Heating stinks like vomit for first few mins and then stops

DJ_Troopa

Reaction score
Hi people

First issue with the car.... the smelly heater syndrome! It stinks like vomit for the first few minutes and then the smell goes away. Sometimes i can't even put my heating on it stinks so bad! :puke2:

I had the same issue on my 8L S3 before and that was resolved by changing the pollen filter. But i've had this car for a month now and it had a full service before i collected it. Or could they be telling fibs about them servicing it? They've given me the receipt for all parts purchased from TPS which also includes water pump and cambelt.

Hope everyone's well.

AJ

It could be with the aircon not been used if your using it now,if it is that you can buy a aersol from decent aircon places that you set off put your aircon on recirc and leave in the car for so many minutes so this works its way round your heater system killing bacteria and making the smell more pleasant

Sounds like you need to get your aircon re-gassed. This is not included as part of a service usually.

Best to get it done as an old air-con unit that hasn't been maintained can produce harmful bacteria which in some cases has led to legionnaires disease (not just in cars but big air con units in homes and offices)

Pull out the pollen filter right away. Should not take you more than a few minutes. You should quickly see if it is a new one. There are two types, one with activated carbon, and one without. If you have aircon, then the one they should have fitted is the carbon one. The plain-jane one is white, the carbon one looks darker. I agree with Leach that a spray should help too. The only other explanation is that you have a rat's nest in there somewhere lol.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll try the spray thing, i did that in my S3 and it didn't work but i realised the pollen filter was shagged so i got a new one.

Where is the pollen filter and how do i get it out??

I hope it's not a rats nest haha.

The pollen filter is located under the glove-box on the passenger side. Under the glove-box there is a piece of soft trim and two thumb screws. Undo these screws and put them to one side. Then wiggle the piece of trim off carefully. Being soft it will be easy to replace. With the trim off you will see a black horizontal plastic cover. Slide this cover to the left and it will disengage from the pollen filter box. The pollen filter should drop down, and you can remove it. Reassembly is simply the reverse. The filter is not square, but there is a angle on one side. Note the way it comes out, and put it back the same way. Good luck.