Xenon Range Control Fault ~ Scary

MrLapou

Reaction score
My 3+ yr car's got Xenon adaptive lights.
The xenon range control warning light flashed up intermittently twice today.
1st time it happened was about 3 weeks ago. Even after that, VCDS recorded no fault.

Yesterday, swapped the wheels around, front to back. This afternoon, lighting switch set to auto, range control warning flashed up after about 12miles on the road.
Switched off the engine will stationary at lights. Fault cleared only to come on again 2 miles later.

I'm guessing it's a loose connection issue.
Suggestions what to look for.
Any one got picks of the suspension sensor/s and or connectors?

Check the levelling sensors on front/rear passenger side axle.

Ideally needs a scan.

Okay took a scan..
Something else is crazy.. mileage reads +1million Km!

It says fault frequency 1 but it happened 2 times.
Which front sensor is 00496?

Address 55: Xenon Range Labels: 4F0-910-357.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 4L0 910 357 HW: 4L0 907 357
Component and/or Version: AFS 1 H01 0040
Software Coding: 0000028
Work Shop Code: WSC 06314 000 00000
Additional Info: 7L6941329B AFS-Modul links H03 S004 7L6941329B AFS-Modul rechtsH03 S004
VCID: E9D2A697C062431
1 Fault Found:

00496 - Sensor for Vehicle Leveling; Front
010 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101010
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 40
Mileage: 1048575 km
Time Indication: 0

When mine did this, they had to slightly move the connector box that sits behind the glove box, as it had moved and was pulling on the connecting wires, making this exact intermittent fault......may be worth a look ?

Ta for help lads.
I'll check it out at the weekend. Hopefully weather will be more sociable by then.

Well, its pointing to a sensor, the levelling controller as mentioned before should have plenty of slack, but feel free to check.

Have you lowered the car as sometimes sensors get ******** when messing with suspension.

Ta for the help.
Nope.. car's on standard suspension and tyres.
All that was done recently was to swap the wheels around.

Out and about today, warning light came on.
While under the car later in the day, seems only one sensor, on the front, in the nearside location
Connector was clean. Twiddled the ball joints and gave them a spray with silicone.

After checking retrofited cruise control (which worked 100%), no headlight warning light.
Time will tell, as this is an intermittent issue.

when your climb a hil your height of your headlights is adjusted by the car to compensate for loss of vision and to prevent getting in other road users eyes

Based on the ride height of the car i.e. laden with people/luggage or dipping due to road conditions, it automatically adjusts the beam height to keep it at optimum setting and stop dazzling oncoming drivers.

Warning light now permanently on. VCDS measuring block channel 002 reads 0.0 deg Front. -10.0 deg Rear, Voltage 4.6
When I took off the front sensor to give it a lube and workout, reading stuck at 54deg. Since then it's rest to 0.0 deg.

Headlight motors seem to adjust lights when initially switched on.

What you should do is remove the sensor from the axle & move it up & down & see if the MVB for that sensor changes readings, if not then it would indicate 1 of several things, wiring, sensor ******** or levelling controller faulty, so you need to research it properly to find the issue, I would remove the rear sensor aswell & swap round & manually test moving up/down, that should hopefully help with your analysis.

What you should do is remove the sensor from the axle & move it up & down & see if the MVB for that sensor changes readings, if not then it would indicate 1 of several things, wiring, sensor ******** or levelling controller faulty, so you need to research it properly to find the issue, I would remove the rear sensor aswell & swap round & manually test moving up/down, that should hopefully help with your analysis.
Sorry to hijack this post, NHN got your PM but can't reply until 15 posts I don't think so will reply as soon as I can! Thanks man!!

Thanks for the advice.
I did try that. Reading did not change. Plus wiggled the cable.
Cable looks ok, as are all wires connected under the connector's rubber boot.

I'm suspecting it's the sensor as this is the wheel which I found to be buckled a week or so ago. Which I'm sure the previous owner did.

So you've tested the rear sensor readings?

Have you plugged the rear sensor into the front connector to see if it shows readings then & vice versa, dont need to bolt it to the underside, just move manually whilst its loose.

No I have not done that.
But I shall follow your advice and do so later in the week and report back.

Got it sorted under a WarrantyWise Policy. Was tired of seeing the yellow warning icon on the DIS. Now lights have started to swivel again when cornering.

Used a local Audi indy, who I must say gave 5star service which IMHO beats a main dealer. Total came to £168 for the front sensor incl about 50mins labour.
I'm well happy to take my car there for any future work, which says a lot from fussy me.
Oh did I say they fitted the work in, within 3 days, compared to local Audi dealer's 2 weeks !!!

NHN, my VCDS pre-scan showed they did as you suggested with the sensor swap to see if it was sensor and or wiring.

Guys,

My audi a3 3.2 quattro had single stage xenons originally, still have the sensors on front and rear left wishbones, however since fitting facelift xenons, lights no longer go up and down + showing “range adjusment defective”

I guess a new module and sensors are required, is this correct?
Would the wiring also need changing or would orginal wiring suffice?
I’ve searched the forum but cannot find a definite answer specifically for pre fl xenon to fl bi xenon

Vcds shows:

01535 - control circuit for right headlight range adjusting motor (V49)
01534 - control circuit for left headlight range adjusting motor (V49)

Any help is much appreciated!
Kind regards

Yeah it does need newer module.

Are they adaptives as that also needs specific.

Reactions: Omy193
Yeah it does need newer module.

Are they adaptives as that also needs specific.
They’re not adapative, just normal.
Found a module on ebay from a 2010 audi s3 so will get that ordered

Will the sensors also need replacing or will old ones work?

Thanks again

Sensors are fine, make sure newer can gateway fitted.

You could take your chance with current gateway, maybe ok, but I've upgraded ones before due to comms issues, try 55 1st, then work from there.

You could take your chance with current gateway, maybe ok, but I've upgraded ones before due to comms issues, try 55 1st, then work from there.
Ok sound will give it a whirl. Can’t be harder than retrofittng a pan roof :tearsofjoy:

Just one final question to annoy you with sorry:
Location on xenon range controller + can gateway?

Gateway is behind glovebox, 55 is too the right of head unit above the left knee hidden away, use magnetic bit to get bolts as it's tricky.

Hi again @NHN

I’ve replaced the xenon range module but still got the errors:

01534 - Control Circuit for Left Headlight Range Adjusting Motor (V48): Open or Short to Plus

01535 - Control Circuit for Right Headlight Range Adjusting Motor (V49): Open or Short to Plus

Also I’ve noticed the coding on the new module says 0000013
Which is for cabriolet

When I try changing to 0000002 for AWD as mine is quattro it throws up: ‘Coding Rejected Error 31: Request out of range

I’ve also noticed in measuring blocks that it says Front sensor not installed.

However I have checked the sensor, unplugged it, plugged it back and all seems fine!
As I say this error only popped up after retrofitting facelift bi-xenons

Any thoughts as to why the coding is being rejected and also why its saying front sensor not installed?

c5685b67496856ac8609e707f5e3c9ec.jpg

94ea96a8531e34dedb2ea51a77076d1e.jpg

450c73133c73dddb77fb01c5b8142039.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread here but I have the same issue, so it made sense

I have retrofitted bixenons, got the range control module wired up, and the headlight motors do the up/down dance etc

The final job is the level sensors. I test wired the front one earlier, and no luck in the measuring blocks. I get the same 'Not Installed' as above. I see no way to 'enable' it. My rear sensor is also not installed, but that just gives a 0.0% reading (and also a fault code). There is no fault code from the front, as if it is not expecting to find one?

My module is 8P3 907 357 B

Sensor pin 1 is to module pin 12 (earth - confirmed it has continuity to earth with multimeter)
Sensor pin 2 is to module pin 25 (power - confirmed it gives ~5 volts with multimeter)
Sensor pin 3 is vacant
Sensor pin 4 is to module pin 6 (signal - need to test this one, it looks like it's just a potentiometer?)

Which year, which bixenons, part numbers needed.

It's actually a TT but there is more info in the A3 forum. It's 2007 with facelift bixenon with LED DRLs 8J0 941 029 AK and 8J0 941 004 AK

The module is 8P3 907 357 B (non-magride version)

The front level sensor I have is 8P3 907 357 B which has actual sensor part number 1T0 907 503

Hi guys, its one of them that is difficult to explain again :D.

So I have fitted my 09 facelift Audi A3 bixenon headlights (with led strip, non adaptive) and they work fine.

Now i have also been trying to do the auto levelling system too. So far have fitted the sensors and have done the wiring. at the moment I am using xenon range module (55) 8P3 907 357 (built 2006). I keep getting faults with steering angle sensor G85(which A3s 2009 dont have one?) and unable to do the headlight adjustment.
Also what should the coding be on 55? 0000003 or 0000001 ??
Also is there any other coding that needs to be done? maybe on 09 or 19?
If you require any more info or to be more specific please let me know

PS. on test mode lights do go up and down, when i clear faults it sounds like the lights are moving but then i get the "range control defective" straight away and they dont move.

PS2. Used Kufatec wiring loom which is rubbish! had to mend a few things myself but the wiring seems to be all good now! (with the help of elsa)
PS3. I am using OBD11 as I dont have VCDS but I hope thats not an issue.

Have you done the Basic Settings procedure? Not sure if that can be done in OBD11

Also you need to verify the levelling controller supports your headlights as their are different versions for varied years.

Have you done the Basic Settings procedure? Not sure if that can be done in OBD11
Hi, yes mate you can do it on OBD11 but it just says wait and doesnt do it meaning that something is not right.

Also you need to verify the levelling controller supports your headlights as their are different versions for varied years.
Damn.. how can i find the correct part numbers for my set up?

Headlights: 8P0 941 004 BF, 8P0 941 003AN
sensors fron and rear: 1K0 941274C, 1K0 941273M
xenon range module: 8P3 907 357 (no B in the end, built year 2006)

So.. anyone please guys know the correct part number for the levelling controller!? See above the info at the moment I have 3 controllers and none seems to be working!
8P3 907 357 (2009)
8P3 907 357 B
8P3 907 357 F (2006)

any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Do you definitely have the module wired to powertrain canbus and not another canbus? I am trying to think of reasons why so many modules don't work, and also the steering angle fault. If there was a steering angle fault, the PAS and ESP lights would be lit

So.. anyone please guys know the correct part number for the levelling controller!? See above the info at the moment I have 3 controllers and none seems to be working!
8P3 907 357 (2009)
8P3 907 357 B
8P3 907 357 F (2006)

any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
For the 2006 module do you mean 8P>0< 907 357 F ? As the 8P3 part isn't a valid part number. If so, it was fitted to the A3 between 2004-2007. It was superseded by G, H, J, L and M

8P3 907 357 was fitted between 2009-2013. It was superseded by A and B.

Therefore though all are probably compatible and it's not clear what the difference is, the B version is the latest revision and so I would stick with that for now, subject to my previous post regarding the canbus