3.2 v VXR

Reaction score
I see loads of these threads pop up in the 8l section and they're always a good read, so thought I'd start one here.
On Tuesday I had to pop to Maidstone Audi, and get robbed for a wheel nut key. On my way I see a nice shiny Arden blue Astra vxr, and I start to wonder how fast they are in the flesh. He didn't see me coming, so I nipped around him coming up to a roundabout. This seemed to upset him a little! So as we come off the roundabout onto the private motorway slip road, we both floored it. From 30-80 I pulled out about a 4 car lead then it seemed to even out, but he couldn't catch me. It was then I realised that I wasn't on the back straight at brands and 120 was a bit too fast for taking the next junction, so I slowed down and took my junction. His face was a picture. I know on paper they have similar figures, but being 8 years old now I thought my A3 might have lost some power. Well the old girl done me proud, Audi V6 1-0 pauxhall! :racer:

Took the pants down on a White Nürburgring Astra VXR in my old sprint blue S3 stage 1 earlier this year, He also looked very upset... ;)

If there is 2 cars that I like to embarass it's a vauxhall or the (new) mini cooper S. for some reason I have developed a hatred for them!

Reactions: S3DUST
Mines a focus st next up, I like a challenge. I wouldn't mind a standard r32 either, just as a comparison. The only thing is, if I was found wanting I'd be on the hunt for more power. And in the v6 that comes at a price.

ST's make me chuckle! :) I just imagine them sat there in their horrible interior. I don't like fords at all!

Reactions: RedDejavu
That's why we drive audis mate. If we wanted cheap and cheerful we'd have focus's with halfords bolt ons and be on the std owners club forum. The way I see it is you only get an st cos you can't afford an RS.

Funnily enough, it's the A3 3.2s that I like embarrassing the most. They sit there with all their CCs and think they rule the road but I always find it pretty easy to pull away from them in a rolling dash.
From a red light, with their quattro, they mostly manage to do me though.

The Mini Cooper S is the other car I take great pleasure in leaving behind. They are tricky little buggers though.

That's why we drive audis mate. If we wanted cheap and cheerful we'd have focus's with halfords bolt ons and be on the std owners club forum. The way I see it is you only get an st cos you can't afford an RS.

bit harsh re the RS that pal, halfords bolt ons lol Ill happily give you a challenge if you want! ;)

bit harsh re the RS that pal, halfords bolt ons lol Ill happily give you a challenge if you want! ;)
Dont get me wrong, I'd love an RS. I just think the st is just a budget version. Bit like the S3 and the 2.0 Tfsi. :undwech:
Only kidding ads I love all Audi. I'll give you a pm when I've saved up for the turbo conversion. Lol.

Dont get me wrong, I'd love an RS. I just think the st is just a budget version. Bit like the S3 and the 2.0 Tfsi. :undwech:
Only kidding ads I love all Audi. I'll give you a pm when I've saved up for the turbo conversion. Lol.

:laugh:

Because of your comment I'm going to hunt out a 3.2 on the way home and annihilate it. And its all your fault.

I just hope its not from standstill. And not in the rain. And that we don't have to go around any bends. :unsure:

Reactions: OVRA3
a mapped astra vxr would pull away,my 3.2 sat with a mates E46 M3 , absolutely nothing in it on acceleration up to about 140 ,mine is stage 2 though with decats etc,runs 13.6 @104 quarter mile

I dare say I would've been further ahead from a standstill, but it was a nice sunny day and a rolling start in a straight line. Am I the only one on this forum who's car is still standard? I need to get to work!

I had a go with a vxr with a straight through that was making loadsa noise a while back.. Pulled up next to him at red lights on dual carriageway, smoked him with the launch control, and the stronic was just embarrassing him with the gear changes! His car was absolutely drowning mine out, but I gradually rolled away from him.. I've seen him a few times locally, and he keeps on trying, bless his cotton sox:)

I dare say I would've been further ahead from a standstill, but it was a nice sunny day and a rolling start in a straight line. Am I the only one on this forum who's car is still standard? I need to get to work!
Nope me too ATM :ninja:

I had a go with a vxr with a straight through that was making loadsa noise a while back.. Pulled up next to him at red lights on dual carriageway, smoked him with the launch control, and the stronic was just embarrassing him with the gear changes! His car was absolutely drowning mine out, but I gradually rolled away from him.. I've seen him a few times locally, and he keeps on trying, bless his cotton sox:)
Havent you got an RS3 on order?

Standard Vxr would be close but a propper stage 1.5 or above would take of like a cat with a banger up it hoop.

Just sold my stage two Vxr an it was a weapon 30 rolling starts an not much kept pace just a shame about there build qquality the week before selling put the car to the test against a 340fq Evo 8 an the Vxr blitz it. So much so that my mate is now 4gran down heading for the 400 club

VXRs are nothing but a snack for an S3, especially a mapped one. Last scalp I took was sitting on the bumper of an RS as it tried to make progress along a twisty road. Even when he hit traffic and he had a head-start on overtakes, he couldn't shake me. There was a decent straight, into a dip so excellent view of oncoming lane, so I pulled along side him and he tried to block me overtaking. Didn't work - VAG 1-0 HalFord

The 5-pot did sound pretty amazing though.

Lol at the bias opinions on an Audi forum , I'm sure you will find a complete difference of opinion over o. Vxronline , my 3.2 is tuned ( stage 2 decatted etc) and I have played with a mapped S3 and left him and I know my Audi ain't fast , I have played with a stage 2 Astra vxr and he pulled away slightly , off the line the Quattro obviously has the advantage but I know Astra VXR s have good pace

These road racing threads always make me both smile and shake my head.

That's all.

Reactions: The Cardinal
I tried it on with a Mclaren NPC-12-4c or what ever its called the other day......

I want one

Thats all :)

They build the MP412C right near my house, I saw one proper toying with a Gallardo, thats the first time i've ever seen one booting it! You could see how easily the Mclaren would do it because of the way it was right up it's *** tapping the brakes.

They build the MP412C right near my house, I saw one proper toying with a Gallardo, thats the first time i've ever seen one booting it! You could see how easily the Mclaren would do it because of the way it was right up it's *** tapping the brakes.

I was the one driving the mclaren.
:rock:

when it brakes its air brake comes up, i had him doing alot of that..... didnt think he liked me being so close to his 150k car..... it was pouring with rain so had to be close to see him!

NPC MCLAREN - YouTube

A very wobbly video of the girlfriend trying to film it......... WEATHER=BAD! CAMERA WOMAN....=EVEN WORSE :sadlike:

Filmed somewhere deep in europe where we all know speed limits sometimes do not exist.......so dont lecture me about speed limits...

Wasnt even that fast anyway!

thankyou!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has turned into the pure willy waving one upmanship that I expected. It proves nothing, but makes for a good read when you're bored. :beerchug:

This thread has turned into the pure willy waving one upmanship that I expected. It proves nothing, but makes for a good read when you're bored. :beerchug:

Must admit Paul, it has been entertaining reading. :)

Yep..:yes: Gonna have to fiddle with it a little bit thoughits begging to be mapped! Ive just got back from Audi now... Can't stop drooling over the r8GT they've still got sitting there:drool: wonder if that'd beat a vauxhall vxr?!

Only if it's Quattro! Remapped rs3, and you know it won't stop there. Congratulations. Can't wait to see it.

Lol at the bias opinions on an Audi forum , I'm sure you will find a complete difference of opinion over o. Vxronline , my 3.2 is tuned ( stage 2 decatted etc) and I have played with a mapped S3 and left him and I know my Audi ain't fast , I have played with a stage 2 Astra vxr and he pulled away slightly , off the line the Quattro obviously has the advantage but I know Astra VXR s have good pace

Oki...to keep it an all Audi Bias.....S3 or RS4 Avant (b7)? I know the answer:racer: LOL

I know it's sacrilege, but I'm a saloon man. Wouldn't say no to an avant and the matt black looks mean. But I've always preferred smaller cars. I'd love RS4 arches on the back of my A3.

I know it's sacrilege, but I'm a saloon man. Wouldn't say no to an avant and the matt black looks mean. But I've always preferred smaller cars. I'd love RS4 arches on the back of my A3.

Sprint Blue, it did have a lovely stance with those wide arches and sounded beautiful (the engine not the bad tunes from the stereo) just shocked that it wasn't proper quick, I mean roadrunner meep meep gone

Just for the record, before my S3 I owned a Focus ST3 (from new so the RS mk2 was not available) which was mapped to 271bhp with 440NM and I have to say there is not really a lot in it between my stage 1 S3 and the ST.
As for the cheap interior it came with Recaros as standard, dual zone as standard, 6 cd Sony HU as standard as well as a few other bits and bobs. The build quality was just as good as the S3 (if not better in some places) and the only reason that I changed cars was because of the release of the RS mk2 (I had to choose between the RS and the S3).
In terms of if being the budget performance Ford then do not forget that before the RS was released the ST was the flagship performance Ford!
One final thing, the 3.2 A3 is nice but lets be honest it is still just an A3 and NOT an S3 (note the letter S :rockwoot:)