Strange warning light behavior!

mikeyc_123

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue as I have.

A few months back the turbo started failing. The car would become sluggish when coming out of roundabouts and the turbo would fail if I gave it too much hard driving when the car was cold. So I don’t do that now and I am now saving for a new turbo from Audi at a stupid £1000.

Now I have noticed that when I start the car the warning lights (engine, traction control, steering etc.) take a long time to go out (about 15 seconds) when I start the car. Even the park (handbrake) light was taking a long time! I thought it might be the new battery failing that I put in the car about 3 months back so changed the battery and the problem is still there. The car has also started to rough idle too. It has not long had a full service. It’s a 2004 A3 2.0 TDI 140bhp.

If by any remote chance anyone else has had the same issue?

Thanks

Mike

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue as I have.

A few months back the turbo started failing. The car would become sluggish when coming out of roundabouts and the turbo would fail if I gave it too much hard driving when the car was cold. So I don’t do that now and I am now saving for a new turbo from Audi at a stupid £1000.

Now I have noticed that when I start the car the warning lights (engine, traction control, steering etc.) take a long time to go out (about 15 seconds) when I start the car. Even the park (handbrake) light was taking a long time! I thought it might be the new battery failing that I put in the car about 3 months back so changed the battery and the problem is still there. The car has also started to rough idle too. It has not long had a full service. It’s a 2004 A3 2.0 TDI 140bhp.

If by any remote chance anyone else has had the same issue?

Thanks

Mike

Don't know about the warning light problems Mike but just thought you might like to know that you can get a re-furbished turbo fully fitted for less than £700. I would have thought that for a 2004 model that would be perfectly adequate.

Don't know about the warning light problems Mike but just thought you might like to know that you can get a re-furbished turbo fully fitted for less than £700. I would have thought that for a 2004 model that would be perfectly adequate.

I thought that it may be better to get a new one with a decent warranty on it. For a few quid more it might be worth it in the long one. Just need to find a decent garage in Milton keynes now that will not rip me off for the diagnosis!

I thought that it may be better to get a new one with a decent warranty on it. For a few quid more it might be worth it in the long one. Just need to find a decent garage in Milton keynes now that will not rip me off for the diagnosis!

I had a recon fitted last year to my 2006 sportback, guaranteed 2 years, for £695 all-in. Car had done 75k.

Why not see if NHN (forum member) can help with scan. He is based down south.

Mike I replied to this I'm sure already, I need to check my posts as I swear I replied to yesterday.

Reactions: mikeyc_123
Try Indie tech in Milton keynes

Thats where I had the service done. They quoted about £700 to have the turbo changed but someone I work with had the same issue and the turbo failed just after 2 years again... and that made me think about having a non-refurb part.

I am really fed up at the moment as so many things are going wrong with the car. First the turbo, then the rough idle, then the issue with the engine check lights!! I know its an old car being a 04 plate but its only done just over 50k and I am really thinking about chopping her in for another BMW as i never had anything like this and it was a 2001 330ci convertible and did 99,00 miles!!

Thanks to everyone for your comments and help with this. I just hope I can get the car back up and running to a normal state soon.