(Yet Another) Airbag Light On - Code Inside

Rom

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So im buying an 04 TDi Sport 3dr that got traded in at work. Airbag light was on, work got the code read.

01218 - Side Airbag Igniter, Passenger Side (N200)
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - MIL ON
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - MIL ON

Now Ross Tech doesnt list Upper Limit, but i think it may be the same as Resistance Too High ?

Ive done a lot of searching, and found a thread saying Too High is normally the connector/wiring. And Too Low is normally a new Airbag.
Is that the general consensus ?

I checked the floor connector, which looks perfect. Unplugged and replugged. Had the seat out, couldnt see the second connector people mention ?
Wire ran from floor plug, through some flexi trunking, clipped to under seat, slightly larger black section (not large enough for a plug to be inside imo) Then loom goes off up into the seat back.
It then started to rain. Had a quick look at removing the rigid seat back cover, hows it held on ?
Does it even need to come off to access the next plug ?

Ive not got VCDS, so cant clear the code, but based on the appearance of the floor plug, im not confident it will clear anyway. So next hope will be the next plug if anyone can help me locate it.

Should it be the actual airbag unit. Any idea on prices ? Im an Audi newb, but id guess like most enthusiast groups, theres a online parts source somewhere ;)
Fitting isnt a problem. Should i try cutting out the seat (not floor) plug if reconnecting doesnt fix it. Or concede its the unit itself.

A guy at work has what i think is a free version of VCDS, and a third party cable. It wouldnt access my Airbag stuff, only does his engine codes.
Is this because the cable is mickey mouse ?
Id probably consider picking up VCDS myself at a later date, but dont have a laptop, so will add to the cost a bit.

Mucho Gracias!

You should put in your profile where you are as someone local may have vcds that could help more.

As for your issue then not too sure, I believe there is a connector halfway up the seat.

It has a connector inside the seat, removing back is a pita & you must be careful as you can easily bust the fixings, grasp at the top & slowly with some force prise it of by about 1-2 inches, then when its out that far, you have to reach inside with say a long screwdriver/torch & slide the spring clips to the sides to then be able to lift the back upwards & out as the bottom is hooked over the metal seat chassis with plastic lugs as such.

Great

Ill have a look at lunch today, hopefully see what its like. Maybe try soldering it.

Wont know if it works until i get hold of VCDS.

Dont add to much solder, as airbag systems can be a little touchy with increased resistance from solder.

Would you say try cable tying it first ?
Or just go straight to soldering it ?

It was secure, no obvious signs of fault, damage etc. Not having VCDS, is making me wonder if i should just solder it, as thats probably the best chance of fixing it. If it still comes on, has to be a new bag unit.

Would you say try cable tying it first ?
Or just go straight to soldering it ?

It was secure, no obvious signs of fault, damage etc. Not having VCDS, is making me wonder if i should just solder it, as thats probably the best chance of fixing it. If it still comes on, has to be a new bag unit.

Just shred some plastic and wrap the wires together temporarily 1st in order to test it, if that fixes it then perhaps solder or crimp.

Even if you fix it, you will have to delete the stored code in the airbag ECU for the MIL to go out.