Wanted - A3 2012 in dash card tray

apoc_reg

Reaction score
Anyone have one or know where I can get one?!? For some reason my brand new A3 just has the 3 spacers fitted.

It's the one with a slant that fits on the right of a right hand drive car not he older rectangle one.

Thanks for any help!

Rich

Anyone have one or know where I can get one?!? For some reason my brand new A3 just has the 3 spacers fitted.

It's the one with a slant that fits on the right of a right hand drive car not he older rectangle one.

Thanks for any help!

Rich

Funny because I've also got a new 2012 A3 SE Sportback and after seeing your post I had a look at mine. It dosn't have a coin tray either just the 3 switch blanks.

I've had a look on the ETKA parts catalogue and it is still listed but for dates 07/08 > 01/10. The part number is 8P0 941 561J and the price is listed as £36.73 incl VAT. Whether it will fit a 2012 model I don't know.

It's quite surprising the number of small changes between my 2009 A3 Sportback SE and my new 2012 A3 Sportback. Here is a list of the items I've noticed so far:

1. Different gear-knob
  2. Different gear change action - with resistance
  3. Chrome door handles
  4. Optional 16-spoke alloys are single darker colour
  5. Different mirrors - smaller and fold better
  6. Different way of displaying gears in the DIS - D4 and M5 rather than PRNDS and list if numbers
  7. No coming home switch on lighting switch - changes made using DIS
  8. More change options on DIS - Lighting
  9. DIS option to show current/overall mpg/outside temp/radio on same screen
  10. Chrome edges to door windows switches
  11. Chrome knob to mirror changing switch
  12. Brightness of footwell lights adjustable using DIS
  13. Auto Start/stop system
  14. Grill and fog light surrounds now gloss black
  15. Extra chrome surrounds and strip for fog lights
  16. Badge on the back just says TDI rather than 2.0TDI
  17. No space saver - compressor and sealant instead
  18. No coin tray in centre console.

Just going to your point 9. I know you have the Eco-screen which you can change to show different measurements. But is it possible to change the top half of the screen that shows radio/track info. Would be great to get MPG in there instead!

Working from the top of the screen is shows:
Radio station name or frequency or TP1,2,3 for track number if placing a CD. These are just normal CD, Not sure what it would show if they were MP3.
Outside temperature
---------------------
total miles remaining or journey time
---------------------
overall mpg for journey
current or instant mpg
---------------------
details of gear selected using s-tronic.

Last edited:
Only way to get coin/storage tray is to fit the older MY09 console buttons etc as tray was removed from MY10 onwards, also note connections changed.

The newer console tray (MY10 +) has the switch holders heat staked to the back of it so that the switches clip in it rather than the older way which is to fit the switches in the dash then clipping the trim bezel around it - this is to achieve better alignment of the switches to each other and the bezel. I guess this could be dremelled away but then I don't know how the card holder would be supported.

If you was to install the complete '09 MY unit then as NHN says, the switches are different as the newer unit looks to have one connector for stop/start and traction control combined. Could be a tricky one this .....

Cheers Rob

i've had it out and looked and as you say its heat soaked but it is in two parts still so if i could cut away the side where the 3 spacers are it would come out and the tray would still work as it clips into the dash ok (I've checked).

Its wether I could cut the plasic without ruining it!! Guessing a stanley knife wouldnt do it ;-)

Anyone know a way of checking what a replacement MY10+ would cost me if I did ruin it...!?

Cheers!

Dont even bother taking it apart, its not worth it, just buy 09 versions & sell your unit on.

As NHN says that is probably easiest, less risk and you wouldn't be too much out of pocket. The only question is the vehicle harness going into the switches as later switches only have one connector ... ?

If you go down the dismantle route I'd be inclined to try a soldering iron to melt off the plastic heat stakes - I have a scrap one I could send you to experiment on first just cover the postage.

Perfect cheers rob, let me know the postage and I'll transfer it over. That way i'll know if I should just do as suggestted and find an older version!

Thanks guys

Your best bet is to heat up the flattened plastic & then prise the part away so it leaves a slight pillar as such so you can then slide something back onto it, should the need arise, heat up area & flatten it again.

Harness is least of worries.

I'll post it tomorrow Rich - just send whatever is on the stamp.

Having looked at it just now the same posts that hold the blanking plate surround to the bezel also hold the spring clips in place so it could be tricky so best to have a play.

All the best rob.

Thanks Rob, I'll let you know how it goes.... think i'll try soldering iron on one side and dremel on the other!

Success! Thanks to Rob for sending me the part to try, I ended up using that as it worked perfectly first time.

now if only I could get it to light up too :)

For anyone who ever wants to do something similar with the latest A3's this is how:

photo2pdj.jpg

photogjw.jpg

Awesome !! Well done Rich and nice write up.

I have a MY12 car too and want to try this mod, so thanks for the write-up.