Surprise finding with the RNS-E ! Neat little trick!

SR-71

Reaction score
I was thinking the other day why some people's screens start up on sat-nav, some on radio etc. and from a previous thread found out that there's no way to change it. So I was fiddling with the RNS-E the other day and found that there is a way (and apologies if most ppl know this or if it's in the manual, but I couldn't find it there).

Basically if you want to start up the system on maps, hold down the maps button (bottom right) whilst switching off the whole system. On switching on the system now it should start up on maps. Same thing with Radio. I get really annoyed when I always have to press the Memory button to start up on my favourites. Hold down the memory button whilst holding down the on/off switch. Then when you next start the car it should start the RNS-E in this position. Neat little trick huh? So glad I found it as I was getting quite p*d off that my system was always starting up on the Navigation input screen.

Reactions: Jay.Ing
Hi mate you should try this with the volume button ,to see if you turn it down it stays like that on start up ...:)

Good idea! That auto-volume thing (and hiss) is driving me so mad I wanna sell the car and go back to BMW! lol

Hi mate you should try this with the volume button ,to see if you turn it down it stays like that on start up ...:)

I dont have RNS-E, but on my Chorus the volume does start up at a pre-set level and I cant make this lower than about 1/5th of the scale or mute. Also, when I turn on the headlamps to sidelights after starting up the car, the radio makes a buzzy / hissing sound for a couple of seconds.

SR, Is this what you get in your car? It would be nice to know if I've got a stereo issues or whether I'm not alone!

(Hope this isn't a thread hi-jack, but I haven't seen the issues mentioned before and I didn't think it worthwhile to start a specific thread)

Good idea! That auto-volume thing (and hiss) is driving me so mad I wanna sell the car and go back to BMW! lol

Would be very interested in reading the thread about hiss, I'm having a few issues with my satnav low and Bose?

Also with regard to the trick on the BNS-E, not sure the same logic applies to my BNS 5.0, also does anyone know how to get the DIS to keep the same display you were using before you switch the ignition off.

Everytime I start my car my DIS defaults to the NAV display, any way round this?

Would be very interested in reading the thread about hiss, I'm having a few issues with my satnav low and Bose?

Also with regard to the trick on the BNS-E, not sure the same logic applies to my BNS 5.0, also does anyone know how to get the DIS to keep the same display you were using before you switch the ignition off.

Everytime I start my car my DIS defaults to the NAV display, any way round this?
Thats a good question, mate.. I'd be interested to know this too, I'm sure it used to stay on what it was set to with just the concert (no satnav).
Nige will probably be along at some point if there's any way of doing it, he'll be the man who knows

Defaults to nav usually if you have a route still programmed in from my usage anyway, as I was testing a new dvd recently for issues & left it on a route permanently & each time got in the car it started the nav directions again, but normally the dis defaults to the current/last used audio source afaik, although I may have missed a beat, doesnt yours Chris?

Defaults to nav usually if you have a route still programmed in from my usage anyway, as I was testing a new dvd recently for issues & left it on a route permanently & each time got in the car it started the nav directions again, but normally the dis defaults to the current/last used audio source afaik, although I may have missed a beat, doesnt yours Chris?
Sorry for the slow reply mate.. It's the centre section of the dis that is always showing what road you're on/ direction heading, obviously I can change it back to digital speedo with the wiper stalk, but it reverts back every time I start my car...:think: I think Nigel might be right tho - if there is a route programmed in it goes to nav even if guidance has not been started.... I'll have a mess with it in the morning, but I think that's what happens?

Chris, we need to talk about that mate as unless you have a route started it shouldnt show default nav screen afaik, but then again maybe newer clusters do, urrrm we'll be talking tomorrow or soon mate as back sunday.

Mine (3 weeks old) never goes to the nav screen on DIS: it defaults to the media mode (whichever RNSe is on, which is whatever I had it on when last started) and then usually swaps to bluetooth as my phone pairs up a few seconds later.

While we're talking about RNSe tricks, is there one to make it keep "mix" turned on with my SD cards? It keeps repeat, but it turns mix off every time I start the car.

While we're talking about RNSe tricks, is there one to make it keep "mix" turned on with my SD cards? It keeps repeat, but it turns mix off every time I start the car.

I would also like to know if it is possable as having to switch "mix" on every time is a bit of a pain but something im getting used to !

I have played around using the various methods mentioned above, all to no avail with BNS 5.0/Bose setup!
Would like the DIS not to default to Nav and also for all the hissing and volume up and down problem to be sorted!
I must get back to my dealer for a resolve! Does anyone have this setup??

If you turn off compass in the RNS-E settings the DIS will no longer default to the nav/compass mode. Obviously though you get directions back in the DIS when using NAV mode in on the headunit. Hope this helps.

I was thinking the other day why some people's screens start up on sat-nav, some on radio etc. and from a previous thread found out that there's no way to change it. So I was fiddling with the RNS-E the other day and found that there is a way (and apologies if most ppl know this or if it's in the manual, but I couldn't find it there).

Basically if you want to start up the system on maps, hold down the maps button (bottom right) whilst switching off the whole system. On switching on the system now it should start up on maps. Same thing with Radio. I get really annoyed when I always have to press the Memory button to start up on my favourites. Hold down the memory button whilst holding down the on/off switch. Then when you next start the car it should start the RNS-E in this position. Neat little trick huh? So glad I found it as I was getting quite p*d off that my system was always starting up on the Navigation input screen.

tried this last night but didn't seem to work :( well it does start up on radio that but worked but it won't start up on memory station

Mine starts up on whatever it was on when the key is taken out??

Although it blasts out every time the key goes back in, and would really love to turn off the 30 min timer....