Shocks, springs and lowering...?

Qua3ttro

Reaction score
Hi all,

do the pre-facelift s-line models - the ones with the s-line exterior trim and slightly lowered suspension - come with different shock absorbers than the Sport or standard models? S-line suspension sits about 25mm lower than standard, I was told, so they must have lower/shorter springs fitted. But what about the shocks?

And on that note: if I plan to lower a pre-facelift sportback by 35mm (I see a lot of people use H&R springs), are the standard shocks capable of dealing with this? Or are you better off with the s-line shocks (if different than standard)? Or are either of these rubbish with a 35mm drop, and what would I be looking at in terms of replacement products and cost?

Thanks!

Thank you for answering, and although I appreciate your reply (don't get me wrong), I wonder how others - without a commercial interest - feel about this?

I think the S-line/ Sport dampers are the same part but I'm sure someone will confirm that .A 35mm drop is not massive, so as long as your dampers are in good (lowish mileage) condition they'll cope 'ok'. If your dampers are already old you'll find adding lowering springs may result in an ever increasing bumpy/bouncy ride. How many miles have you shocks done?

A matched aftermarket shock and spring combo will always ride & perform better.

On another note, I have been running JOM (budget) coilovers for a year & 10k miles now on my A3, and would recommend them over just lowering springs every time unless you dont care for having adjustable height.

As Tim says, the Sport and S-line shocks are the same, and are even fine with a 50mm drop.
But yeah, a matched spring and shock set (like Bilstein B12 kit if you want to go 50mm, or something like Eibach pro springs matched with Koni FSD shocks if you want to go 30mm) will give you the best ride.
But saying that, I'm running a 50mm drop with standard sport shocks which have covered 50k miles and my ride is not at all bouncy.

If I were to go for coilovers they wouldn't be budget ones (I've heard toooo many knocking/banging stories about these), but to be honest I wouldn't go for coilovers at all unless I really wanted adjustability, then they are the perfect option.
Research your springs properly and you'll know what to expect when they are on your car, avoiding the disappointment some people get when it doesn't match their expectation.

I had the s line suspension and when I lowered it it was with H&R Sport springs, I believe they are 35mm, matched them with KONI FSDs. The springs are stiffer than stock but the FSDs are softer than stock so you get a good ride still. The stock shocks will work for a while. But they are not designed to be ran under that kind of compression.

Personally I would upgrade. Either the Koni FSDs or even the Yellow which you can adjust.

The stock shocks will work for a while. But they are not designed to be ran under that kind of compression.

Apparently that^^^ is a bit of a myth.

As long as your shocks aren't bottoming out then they are fine at any level of compression. They are designed to work at any point of the piston's length.
It's the "bouncy'ness" of the new spring that is the problem. i.e. if the shocks are being made to work harder because your car is now jumping about all over the place then this will make them wear quicker.
But just being lower will not cause excessive wear because they are designed to work at their entire piston length.

Source: Guys I know, who are in the know.