2.0TFSI, manual or DSG?

johnmv55

Reaction score
I test drove a 2.0T DSG yesterday to replace my 2.0FSI, I am not sure whether I would go with the DSG or the 6 speed manual, any thoughts on the matter from people who have driven both?

From reading posts here it seems that DSG problems/dislikes seem to manifest themselves more on diesel models.

I have the 2.0TFSI DSG and love it, the only possible downside is that you can't have quattro with the dsg (at the moment anyway) on the 2.0T

Also my my insurance was slightly less as its classed as an 'automatic' (you know, blue rinse and all that)

[ QUOTE ]

If I was considering a 2.0T I would still go for the DSG for the sheer pleasure it adds to my driving.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all about opinions I suppose,but if I were typing the above it would read;

'If I was considering the 2.0T I would avoid the DSG for the sheer frustration it adds to my driving'

I know for a fact I'm a lot slower over many roads in my DSG A3 than I was in my manual A4,despite the better engine and handling of the A3.

One has to 'make allowances' for the DSG that one simply does not have to do with a manual and the greater control you get with it.

Try it for yourself but do not,as I did,take other peoples' word that DSG is great and order it 'blindly'.

Not that I had much choice when wanting an S-line anyway.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It'll be manual for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What spec ?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It'll be manual for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What spec ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, hopefully 2.00 TDI (170 BHP stock) Quattro S-line Sportback.

Or maybe the S3, if it is a 2.00 TFSI or a larger stock A3 TFSI which is probably in the pipeline.

In ebony or phantom black (which ever one is present at the time), with black roof rails and dechromed grill.

But i'm in no hurry, sold my R32 about this time last year (and personally wouldn't go for another big engine as running costs were silly), and have just been patient, watching and listeining to you guys, seeing how they all fair. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Sounds like audi options listings! confusing!

So on the diesels, the s-line pack is really an 's-line & DSG pack'

If you had to pay for DSG, which is the same option price as Quattro on the diesels, why not go for the TDI quattro manual with s-line? Surely s-line doesn't mean DSG on the 4wd diesels?

I drove both and went for the manual in the end. Tough choice and it was the quattro on the manual that did it for me.

As has been said above - definitely drive both cos it's a personal choice.

[ QUOTE ]

So on the diesels, the s-line pack is really an 's-line & DSG pack'

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just the diesel.

If you want a 2wd (non-quattro) S-line petrol you must take DSG.

If you want a manual,you must take quattro.

On the A3 3-door it is possible to now order a 2.00 TDI quattro s-line or a 2.00 TDI DSG s-line, both costing the same, with the sportback (in this country) you can only order a 2.00 TDI DSG s-line, at present.

I think it is just a set price.

Link

Back to the thread -

The tough choice for me was going for DSG and sacrificing quattro. Both would have been nice, but all in, personally the DSG gives more enjoyment, MORE OF THE TIME, than quattro.

All driving involves gear changing, but in my experience, only a very small amount of driving time benefits from quattro. (usually unsociable driving activities!)

I personally dont like the Audi DSG set-up on petrol engines.
I enjoy driving too much and like the option of being fully in control of the gear change.

As said in a similar thread some months ago, the fact that the DSG changes up automatically even in manual/tiptronic mode when "IT" deems necessary bother me - Alot! Surely that is what the D mode is for???

VW got it right on the R32 but i suppose that was a bit more hardcore than the audi shopping charriots.

BTW, has anyone tried the new GTI DSG, im interested to know how it is set up?

[ QUOTE ]
any thoughts on the matter from people who have driven both?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have driven both, chose manual. Reason is that I basically wanted to row through the gears myself, and pat my own back when doing a nice launch or efficient heel & toe. Mind you, I have also toasted my clutch, which had to be replaced at 8,500 miles. The clutch plate was fine, it was the slave cylinder which gave away.

I'm surprised no one has said "if you're going to mod it, go for a manual". Lightweight flywheels and strengthened clutches will very soon be available for the 2.0t.

I would most definitely go for Haldex 4wd, as it truly does away with power-on understeer.

my 2 cents' worth.

I was such a huge manual only fan, but the DSG changed my mind completely... you have the option of cruising and not caring about gears, etc. or going-for-it in sport mode (how I used to drive my old manual)... or go for the paddles and gearshift nudge on the stick... more options of how to drive might mean you take longer to find the one's you prefer depending on your mood, but at least you have the options. I love the freedom of manual, but only to make slow gear changes.

Personally on any turbo car I'd go manual, only so I can use the clutch to spool the turbo up better on occasion, not the best way to look after your clutch but I'm sure the other real drivers out there will admit to doing it on occasion! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Go for the quattro (there isn't 2wd manual even available?), especially if you ever want to chip it, there's just too much power to the front wheels.

GTI has excellent suspension and handling, but A3 doesn't have that, and even in the GTI you could hope for Quattro.

And also, manual brings more fun than DSG to driving, and until they sort out DSG S-mode, it's useless.

Manual for me, prefer to change gear my self and the 6 speed is a nice box....

I wanted both Quattro and DSG which was unavailable on the 2.0T so went for the 3.2 V6 which came with both. I had been a manual only driver for 20 years until taking the DSG for an extended test drive then using the full-on foot to the floor paddle upshifts with the 3.2 was incredible. Try not to use the automatic modes but indulge in manual paddle shifts. Bearing down on a corner and pulling the left paddle three times on the V6 never fails to raise the hairs on the back of my neck.

YMMV of course.

Hey folks!

Just got my 2.0TDI Sline DSG (on the 24th) and have to say its the best box I've tried! Its the first auto i've had and would never have chosen one before as the changes are slow in comparisson to the manuals, however DSG changes all that. There are a couple of things it does that annoy me like changing up when it hits the redline but for overtaking its blinding and for the daily commute on the A1 its superb! Cant see myself getting another auto again............

oops, last line should have read cant see myself getting another manual again!

When I drove the DSG 3.2Q and I had it in manual mode I had the car at 6500rpm and it did not change up .

It change up about 7500rpm in maunal mode.

Like everything? something work better in others. Maybe DSG doesn`t like turbo cars (not sure about diesel car and the turbo on that) but give it a nice V6 or non turbo cars where the power in constant with no turbo lag or flat spots maybe? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

This is one Question which may or may not give the DSG problem.
Sorry if I have offended anyone?

Well I've done 35,000 miles in my 6 month old 2WD TDi, and I'm bang on with JaminBen and Yak here.

I've driven both DSG and Quattro A3s, and yes the DSG is a great auto box which comes into play during all your driving. Most people really rate it for the daily grind, and some rate it for harder driving too.

But IMO Quattro is a basic necessity for anyone who wants more from their Audi than big wheels, a nice badge and classy interior. The added traction and balance available with even the basic Quattro system really makes a standard front wheel drive Audi rather lame in comparison. Whether this matters to you, only you can decide.

Admittedly, you may only use Quattro for 5% of your driving, but for some people its that 5% that makes it all worthwhile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

manual for me - heard about issues with DSG making it's own mind up on gear changes going up/down hills and that all seemed to be a bit frustrating. I figured the only thing that would be frustrating in a manual is the constant crawling through freaking London traffic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Turns out not really to be all that bad at all. Plus you can completely dial the rev counter as high as you like at any time. My wife has just started driving my car. She is highly enamoured of my old mates 2nd and 3rd. So much oomph to give.....

[ QUOTE ]
Well I've done 35,000 miles in my 6 month old 2WD TDi, and I'm bang on with JaminBen and Yak here.

I've driven both DSG and Quattro A3s, and yes the DSG is a great auto box which comes into play during all your driving. Most people really rate it for the daily grind, and some rate it for harder driving too.

But IMO Quattro is a basic necessity for anyone who wants more from their Audi than big wheels, a nice badge and classy interior. The added traction and balance available with even the basic Quattro system really makes a standard front wheel drive Audi rather lame in comparison. Whether this matters to you, only you can decide.

Admittedly, you may only use Quattro for 5% of your driving, but for some people its that 5% that makes it all worthwhile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all your replies, I think the one above sums up my feelings as well, I noticed some wheelspin or slip around a couple of corners which would only get worse if I drove it harder or it was wet.
I know what hp and 2WD are like as I also own a T5 with probably close to 300hp, that gets blown into the weeds at the slightest wiff of damp conditions, last week I could not keep up with a diesel toyota hatch driving school car!
My mate has an RS4 with about 425hp which just totally ignores wet roads, unbelievable the way it puts the power down, I will make my choice after Audi announce what the S3 will be

My DSG hacked me right off again this morning..
Man,I wish it was a private car as I could just sell the thing and get a manual.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I've always been a manual fan but DSG changed my mind. If you're in heavy trafic just put it into drive, if you find some nice roads the paddle shift is great.
2.0FSI DSG opensky Leather

Manual and spend the extra on nice upgrades ........

DSG is the way to go, try it, you'll never want a conventional manual again.

A3 Sportbanck Lava grey, 2.0t, DSG, Opensky, Venia leather

[ QUOTE ]
DSG is the way to go, try it, you'll never want a conventional manual again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooooh,what you gonna do if he,like me,doesn't like DSG...
Offer a refund ?

I'll look forward to your remittance in due course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

Life with my DSG - over the last month or so, im finding im using D and S more and more and not using the Manual changes.

If im in slow mode i use D and move from D and S depending on the trafic siuations.

S is just fantastic changing down from 100+ all the gear changes going down coming up to a roundabout are happening at 5000 RPM, sounds fantastic and its allways ready to go !

With the manual DSG i find im allways having to check on the dash to see what gear its in, fustrating sometimes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif