lowered on 19's - rubbing issues

harris9053

Reaction score
my car got lowered yesterday, i've got 235/35/19 tyres and my car was lowered on spax 45mm springs, it doesnt rub that much to be honest just when i hit the odd bump in the road the front will hit the arch, if i change the front tyres to 225/35/19 and leave the back tyres on (235/35/19) will these affect the handling?

It depends on the offset of your wheels (ET) as well as the width of the tyres. I have 19x8.5J wheels with an offset of ET50 with 225/35/19 tyres on. My car is lowered 25mm and I have absolutely no rubbing issues. If you have an offset of anything lower than ET48, your first port of call can be to remove the wheel arch screw (front wheel arch, where the liner meets the arch). It sits positionally at 12 o'clock. This may be all you need to do and failing that you will probably need to go down to 225/35/19's to sort out your rubbing issues. :wub: xx

Last edited:
i'll have to take the wheel off tomorrow and check the et, if i do need to change to 225/35/19 tyres can i change the front and leave my back as 235/35/19 or will this affect my handling?

also thanks for the comment paullie much appreciated :icon_thumright:

You're welcome, Harris. Not sure if it'd make any difference to the handling, swapping just the fronts for slightly lower profiles TBH. Hopefully someone will let you know for sure soon. If your car isn't a Quattro, then you'd probably be OK with it. :wub: xx

Which wheels do you have, Bud? We might be able to establish the ET for you if they are OEM. :wub: xx

225s front and 235 rears are fine. I ran the same tyres on my A3 lowered 45mm and didn't have any rubbing issues unless I had 5 people and a load of stuff in the car

Take the rear arch screws out as the guys suggested

okay cheers guys, i'll take the screws out aswell tomorrow, the wheels are rs4 reps so its gona be hard to judge the et

Hi pal. The only issue that you might come across is an abs warning light due to different rolling radius. You could always try and if you have an issue change the back as well.

It depends on the offset of your wheels (ET) as well as the width of the tyres. I have 19x8.5J wheels with an offset of ET50 with 225/35/19 tyres on. My car is lowered 25mm and I have absolutely no rubbing issues. If you have an offset of anything lower than ET48, your first port of call can be to remove the wheel arch screw (front wheel arch, where the liner meets the arch). It sits positionally at 12 o'clock. This may be all you need to do and failing that you will probably need to go down to 225/35/19's to sort out your rubbing issues. :wub: xx
i think my front arch screw needs to be binned mine catches all the time and mine is running 18's but quite low on 225's

:uhm: sorry to jack this thread mate but 1 quick question am fitting 50/40 eibach and am runing on 19x8j with 235.35.19s, will i have rub on the front? would i have to remove the screw?

what et would i be safe on? i will check in the morning if not am goin to find some new tyres in the morning then gives me someting to do :D

well my wheels are et45 and they fit nearly flush on the front and catch on bumps and when turning the wheel and hitting a bump mid corner but thats because its low lol

What about having a professional trim the inside of your arches (the felt lining, etc) to create more room in there?
This is quite a common thing to do here in Australia (never heard it suggested on this forum) and it really gives you more room inside the arches and eliminates rubbing.
It's completely not visible from the outside of the vehicle and someone who knows what they are doing won't mangle your wheel arches.

A lot people running 19's have this done as we need to run a 235 tyre because the load rating of 225s does not meet OEM levels which is a big no no for our insurance.

EasternS3 just had this done to fit his ET45 19x8.5 with 235s on and has eliminated all rubbing.
I'm about to get it done as I experience rubbing with my spacers and Bilsteins with a full load and with my 235 track wheel/tyre combo.

Much cheaper than changing tyres...

what et would i be safe on? i will check in the morning if not am goin to find some new tyres in the morning then gives me someting to do :D

Anything up to ET45 on the front is fine. You can run a lower ET on the rear if the wheels are staggered.

As the wheels are 8" wide a 225 or 215 is the best size

And get the arch screws out!

I've took the arch screw out and know fingers crossed theirs no rubbing, had a few test drives and everything seems okay, cheers for your help guys

Im having the same problem.. Ive got eibach 50/40 on rs4 reps 18''.. 225 on the front and 235 on the back.. Front seems to scrape really quite badly even on the slightest of bumps.. If i take the screws out will it then not just contact the arch and possibly bend the arch out?

Im having the same problem.. Ive got eibach 50/40 on rs4 reps 18''.. 225 on the front and 235 on the back.. Front seems to scrape really quite badly even on the slightest of bumps.. If i take the screws out will it then not just contact the arch and possibly bend the arch out?

No Dude, removing the front arch screws (one either side positioned at 12 o'clock) gives you a few vital more mm's clearance. You won't bend your arch out or cause other problems unless the offset of your rims is very aggressive indeed. What width/offset are your wheels? I had 18x8J with ET44 (225/40/18) and they rubbed front and back with the arch liner screws in and after remving them they didn't rub at all, though my car's only lowered 25mm. :wub: xx

well my wheels are et45 and they fit nearly flush on the front and catch on bumps and when turning the wheel and hitting a bump mid corner but thats because its low lol

just looking at you sig pic yours is low! how do you do it with a full car?

my wheels are et45.

No Dude, removing the front arch screws (one either side positioned at 12 o'clock) gives you a few vital more mm's clearance. You won't bend your arch out or cause other problems unless the offset of your rims is very aggressive indeed. What width/offset are your wheels? I had 18x8J with ET44 (225/40/18) and they rubbed front and back with the arch liner screws in and after remving them they didn't rub at all, though my car's only lowered 25mm. :wub: xx

Im not too sure what the ET is to be fair? i think they are ET45 but thats just an estimated guess:unsure: I will take the screws out and see how i get on! Can only help a suppose
:)