Calling all Mum's & Dad's (& grandparents LOL) ~ Baby car seat advice

Helifella

Co-Driver ~ Hattie
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi,

About to buy my first forward facing car seat for my 10 month little lady. I would prefer a seat to last (9mth - 12yrs (Group 1,2,3)) as it will be well looked after. Does anyone have any recommendations or ones to steer well clear of.

I will only buy new and not overly fussed about ISOFIX, cup holders or built-in speakers but recline would be nice, did someone mention alcantara...

Oh and it's gotta look the part, my interior is Sprint cloth & black leather with silver stitching.

Last edited:
recaro baby seats are always a nice touch!
have a look on halfrauds website they have loads! in loads of colours and age groups!

We've got a maxi cosi priori, which I think looks quite smart. However, it's not 9mt-12yrs though, we knew we'd be having more kids so have bought this and by the time our oldest has grown out of it she'll get a booster style seat and the youngest will use this one. If you're just having the one child then I agree maybe the group 1,2,3 might be best. Just thought I'd give an opinion on the priori in case you considered it. :)

The problems you have with a group 123 seat is that it never fits as well as a group 1 seat or a group 2+3 seat individually, yes a group 123 is secure enough to meet the standard however I would never buy one, I would always go with a Group 1 seat, then a group 2-3 seat.

If your not bothered about isofix then go for a maxi cosi priory xp as it is the most secure and reasonably priced seat in its class, also looks quite smart and you can get new covers for it if need be. Or a recaro group 1 seat. All of the recaro seats are top notch.

A group 2-3 seat is easier to choose as they are all very similar as they are basically booster seats with a back, they can also be much cheaper than a group 1 seat, so what you shell out initially on a group 1 seat you wont have to do again on a group 2+3 seat.

PM me if you want any more advise, used to be the fitter for hellfrauds so know which seats fit well etc.

All great advice thanks, knew I could rely on you guys and grandparents too LOL No mention of Audi's own seats? Think i'll have to head out and have a play. 3DTDi cheers, gonna have a chat with Mrs H and might have some more questions for you.

One point I read a while back was to remove kids shoes while in the car so as not to overly damage the car trim.

Could you state which make / model / group, your seats are if possible?

Thanks in advance.

You heard the man...

Pics would be helpful.

Anyone got the Maxi Cosy Axiss?

Another vote for Maxi Cosi Priorifix - with the Isofix. I can't understand why people wouldn't want the most secure fixing system available for a child's car seat? It is more expensive, but does come with added peace of mind and ease of use.

As you will no doubt have some experience of, it's really worrying when you see how many friends and family wrongly fit car seats that rely on the adult seat belt reel. With a car seat like a Priorifix, you can always do both the Isofix connection and the seatbelt fitting for total assurance (not what I do, but seen some friends do this).

More food for thought: Volvo will not supply forward-facing child seats for under 4s. Obviously at odds with the Priorifix recommendaton, but worth looking into?!

What timing for a thread. Been looking at seats this week!

Ive currently got a BMW 330d Sport (saloon) in which we use a Maxi Cosi Priory XP.
The deal with buying the A3 (3dr) was id buy another seat, so it can stay in the A3 and never have to come out. Babas grandparents have her on a saturday and need the seat, so they would keep current one.

Been looking at the Recaro line up mostly.

RECARO Young Expert. Non Isofix Group 1

RECARO Young Expert Plus. Isofix (with extra base) Group 1

RECARO Young Sport. Non Isofix Group 123

There the ones ive been focusing on.
Not overly fussed about Isofix, as it will be staying in the car. And i know i can fit them properly.

Leaning towards the Sport. Going to go and have a look at some before i order one though.

Now, Cherry Red or Silver (which looks more white to me?) Going in a Black A3, with Black leather/alcantara seats, white/cream headling.

I know what your saying about ISOFIX, our 0+ seat is ISO and with two bases, one for my parents and the other for my / wifes cars its been a right rigmarol swapping over as I work away through the week and have to swap it all over to Mrs H's Yaris incase she needs to head out.

I looked at the Gp1 version of what we have, so as to keep the current ISO bases and it gets a really poor reviews - typical.

After chatting with Mrs H again part way through writing this post we recon we could manage with one ISO then at least I know when i'm not around she is fastened correctly. Down to pennies really, but my parents did say they'd help out a little with ££

The Sport is likely my choice, about £150, the Expert Plus with a Base is around £210.
But there seems to be very little benefit to Isofix if your not removing the seat at all. Saftey wise, other than its more likely to be fitted correctly, theres not much to say its any better.

My GF doesnt drive, so babas not in the car a great deal anyway, im at work all day etc.
Was surprised to see my A3 has front Isofix points. Bit unsightly tbh.

I second the part regarding not selecting a seat that spans multiple age groups (1-2-3): a dedicated group 1 seat (about 1-3 yrs of age) is a far better option as opposed to a seat that takes 1-12yrs kids. It's more costly though, buying a new seat at 3+ yrs, but I'd have the comfort and safety over the money anytime. Can't see inside your wallet, of course...

Don't not be fussed about isofix - it makes a big difference in side impacts!

The recaro seats look good but from which reviews I have read are apparent not so great.

I'd always leans towards maxicosi.
I've recently bought a jane which is very good when it comes to growing with the child and is isofix. About £140.

TBH I wouldnt even consider a seat without isofix, the ease of use is a seller, but more impostantly I know that seat isnt going anywhere, I removed the familyfix base & maxi cosi pearl in about 5 seconds flat from the back of the SB & refits in about the same, we have these in Italy & UK, it goes upto 4-5 years old which is more than good enough, plus it looks good lol.

Remember though mate, its not about style is it, its about ease of use, safety which is 1st & comfort for the kid, last thing you need to worry about is if it suits the inside of your car, seriously lol.

Thank you all for bringing me back on track. I've regrouped my priorities and had a really good thunk (deeper than a think, not a typo)

Hattie was the light at the end of a very long dark tunnel of miscarriages and can't bear the thought of loosing her to a skimping of safety while travelling in our lovely car. So money shall flow in the name of safety. end of.

So i'm now looking at the Maxi Cosy Priorifix ISOFIX.

Anyway to start the pics flowing albeit not a baby seat its my little lady.

576217_10150831119687835_638792834_11775452_924976029_n.jpg

Lovely photo, makes you rethink your priorities kids hey fella, I would goto a halfords or the like & compare the pearl with the priorfix tbh as I found the pearl was better comfort, ease of use & safety wise.

The familyfix base is very good tbh, love the led indicator to advise its a safe/locked position, also the seat can be laid back for when they're asleep.

We have the set in both countries even if the UK would probably be used once a year, never scrimp on things like this, ever.

Just bought 2 of the baby weavers shuffle. Our 9 month old seems happy in there, the isofix was a doddle to install, straps are easy to adjust and beep if unfastened. The colour matches the 2 colour leather I've got as well

z1.jpg

Not saying I agree with this but there are a few reports which state isofix car seats send more force to the infant during a crash as they do not give, unlike a seat belt, when during a crash takes up some of the energy by tighting the belt.

My only advice is go to John Lewis as there sales people know what they are talking about unlike toy r us which just try and sell you there own brand of seats

Once upon a time I used to work at ToysRus while at college and unless things have changed we were trained very well with an unbias mind.

As we all know commercial pressures can make or break a company when it comes to selling stuff so guess tRu have maybe sucum.

Too cut a long (boring)story short-

I wanted to put my three year old to the next seat up at toys r us they said yeah great buy this one, then i went to John Lewis and Halfords and both of them agreed that he was still too small as his eye line was not above the top of the seat he currently has.

I agree it could of been just that particular sales person but JL and Halfords seemed a lot more informed and because they do not have there own brands they had a more open opinion.

Although i am still in toy r us every weekend buying plastic cr@p which he only plays with for 5 mins.

Not saying I agree with this but there are a few reports which state isofix car seats send more force to the infant during a crash as they do not give, unlike a seat belt, when during a crash takes up some of the energy by tighting the belt.

Q. How does ISOFIX work?

A. The connection:

ISOFIX anchorage points are installed in the vehicles – there are matching connectors on the child safety seats. With this system the seats are securely, correctly and permanently attached to the vehicle body.

What happens during an accident:

In case of an accident, the child safety seat is just as quickly slowed down as the car itself due to the fixed connection between child safety seat and vehicle body. This all reduces the strain placed on the cervical spine as well as the risk of head injury.
An additional important effect of the ISOFIX connection is that the sideways movement of the child safety seat is minimized and the tipping movement to the front is intercepted by a foot prop or the Top Tether.

From reading that, I think I know which I'd go for!

ISOFIX FAQ

I've got a maxi cosi tobi. Good looking seat and has recline function.

Hi Jameze

Dont get me wrong i have isofix myself and like i said i dont really agree with it but just sharing the knowledge.

We went to Halfords and had a good look and decided to get the Maxi Cosy Priorifix along with confirmation we can return it should Mrs H find it impossible to to lift it from her car to my parents car when I'm away flying.

It's a heavy blighter with the ISOFIX being intergrated in the seat itself. We also looked at the MC Pearl as suggested by NHN, but was very expensive when you buy the ISOFIX base as well and for the odd time when Mrs H will need to remove it from her car, the cost didn't weigh up. (Mrs H is petite and has dislocated ribs from the pregnancy so struggles to lift heavy things at the mo.)

Anyhoo, with Hattie strapped in we headed home and with a flick of the recllne switch, she slid back smoothly and within 2 min was zonked.

So thank you all for your help, all three of us appreciate it.

Happy Days.

564947_10151513654776996_624136995_9762768_1161583581_n.jpg

PS rear sunblinds are great, especially with the privacy glass too. :cool:

Yeah I understand about the price, we started with a baby seat pebble & cabriofix initially, now the pearl, so the familyfix was the best option for us, as it allowed fitting for both types of seats upto 4.5 years, that may change as I like newer things lol.

Man she looks zonked, I remember when we drove Issy to UK from Italy, 1st time, she was as good as gold, didnt make a sound, bat a eyelid, couldnt believe it tbh, but these days it maybe wouldnt be the same lol.

(we have the Tobi too, nice seat)

On a side note: how do you keep the booster seat from denting your seat. And with denting, I mean leaving permanent marks. Is there a way around this?

I've read somewhere of a pad specifically to stop the dents, wear to the existing car seat. I for one am very interested. Anything to displace the pressure should do and a method of holding it in place - you wouldn't want it flinging round the cabin should you have a prang!

Just found this...

Prince Lionheart - Two Stage Seatsaver - Aton. - Mamas & Papas

Last edited:
I recon a footwell mat placed upside down would help. It's thick enough to displace any pressure and the fabric is soft enough not to damage the back seat and the usually rubbery underside would grip the bottom of the childs seat.