Would I be mad to order a new S3 Sportback now?

The Cardinal

For the love of cars
Reaction score
My current S3 Sportback is nearly 2 years old now. It's everything I could want in a car and has a great spec, except I'd really love to have auto lights / wipers (or comfort package) and although the Brilliant Red paintwork is quite nice, I'd prefer subtler colour.

I'm really struggling to find anything that matches the current S3 SB as a package. The 335i Touring is close as a package, but is slightly larger than my wife would want and is at just the same stage in its model cycle as the S3. Ditto the Golf R, which also works out about 10% more expensive than an S3 overall.

Obviously the all-new 2013 A3 will be with us later this year, but I can't see a new S3 Sportback arriving for another 18+ months. The RS3 is a contender, but would cost me about £6k more over 2 years (depreciation, fuel etc).

Would I be mad to order a new S3 at this stage? Taking all factors into account, a new S3 would cost me about £3k more over the next 2 years than my current car (assuming I didn't retrofit auto lights / wipers to my current car).

the new cars are bound to have teething problems. I'd get one now then chop it in for the new version after they've gone wrong a bit first. :)

Go 4 it mate new s3 could b two years away

i had the same dilemma and looked around but eventually ordered from Hayley or Chris (spoke to Hayley then dealt with Chris)at Harrogate Audi, they had access to some stock cars so swapped within a couple of weeks at a price better than everyone i spoke to....