Incorrect Speedo Reading

I

imported_Spin140

I am a subscriber to Auto-Express, they highlighted an issue with the A3 over indicating on the speedo therefore recording too many miles, a reader wrote in after buying a Road angel and noticing a 6 mph difference (indicated 84mph on Speedo - actual 78mph) this was tested and proven to be the case so the owner was compensated.
In this weeks issue another A3 owner had the same issue and has since been compensated by their dealer for 6,000 miles they have not covered! The owner recieved an extra years warranty plus £200 in servive vouchers - the fault on this car was traced to 'incorrect wheel settings on the cars computer'.

Just wondering how many more of us may be affected ?

Any of you guys out there with a GPS device noticed a significant difference ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why people are surprised at this,or why they're making such a fuss about it.

They're allowed to be 10% out,simple as that.

I'm surprised Audi have 'paid out' on this,to be honest.

It can only be goodwill as the law is on their side.

It's splitting hairs beyond the pale to seek compensation for it.

Even if you do 100K miles and the speedo is at it's maximum 10% allowance,you're only being 'diddled' out of 10000 miles.
What would be the difference in value between a 100K mile car and a 90K mile car ????

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point when you look at the figures, guess I'm always looking for an opportunity to get something out of the dealers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why people are surprised at this,or why they're making such a fuss about it.

They're allowed to be 10% out,simple as that.

I'm surprised Audi have 'paid out' on this,to be honest.

It can only be goodwill as the law is on their side.

It's splitting hairs beyond the pale to seek compensation for it.

Even if you do 100K miles and the speedo is at it's maximum 10% allowance,you're only being 'diddled' out of 10000 miles.
What would be the difference in value between a 100K mile car and a 90K mile car ????

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point when you look at the figures, guess I'm always looking for an opportunity to get something out of the dealers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides, just because the speedo is reading over, which it has to by law does not mean the Odometer is incorrect. I would imagine the mileage to be pretty accurate <2% out.

The +10% -0% permissble error is historic. There is no reason with todays technology for such a large tolerence in the speedo reading.

I too have an issue with the speedo reading more than my Road Angel and at 70mph it is very close to +10%. Whilst this may be within legal limis set down decades ago, I for one feel this is unacceptable and intend to take up the issue with Audi UK - the dealer here in Cambridge said they would look into it when it had its 1st service and promply forgot.

Whilst I agree that the figures (10k over mileage in 100k) are not hugely worrying regarding resale value, the other issues such as calculated mpg and service intervals contribute to the cost of the error.

I know this is an old thread, but has someone figured out how to address the issue of under reading ?
Doing 180 kmh and showing 169 on GPS is a huge error.
My Tyre size and stock Mags are same as the Manual says.
Can't VCDS or any other gadget bring the indication closer to GPS speeds ?

I have noticed this and posted a tread about it when a bought my a3. I was driving at 70 and never made it out of the first lane and was constantly been over taken.

Speado reads 70 and gps reads 62. Dont mind a few miles difference but i think thats quite a lot. Would like to know if VCDs can sort it.

Ancient thread. According to my GPS, my 08 A3 is more accurate than my previous 55 Golf which read 80 when you were actually doing 73mph.

Don't see the point in getting worked up about it. If you have a GPS and a brain you can quickly work out what your margin of error is.

Reading in my DIS display will read about 2mph higher than that on Android Torque app linked to the ECU.
No idea why that is.

To be clear, the car knows exactly what speed its going. But the speedo will always read higher.

If you had the high end climate control in a Golf mk5, you could apply a mod via VCDS that would give the true road speed on the aircon display. What was apparent was that the car knew the real speed but the speedo was setup to register higher.

Since an A3 and Golf are essentially the same cars in many respects, I expect the setup is exactly the same.