Badger5EM Tuning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook

RNS-E and FBMFSW into 8P2 S3

Seeing as I wasnt too busy I thought I would have a go at fitting the RNSE unit I got from Blackie into my S3. Now I am technically minded (stripping a £20 million jet fighter is a doddle) but whoever reckons they can fit an RNSE unit in about 10 mins is talking utter b****x. I removed my old unit and had a look at the connector at the back as I have a quadlock adaptor so the RNSE can be fitted......1st stubling block......how the hell do the blue blanking plates come out of the plug as I could only get one out and trying to figure out how the quadlock fits baffles me. There is no way that my quadlock can fit the old plug......physically impossible. The new antenna connector has no where to connect to as the old one is a double and the new one is a single. Do I have to split it.Trying to feel the routing of the cables is nigh on impossible as I have to remove the glovebox aswell IF I have to get to the end of them so after much faffing around the S3 is back to normal and Im severley hacked off and about to sell the RNSE and FBMFSW if I cant find any descent guide on how to fit the bloody thing. Iam grateful for those that have commented on how to fit RNSE's but when I look at something and know its impossible.....i.e square shape thro round hole then I become totally NFI. Retro-fitting guides for RNSE and FBFMFSW should be a sticky and easy to find. If there are ones then I aplogise but after 15 mins searching without success is a little annoying.

So question is..........anyone want to assist me in fitting said unit. 20 mins outside Edinburgh.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

2. # ADS
    ADS

Gievf Buckets

Status
    1 either give nige (NHN) a shout he is gathering a list of scots for some work i suspect you dont quite have the right leads to hand grab some photos of what you have an i can decipher it, it literally is a minute job if you have the right stuff to hand

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

Status

My Social Networking

I pm'd Nige 2 weeks and he is trying to get some more work up this end of the country so I dont know the outcome yet.. I wanted to see if I could have a go at fitting it and coding it after reading the multitude of posts on the forum about it.....seemed relatively easy.......yeah right. I will try and get pics up of the stuff I have bought. I've got the quadlock adaptor, single radio connector (old connector had 2) and GPS connector.

Am I missing something or have I bought wrong connectors.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

Neutral

Status
    It took me approximately 35 seconds to fit my RNSE, thankfully the cables were already sorted to fit in. I presume you need a loom to go from your harness to the RNSE and the adapter for the aerial? Iv got the harness and aerial adapter sitting at home that i bought for the job which i didn't end up needing, was about £45 from Kufatec. Il send it for £25 or something if you like, its no use to me now

5th Gear

Status
    I did this myself few weeks ago and is very straight forward, my s3 is also 08 and I had symphony cd player before hand, once it's disconnected the aerial it just plugs straight onto the rnse one as they are the same fit ment, the quad lock also just plugs straight into the rnse and it's they simple, no need for anything extra, only thing is if you have Bose just need to move it from pin 5 to 7 in the blue plug, that just pops out the quad. Then I sat my gps antenna behind my clocks. Code it in and done. There is a thread on here from warren I will find it for you
    Current
    2006 56 A3 S Line 2.0 TFSI Special Edition Moro Blue

previous
    2007 A3 S Line 2.0 TDI 170 S-tronic phantom black
    2006 VW Golf Gti Black
    2008 S3 Dolphin Grey
    2007 A3 S Line 2.0 TFSI S-Tronic Ibis White
    2005 A3 S Line 2.0 TDI S-tronic Brilliant Red

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by a3_sline_tdi View Post
    I did this myself few weeks ago and is very straight forward, my s3 is also 08 and I had symphony cd player before hand, once it's disconnected the aerial it just plugs straight onto the rnse one as they are the same fit ment, the quad lock also just plugs straight into the rnse and it's they simple, no need for anything extra, only thing is if you have Bose just need to move it from pin 5 to 7 in the blue plug, that just pops out the quad. Then I sat my gps antenna behind my clocks. Code it in and done. There is a thread on here from warren I will find it for you
    Sorry to hijack the thread but whats a "Through load" thats mentioned in your sig?

5th Gear

Status
    Here is the thread very helpful symphony to rnse
    2007 S3(8P): Symphony II+ to RNS-E conversion
    Current

previous
    2006 VW Golf Gti Black
    2008 S3 Dolphin Grey

5th Gear

Status
    Through load is the armrest in middle of back seats and also folds all the way down its mainly for skis ect.
    Current

previous
    2006 VW Golf Gti Black
    2008 S3 Dolphin Grey

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by a3_sline_tdi View Post
    Through load is the armrest in middle of back seats and also folds all the way down its mainly for skis ect.
    Ah i see, thanks

Status

My Social Networking

Right then this is what I got with the RNSE unit

If this isnt what I need then I will take the 2 off you Quinnii. Just let me know paypal details.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    Right then this is what I got with the RNSE unit

If this isnt what I need then I will take the 2 off you Quinnii. Just let me know paypal details.
    Just two mins and il check the cable iv got, its the Bose cable aswell so it should work although it looks very similar to what you've got there

Neutral

Status
    The cable i have is exactly the same as the one you have, i just ditched it and put the quad lock already in the car straight into the back of the rnse, Is it a quad lock that was in your old head unit?

Neutral

Status
    Also the blue bits in the quad lock are supposed to be there, they don't come out. The pins fit either side of the blue cap

Gievf Buckets

Status
    you need to show what you haad so we can decipher it for you

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods

Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

Status

My Social Networking

It is a standard symphony quadlock thats fitted just now. I dont understand why the blue plates dont have to be removed as they will butt up against a row of connectors if there not.

Status

My Social Networking

Just popped out and took a piccie of the back of the symphony unit.

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    Think I know the problem...

Your 08 S3 already has the quadlock connector wiring so the quadlock adapter you got with the RNS-E, unplug it all and chuck it.. you dont need it. The wiring from your 2008 S3 will be plug&play into the back of the RNs-E.

If you have Bose or Aux you'll need to relocate some pins also, check the pin-out diagrams on the back of the stereo's and using a paperclip you can easily move the wires to the correct locations.

Give me a ring if you're confused and I'll walk you through it, my numbers on my website in my signature.

Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro

5th Gear

Status
    You already have quad adapter that just plugs straight into back I the rnse and so does the aerial, and plug in gps antenna job done, unless you have Bose then move the brown wire in ye blue plug from pin 5 to pin 7.
    Current

previous
    2006 VW Golf Gti Black
    2008 S3 Dolphin Grey

Gievf Buckets

Status
    ahh you dont need an adapter then, should justbe a case of plugging your quadlock in and the antennas

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Mods

Status

My Social Networking

Cheers for the info guys. Was really confused for a moment, but no need for the new quadlock...oh well. Gonna pop out and do it now. Will keep you all posted

Status
    Come on Phil, you shouldve picked up on that straight away

Neutral

Status
    The contacts should be either side of where the blue piece is, you can see them if you look carefully

Status

My Social Networking

RNSE unit fitted with brilliant radio reception which I didnt really get with the Symphony. Will properly mount the GPS aerial 2 moz......spot on everyone. Thanks

Neutral

Status
    Guys when I installed my rnse I didn't have to move any wires in the quad lock for my Bose, are there some factory quad locks that don't need this wire to be moved?

5th Gear

Status
    Yes they all need to be moved, sounds system still works but doesn't sound as good and throws errors up on vag com so will deffo need moving
    Current

previous
    2006 VW Golf Gti Black
    2008 S3 Dolphin Grey

Gievf Buckets

Status
    had buckets on my mind mate

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Mods

2nd Gear

Status
    I've got a Concert head unit, is it easy to fit an RNSE to that?

Status

My Social Networking

Right guys.....cheers for all the info. I have located the GPS antenna on top of the glovebox. Now I have tried to code it but dont know if I did it right. Can anyone pop the coding on here. 8P2 S3 without MFSW (to be fitted)

Tried these but cant find some.

1) S3 entry screen (Module 56 - Channel 18 - Option 1)

2) Setting the tyre size: 225/40/18 summer tyre (Module 56 - Channel 10 - 1943)

3) Setting up the bose sound system characteristics (Module 56 - Function 7 - Sound characteristics - Option 5)

4) GALA Bose (microphone) (Module 56 - Channel 8 - Option 255)

I think the code is 0209751

If any more info needed then just let me know.
    Last edited by Brodster; 10th April 2012 at 18:17.

Status

My Social Networking

Just taken the car for a wee spin and found that the RNSE doesnt switch off when the ignition is switched off. Will this be sorted when the car is coded for the RNSE unit.

Status
    Just taken the car for a wee spin and found that the RNSE doesnt switch off when the ignition is switched off. Will this be sorted when the car is coded for the RNSE unit.
    Yup, unit turns off via CAN iirc so needs to be coded for CAN.

Status

My Social Networking

Im struggling to code it.........any ideas. Bluetooth but no MFSW

Neutral

Status
    Im struggling to code it.........any ideas. Bluetooth but no MFSW
    Im going out to have a look at my coding now mate, il let you know how i get on and see if i can help you through it.

Are you sure it doesn't turn off? e.g. does the screen stay on or is it just the fan that stays on?

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Silly question maybe, you say it does not turn off when you turn the ignition off, but what about when you take the key out of the ignition?
    Mine and others I have seen will stay on only when ignition is turned off but will shut down completely when you take the key out.
    VCDS Owner-North London/Enfield
    " To Cruise Is What I Do"

Status

My Social Networking

When ignition turned off and keys out the unit stays on. If you switch it off via the button you can hear the fan still whirring away. Dunno if its supposed to do this just to cool the unit down for a determined amount of time???????

If and when I can code it right then I will see if it switches off properly with the ignition as I havent coded the car yet.

Neutral

Status
    Right iv just been out and ran through the coding you put up, I had already done most of it with the exception of the Bose autopilot (gala) not a fan of this but iv activated it anyway. Can you talk me through how your trying to code it and I can tell you where your going wrong. The only code which didn't work for me is the s3 entry screen, not sure what this is supposed to do but my rnse woudnt accept any value higher than 0 for this, perhaps someone could clarify what it is supposed to do

3rd Gear

Status
    Have you done a reset of the Rns ?

You need to hold the 2 outside buttons in the bottom row until it reboots

5th Gear

Status
    If your sw version isn't 0650 on mk 1 rnse then you will not be able to have s3 rnse on start up that's why you can't set a value higher than 0 so you will need a software update.
    Current

previous
    2006 VW Golf Gti Black
    2008 S3 Dolphin Grey

Neutral

Status
    It's a mk2 rnse with the gloss black bezel and silver knobs, would it still require a software update?

5th Gear

Status
    No it wouldn't then, I currently have mk2 rnse and codes my s3 start up fine, are you going to the right Channel? Should just be able to change value to 1 then go to channel 111 and click test and it will reboot itself and should be done.
    Current

previous
    2006 VW Golf Gti Black
    2008 S3 Dolphin Grey

Neutral

Status
    Il double check in the morning, might not have coded correctly as it was a bit hit and miss when I was doing it, it kept on saying the channel wasn't available then it would be for a second and so on

I didn't do the reset also, il give that a try.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast