Total clutch failure @ 8,500 miles

JaminBen

Reaction score
While in England last week, coming to a roundabout, went from 4th to 3rd and then when going from 3rd to 2nd, couldn't engage the lever.

Clutch pedal stayed on the floor (!!!). Brought it up by hand, ground the selector to 1st (and with foot on pedal, car still shuddered forwards). Got under way, had to very physically shove the selector into gears, pulled into a parking lot and called Audi Assist.

This, of course, was friday the 13th, at 7pm or so, out in the country.

Short story: Audi got me a courtesy car until the following wedenesday when my car was fixed. It took a complete clutch kit, including throwout bearing&piston.

I can't believe the difference it has made: my selector is now buttery-smooth, whereas previously clutch-release was grabby.

Bigest downfall to all of this is that I couldn't go to the 'ring sunday and monday, as planned.

Anyone else have clutch problems?

JB, you've knocked up some miles in just 2 months or so!!

But sorry to hear about your clutch, does seem rather poor to only last this long too.

being with Ben in the car when that happened I can say that was some scary moment, and even more as we were approaching the round about rather quickly..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

hey you must be the guy from AMD on the friday. (i just had the nogaro blue s3 chipped)

the guys at AMD thought you had been out and thrashed the car soo much you had burnt the clutch out!!??

did audi not notce the remap then when they carried the work out?

Seems low liles for a clutch, did they find any reason the clutch had failed when they repaired it?

Jedi, that was you with the blue noggy!?! Shame we didn't get to talk more, but I was so freakin' furious with the clutch failure that I could hardly utter anything other than obscenities /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif In any case, thank you very much for having set up the GB.

I believe my clutch was faulty since day one: symptoms were a grabbing clutch when pushing the pedal in. It was as though it never fully released. imho, the "throwout bearing" was at fault. On the 3.2 (don't know about others), the slave cylinder is right behind the T/O bearing, where it can be harmed by excessive heat...

In any case, when I went for my 4-3 downshift, no problem, but then from 3 to 2, no go. I saw the clutch and it had indeed eaten up quite a bit of material. That could be explained by the clutch not releasing fully and therefore slipping a little upon each clutch release.

A whole new Pressure Plate, T/O bearing and plate were installed, and the clutch now fully releases.

The Audi dealership did not notice anything unusual with my car.

Shame about the 'ring, real shame. But perhaps I wasn't quite ready for it yet? (sh*t, I'm getting superstitious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

ha yeah that was me. was a ****** long day so i wasnt in the most talkative mood either.

no worry about the group buy. glad it helped out so many people.

Man that clutch smelt so bad!! i was in the waiting area with Ed just paying and the smell whafted through!

did you get your air filter and miltek exhaust sorted in the end?

indeed it was friday 13th.. luckily mine went without a hitch but you had so many things go wrong!!

My A4's clutch was on the way out at 36000 miles.
It was never the same after I mistakingly tried to pull away in fourth one day,rather than second,when the car was newish.
The clutch just gave way and slipped like a Charlie Chaplin on a banana.
For the following 30000 miles or so it lost all it's feel and started to judder in heavy traffic.
The dealer said there was nothing wrong,but there clearly was.

Okay,the problem was as a result of 'owner cockup' but I still felt the clutch was inherently 'weak',certainly up against the torque of the tdi engine.