Chris NottBadger5
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SR-71

Thread: Surprise finding with the RNS-E ! Neat little trick!

  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16

    Surprise finding with the RNS-E ! Neat little trick!

    I was thinking the other day why some people's screens start up on sat-nav, some on radio etc. and from a previous thread found out that there's no way to change it. So I was fiddling with the RNS-E the other day and found that there is a way (and apologies if most ppl know this or if it's in the manual, but I couldn't find it there).

    Basically if you want to start up the system on maps, hold down the maps button (bottom right) whilst switching off the whole system. On switching on the system now it should start up on maps. Same thing with Radio. I get really annoyed when I always have to press the Memory button to start up on my favourites. Hold down the memory button whilst holding down the on/off switch. Then when you next start the car it should start the RNS-E in this position. Neat little trick huh? So glad I found it as I was getting quite p*d off that my system was always starting up on the Navigation input screen.
    Jay.Ing likes this.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Kelza's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,538
    Hi mate you should try this with the volume button ,to see if you turn it down it stays like that on start up ...

  4. #3
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    16
    Good idea! That auto-volume thing (and hiss) is driving me so mad I wanna sell the car and go back to BMW! lol

    Quote Originally Posted by s3kel View Post
    Hi mate you should try this with the volume button ,to see if you turn it down it stays like that on start up ...

  5. #4
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7
    I dont have RNS-E, but on my Chorus the volume does start up at a pre-set level and I cant make this lower than about 1/5th of the scale or mute. Also, when I turn on the headlamps to sidelights after starting up the car, the radio makes a buzzy / hissing sound for a couple of seconds.

    SR, Is this what you get in your car? It would be nice to know if I've got a stereo issues or whether I'm not alone!


    (Hope this isn't a thread hi-jack, but I haven't seen the issues mentioned before and I didn't think it worthwhile to start a specific thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
    Good idea! That auto-volume thing (and hiss) is driving me so mad I wanna sell the car and go back to BMW! lol

  6. #5
    Kelza's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,538
    Hi i will find the thread about the hiss ,and how to get rib of it ,but you do need a vagcom cable, or get a member to do it for u... botton of page:
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-...no-hiss-6.html

  7. #6
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    37
    Would be very interested in reading the thread about hiss, I'm having a few issues with my satnav low and Bose?

    Also with regard to the trick on the BNS-E, not sure the same logic applies to my BNS 5.0, also does anyone know how to get the DIS to keep the same display you were using before you switch the ignition off.

    Everytime I start my car my DIS defaults to the NAV display, any way round this?

  8. #7
    quattro81's Avatar
    All the gear.. No idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by pherbert View Post
    Would be very interested in reading the thread about hiss, I'm having a few issues with my satnav low and Bose?

    Also with regard to the trick on the BNS-E, not sure the same logic applies to my BNS 5.0, also does anyone know how to get the DIS to keep the same display you were using before you switch the ignition off.

    Everytime I start my car my DIS defaults to the NAV display, any way round this?
    Thats a good question, mate.. I'd be interested to know this too, I'm sure it used to stay on what it was set to with just the concert (no satnav).
    Nige will probably be along at some point if there's any way of doing it, he'll be the man who knows
    Red is the colour..

  9. #8
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    37
    Hopefully someone knows a resolve!!

  10. #9
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,029
    Defaults to nav usually if you have a route still programmed in from my usage anyway, as I was testing a new dvd recently for issues & left it on a route permanently & each time got in the car it started the nav directions again, but normally the dis defaults to the current/last used audio source afaik, although I may have missed a beat, doesnt yours Chris?

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  11. #10
    quattro81's Avatar
    All the gear.. No idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Defaults to nav usually if you have a route still programmed in from my usage anyway, as I was testing a new dvd recently for issues & left it on a route permanently & each time got in the car it started the nav directions again, but normally the dis defaults to the current/last used audio source afaik, although I may have missed a beat, doesnt yours Chris?
    Sorry for the slow reply mate.. It's the centre section of the dis that is always showing what road you're on/ direction heading, obviously I can change it back to digital speedo with the wiper stalk, but it reverts back every time I start my car... I think Nigel might be right tho - if there is a route programmed in it goes to nav even if guidance has not been started.... I'll have a mess with it in the morning, but I think that's what happens?
    Red is the colour..

  12. #11
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,029
    Chris, we need to talk about that mate as unless you have a route started it shouldnt show default nav screen afaik, but then again maybe newer clusters do, urrrm we'll be talking tomorrow or soon mate as back sunday.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  13. #12
    audigex's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    555
    Mine (3 weeks old) never goes to the nav screen on DIS: it defaults to the media mode (whichever RNSe is on, which is whatever I had it on when last started) and then usually swaps to bluetooth as my phone pairs up a few seconds later.

    While we're talking about RNSe tricks, is there one to make it keep "mix" turned on with my SD cards? It keeps repeat, but it turns mix off every time I start the car.
    Ibis White A3 Sportback Black Edition.
    2.0 TDI (170) Quattro
    Pics


  14. #13
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by audigex View Post
    While we're talking about RNSe tricks, is there one to make it keep "mix" turned on with my SD cards? It keeps repeat, but it turns mix off every time I start the car.
    I would also like to know if it is possable as having to switch "mix" on every time is a bit of a pain but something im getting used to !

  15. #14
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    37
    I have played around using the various methods mentioned above, all to no avail with BNS 5.0/Bose setup!
    Would like the DIS not to default to Nav and also for all the hissing and volume up and down problem to be sorted!
    I must get back to my dealer for a resolve! Does anyone have this setup??

  16. #15
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    389
    If you turn off compass in the RNS-E settings the DIS will no longer default to the nav/compass mode. Obviously though you get directions back in the DIS when using NAV mode in on the headunit. Hope this helps.
    Work: A3 Sportback Black Edition 2.0TDI Home: A4 Avant 2.0 TDI Quattro S-Line

  17. #16
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
    I was thinking the other day why some people's screens start up on sat-nav, some on radio etc. and from a previous thread found out that there's no way to change it. So I was fiddling with the RNS-E the other day and found that there is a way (and apologies if most ppl know this or if it's in the manual, but I couldn't find it there).

    Basically if you want to start up the system on maps, hold down the maps button (bottom right) whilst switching off the whole system. On switching on the system now it should start up on maps. Same thing with Radio. I get really annoyed when I always have to press the Memory button to start up on my favourites. Hold down the memory button whilst holding down the on/off switch. Then when you next start the car it should start the RNS-E in this position. Neat little trick huh? So glad I found it as I was getting quite p*d off that my system was always starting up on the Navigation input screen.
    tried this last night but didn't seem to work well it does start up on radio that but worked but it won't start up on memory station

  18. #17
    Boon's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    South East Kent
    Posts
    405
    Mine starts up on whatever it was on when the key is taken out??

    Although it blasts out every time the key goes back in, and would really love to turn off the 30 min timer....

  19. #18
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    65
    Any ideas guys?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. RNS-D to RNS-E adapter harness, HELP on finding one please!! :-)
    By Az in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24th July 2011, 20:24
  2. What a surprise!!!!
    By Sock in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 30th March 2011, 13:24
  3. Nice surprise
    By voorhees in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1st January 2009, 21:03
  4. Neat little Sunvisor - Just found after 4 months!
    By h3msy in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 19th July 2004, 13:33
  5. Morning surprise
    By RSAudi in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18th September 2003, 12:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO