, and we've now had it two weeks. Some feedback?

Firstly, and I do appreciate that there are several modified examples on here, I am blown away by how effortlessly powerful it feels. It's easy to drive quickly, relaxing to drive slowly and of course a VERY nice place to be. Personally I love the BOSE, you have to adjust your thinking as in my ears it produces sound more like a home theatre system than your average car install (so not bass-heavy and compartmented but crisp, clear and with different aspects of the music coming at you from different places). I know you'll all know this anyway but for anyone out there who is shopping or doesn't have an S3, here's my views! Clare loves it for being comfy, cosy and its handsome looks, I love it as it is an absolute WEAPON cross-country. I've not been thrashing it, obviously, but even without really giving it some stick you can make serious progress. I initially scared myself with how fast the car could take corners, absolutely no handling issues but my brain and eyes were saying I should have backed off ages back! I've been well aware a couple of times that my old VR6, even with its sticky tyres and sorted chassis, would have been backwards (or forwards) through the nearest hedge way before the S3 even had to work! Some of the major magazine roadtests had said that the S3 feels a little dull to drive quickly as it's SO capable, but I must admit I'm not bored yet!
My car came with the Bridgestone RE050s, which I was hoping for, and I'm so far very well impressed. I'd initially wanted black alcantara seats but love the leather - the quality of it and feel, also on the steering wheel, is great. I might sound stupidly excited here but I've lusted after one of these cars for ages, and having had old VAG/Ford/Peugeot hot hatches and then my partner's 206 "fever" this feels amazing to be in!<br><br>Another pic taken by my good friend Thor when we went for a BH Monday drive...

IMG_0848.jpg

Now I must admit I never liked those wheels, and in fact when I was going to be factory-ordering a car I wanted to spec the pre-2011 wheels instead (anthracite RS4-style), but I'm really warming to them, they suit the look of the car and contrary to what I thought (a bit "bling" for my liking) they and the car get admiring looks from people all over the place (although that could be the striking handsome driver?!

Ok so there have been some negative points so far...&nbsp;

- I am surprised at the fuel consumption so far, average is apparently 19mpg and I've not got above 25mpg. I'm only going off the DIS but it does seem to be drinking a lot - the car's had an almost equal dose of rapid cross-country, M-Way cruising and commuting so far. A couple of my mechanic friends have assured me that the fuel consumption will calm down a bit after 1500 miles or so so I'll wait for that to see if it does! I've already noticed a slight improvement and of course I have to get used to how the car drives, gears etc..
- THAT front arch gap/ride height; It seems to have settled thankfully, and the car now looks a bit more squat.
- As I have a 32gb iPhone full of music, I'm surprised that there isn't a search option on the RNS-e that works the same way as the alphabet wheel within the NAV/TEL modes. I think I have about 500 albums (or more) and I've found the search a bit labour-intensive (although I've now found out that if you spin the wheel really fast it shortcuts into a sort of alphabet search).
-The major issue (Had to go back to Audi); After just a week, the car was covered in hazy swirl marks. I do appreciate that a solid gloss black car is always going to be a mission to keep spot-on but after a week, and three careful washes, I don't think that should have happened! Thankfully the superb team at Tonbridge Audi agreed and the car was re-finished for me the other day, to a much higher standard.
- Also my plastic wheelnut covers discoloured to a faded white after two washes, however once again the dealer was fantastic and these were replaced for me. The tainted ones are going to be Hammerited in anthracite and kept for spares or winter caps!

If anyone can offer advice about how best to protect this apparently quite fragile paint from swirls and keep that awesome gleam locked in, I'd appreciate the help - I'm looking to get a protection detail done first then combine regular maintenance details with my own work, when I can (communal car park with no facilities unless I visit the folks or inlaws!). I am sad, and quite ****** off, to say that this morning I noticed several deep, individual swirl marks across the bonnet that even after some finishing polish was run over them, have not gone. I'm reluctant to complain AGAIN especially as it may not be Audi's fault, so I guess it will be some minor correction before the protection.

Thanks for reading, apologies for the essay - I have to say I'm really happy with the car as it is so don't really have any plans except to enjoy it and keep it looking and feeling showroom fresh. Maybe a remap will creep in at some point, and I might have to drop the front with the help of a pair of Eibach springs - but at the moment I can live without both of those mods!&nbsp;

Last edited:
Reactions: MrWhItEwOlF, ~RS~ and coxy16
Thanks Matty, I'm well happy although as it's a stock car I can't take any of the props! All down to Audi! Hehe.

What a cool write up, Batch! Glad you are both enjoying your lovely new S3 BE, it looks awesome! :wub: xx

Nice, just perfect! wouldn't change a thing

What a cool write up, Batch! Glad you are both enjoying your lovely new S3 BE, it looks awesome! :wub: xx

Thanks Paulie! I'm in heaven! Just hope someone (hint hint to anyone here!) can offer some pointers about the black paint. I don't wanna be doomed to a lifetime of swirl marks, scratches and dull paint!
How are you my dear?

Looks lovely mate. If I was you I'd get the correction and protection done ASAP. Even the most careful wash process will cause some swirling, and black shows it up more than most. Look over in the detailing section for tips and products, there's loads of good advice over there. Can't believe you let the other half have first go, mine has to steal the keys when I'm not looking!

Welcome to the S3 club. You certainly have a nice car there and will enjoy every minute of it. Take as much info from this forum as you can. Makes a huge difference as there is a wealth of knowledge on here and all are very happy to help out whenever they can regardless of how trivial the question may sound. Congrats on your purchase.

Hope they gave you the car cover.......I want one of them.

looks the part, my bro has a black ed s line sportback and i allways think it looks real mean... I know what you mean about the front wheel arch gap it is bugging me loads at the mo, esp as the back fits so nicely!!

great pics though and enjoy.

I was with you on the wheels, when I purchased my car (A3 BE) I purposely ruled out the rotor wheels from my searches and went for a car sporting the anthracite double spokes. I do still love the wheels I've got, but the rotors have definitely grown on me since then.

Your car looks very nice! Hopefully it will stay looking that shiny too :)

Just spotted what you said about the plastic wheel nut covers fading - when I went to view my car prior to purchasing, I saw that they were very faded / discoloured too. I pointed it out to the dealer and they said they'd replace them before I pick it up (cost pennies) but he did mention that I should take them off when washing my wheels just to be safe. I was told that some alloy wheel cleaners can cause this to happen so it's always safe to remove them prior to washing - done that since day 1 and never had a problem :)

Enjoy the car mate.

Hello mate, I have a brilliant black 8P and have exactly the same issues, no matter what I clean it with. Im afraid I can offer no advice on stopping it other than making sure all your mitts and microfibres are spotless and kept free of crap, but even doing this I still cant stop it lol. Luckily I have a machine polisher which I run over every few months with a really light cut polish which seems to do the trick

Amazing car mate!!! If only my mrs was a huge S3 fanatic like myself! Stunning!

I've just bought the same in Phantom Black with S-Tronic. Great car. Haven't washed mine yet so not sure about the paint work, but I did get it treated with Auto-Glym and looks ok at the moment. I'm also getting 19-25mpg from the first 500miles of driving, which is definitely less than I expected (although I have pushed it a little bit).

Welcome to the black brigade, a life of fighting the swirl marks awaits you. Lovely car! Enjoy.

absolutely stunning car m8!! looks sooooooo glossy i love it:icon_thumright:

What a lovely car - and a great write up. I'm afraid that as a Brilliant Red owner, I can confirm what everyone says above about the solid paints being a right pain in the bum to keep looking good (although they do look superb when finished). These are also very, very hard paints and are a lot of effort to "cut" with polishing compounds, should you need to.

It will depend on how OCD you are and how much effort you can put in to keep the finish swirl free. As you'll know, it's mainly washing the car that will add the swirls... I've given up worrying too much as on-street parking and kids don't allow me enough space or time to be completely obsessive about it.

Personally, I consider one or two annual sessions with a professional detailer as part of routine maintenance (about the same annual cost of a decent set of tyres). I would recommend that you get the car detailed in this way quite soon; ideally with a very high quality sealant like Glare, to give you some added protection.

Enjoy it! :)

Looks lovely mate. If I was you I'd get the correction and protection done ASAP. Even the most careful wash process will cause some swirling, and black shows it up more than most. Look over in the detailing section for tips and products, there's loads of good advice over there. Can't believe you let the other half have first go, mine has to steal the keys when I'm not looking!
Yeah I think I'm a pretty good boyfriend! Haha. Clare really loves it so it was only fair as we'd traded in her car for it! Update on bodywork will follow shortly...

UPDATE - Thanks for all the kind comments and advice guys! I've not managed to get online for over a week now so apologies for the delay and as there's loads of nice comments left I'm just doing a collective thank you instead of individual replies, hope that is OK!

I've tee'd up a local detailer to do a minor correction and protection detail and he's waiting in the wings; However I've had a doofus moment and need to sort that out first! I was jetwashing the car at a garage near my parents' on Sunday afternoon - Just a quick going over with the spray foam and then pressure rinse - all was well until the washer suddenly totally cut out mid-session! I still had credit in the machine and everything, it just stopped - and when all the pressure died in the lance, of course my hold on the lance was too firm and the tip of it crashed down onto the bonnet. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! :sob:
There's a TINY dent, more of a dimple really, and a little cluster of scratches as the protective plastic tip on the lance was missing. Now this is clearly a FAIL on my part for being silly/impatient enough to use one of these ****** things, but to be fair to me I've been using them for over a decade professionally as well as privately and I know what I'm doing! I've emailed the petrol company to lodge a complaint and just have to wait and see now, hopefully I can get compensated! WHAT a ****!

So that's my negativity-loaded update, nothing else to report for now except slightly improved fuel economy, and just generally getting more confident and more settled into what is an awesome rocketship!

UPDATE - Thanks for all the kind comments and advice guys! I've not managed to get online for over a week now so apologies for the delay and as there's loads of nice comments left I'm just doing a collective thank you instead of individual replies, hope that is OK!

I've tee'd up a local detailer to do a minor correction and protection detail and he's waiting in the wings; However I've had a doofus moment and need to sort that out first! I was jetwashing the car at a garage near my parents' on Sunday afternoon - Just a quick going over with the spray foam and then pressure rinse - all was well until the washer suddenly totally cut out mid-session! I still had credit in the machine and everything, it just stopped - and when all the pressure died in the lance, of course my hold on the lance was too firm and the tip of it crashed down onto the bonnet. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! :sob:
There's a TINY dent, more of a dimple really, and a little cluster of scratches as the protective plastic tip on the lance was missing. Now this is clearly a FAIL on my part for being silly/impatient enough to use one of these ****** things, but to be fair to me I've been using them for over a decade professionally as well as privately and I know what I'm doing! I've emailed the petrol company to lodge a complaint and just have to wait and see now, hopefully I can get compensated! WHAT a ****!

So that's my negativity-loaded update, nothing else to report for now except slightly improved fuel economy, and just generally getting more confident and more settled into what is an awesome rocketship!

Ahhh gutted for you mate! So early after your purchase as well. Think on the possitive side that something like this wud of happened in future whether a slight kerb mark or stone chip so you have had that sinking feeling almost straight away than having the feeling of nerves of when something might happen!

Hi Andy, thanks for the support! Haha! Good news is it seems the petrol company are willing to assist me, they've asked for two repair estimates, pictures and a statement so all good there it seems? Has anyone ha any similar experiences?
Ive a good mind to demand a brand new replacement bonnet supplied and painted by Audi as I reckon I deserve that! We will have to wait and see!

Batch, good write up.

Weirdly i bought an almost exact spec car from Tonbridge Audi back in October last year. Great service from those guys.

Absolutely love the car as i see you do, the only thing that taints it for me is wanting to keep it clean creates serious stress levels when it rains!!

Really nice car my brother, looks very much like my BE Quattro but with added S3-ness.

Mine is phantom black and I've actually been quite surprised that iv'e only had to wash it once, no marks or anything so faar that iv'e noticed...

There a thread in the detailing bit that reassured me that almost any damage can be recovered swirl mark-wise, I'll see if I can fish out the link.

What a beautiful car,if you dont mind can I just sit on it for 1 minute??I am just kidding lol.

Great looking car batch, and I enjoyed the write up I could feel the new car excitement! I agree with you about the iphone search I ended up creating a few new playlists just make things easier.

I'm sure the fuel economy will improve quite a bit as the car settles, you are probably enjoying the performance quite a bit at the moment too, just as you should!

Re the paint swirls have you seen this detailing write up:
&#9600;&#9604; Miglior Detailing: Audi RS3 - New Car detail - Sprint Blue with Crystal Rock &#9604;&#9600; - Detailing World

I suspect a lot of the 'swirls' were in the paint from the factory. I think it's the same on most mainstream new cars - unless you're at the MP4 12C end of the market with their dedicated team of paint people of course. I know my car certainly has a few, they magically disappear after a good clean but soon return again. I know it's annoying and it looks like only a professional detail is the answer.

As for the mods I think you are right to enjoy the car as it is, I'm sure there is a lot to learn about it yet. I've enjoyed quite a few driver training days that have taught me to get a lot more from the car than I thought possible.

Enjoy, great choice!

With regards to the swirls, your best bet would probably be a dual-action polisher to polish them out when they get too bad, and very careful cleaning - Lambswool wash mitt, two buckets, gently gently, lots of microfibres etc. With proper technique you can drastically reduce the number of swirls you inflict on the paint, but some are inevitable - you just wait until you can't stand them any more, then remove them using as gentle a polish as possible.

If you're not already, get yourself onto the detailing section here and detailingworld.com - both excellent resources with a lot of helpful people. WARNING: This will be hazardous to your bank account. I went on to see which wax I should be using, and am probably down £300 so far...

Thanks for all the comments guys! Really nice to see such friendly people on here, such a nice change...!
The excellent news is that the insurers for the petrol company accepted liability and I have had the bonnet repaired by Audi! Now I need my fellow 8People to help me out here... Who can recommend a trusted, competitive detailer in the South East London/West Kent/East Sussex areas for a full correction/protection detail on the outside and who can help me keep on top of the car looking pristine?
All suggestions welcome!
Cheers
batch

I look the stealth look of this - very very nice mate.

Nice to see another S3 in South London. Make sure the misses doesn't curb those alloys ;)
Thanks Rich! And thanks for the PM too...;-)
happy to say that 8P S3s are still quite rare round here so I do get some looks - however I'm in Battersea quite a lot and they're everywhere! Haha. Saw a nice Ibis White (I think?) 10-or-60-plate one passing through West Dulwich the other day, looked tidy!

Nice car - I would say that as mine is the same only 5 door (see in my profile for a pic).

Gutted about the dent for you. After 8k miles my missus kerbed the alloys on the offside, i can feel your pain!