Back box delete on 2.0TDI

Ash187

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys, So after seeing a few people here have had their back box deleted I decided that I too will try it out...
I picked up a replacement pipe with tips already welded on from one of our own members here reddejavu who may I say has a very beautiful and scary white S3!

Here is the replacement pipe:
IMG-20120313-00073.jpg

Very nice tips:
62dac33e.jpg

So after having these sitting in my bedroom for a couple weeks I finally had some spare time and went round to a local garage who do welding work and had them measure up and cut off the back box and replace it with the straight pipe:
IMG-20120326-00123.jpg

The guys at the garage tried their best to line it up perfectly straight and I asked for a little poke just so that it's a little noticeable an easier to clean up.
So here is what it now looks like: (ignore the scuff on the rear bumper)

066bad8b.jpg

2d43a82c.jpg

531b82b3.jpg

The final impression of this mod is fantanstic! The bit that I am really impressed by is that when idle or just toddling around town the exhaust doesn't sound any louder but when I floor it the roar from the engine is now noticeable, and then there is the noise it makes as you change gears... The wooing sound as the turbo spools is so addictive I find myself revving it just to hear the noise. The other benefit I have noticed is that I am no longer leaving big clouds of smoke behind me, this is probably as there is no box now for it all to gather up so whatever smoke there is just comes straight out of the tail pipes everytime I floor it :)
Well here is a video I got of the sound from the exhaust whilst revving it. Also bare in mind that my car has no engine mods at all... No map on it, it's a completely standard 2.0 TDI 140 BKD engine:

[video]http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/itwasntme187/My%20Audi/2736a370.mp4[/video]

Thanks for reading

Reactions: Tommy53, ryanstewart9, BradHatton and 2 others
Ash, it sounds amazing. I bet your grinning when out driving. :)

What are you doing with your old tailpipes? Could be interested as I want to get rid of the downward facing pipes on my SB.

Looking spot on mate! Was pleasure to speak to you and its really nice to see the pipe doing their job by making you happy:] My missus were not so keen with the extra sound when it was fitted to mine though!:lmfao:

I can confirm after meeting Ash last weekend that his car certainly does sound good (for a diseasel anyway :p).

On a side note, Ash still has footwear issues, hell, you can can even see his trainers in the reflective shots of his rear bumper lol.

Ash, it sounds amazing. I bet your grinning when out driving. :)

You know actually when your inside the car you can barely hear anything... another plus point!

That sound incredible!!

Cheers mate, highly recommend this mod!

What are you doing with your old tailpipes? Could be interested as I want to get rid of the downward facing pipes on my SB.

Sorry mate already been sold on

Looking spot on mate! Was pleasure to speak to you and its really nice to see the pipe doing their job by making you happy:] My missus were not so keen with the extra sound when it was fitted to mine though!:lmfao:

Cheers mate, i loved your S3 and the launch control is really scary!

Sounds very nice, its a tempting mod!
GO get it done!!
I can confirm after meeting Ash last weekend that his car certainly does sound good (for a diseasel anyway :p).

On a side note, Ash still has footwear issues, hell, you can can even see his trainers in the reflective shots of his rear bumper lol.

Cheers bro! you know you :wub: my trainers :friends:

Sounds good, have you had anyone listen to it in another car while driving?

Out of curiosity, what impact does this have on your MOT?

From what i have been told this does not affect the MOT at all

Sounds good, have you had anyone listen to it in another car while driving?

yh the girlfriend was behind me in her car just after i had it fitted and she said that it looks OEM but its sound is noticeable when i pull away. I dont expect it to be massively loud and i dont want it to be either.

Sounds.... tempting!
Where can I get that?

Reactions: Sheikh
Sounds great! glad your enjoying it and in the video you said 'Harder'? lol what on earth were you doin? :uhm:

Reactions: RedDejavu
Ha no worries buddy, happy that you liked it! We need to get auto-lights/wipers done at some point although have just bought a car for my missus so I'm skint to F***. Will get in touch with you later next month though!

Hi,

Nice sound mate.
Now you need to consider for a 3 inch exhaust system. :p

Cheers

You got it done!, told you you'd get addicted to putting your foot down ;)

I love that sound, I want to do it to mine now haha, couple questions, where can you buy the pipe? How much? anddd can you weld the tips off of the old box on?

I also have the 2.0 TDI 140 (BKD) have you got anymore plans for it?

Hi,

Nice sound mate.
Now you need to consider for a 3 inch exhaust system. :p

Cheers

nah mate, i like the system just the way it is... looks OEM but sounds lovely... like i said my car has no engine mods

You got it done!, told you you'd get addicted to putting your foot down ;)

yh bro! i love the sound. my GF's sister was in her car following me today and she was like what is that noise from your car :p

I love that sound, I want to do it to mine now haha, couple questions, where can you buy the pipe? and how much?

not sure... try custom exhaust places... i heard that they can go for up to £100 in some places, though i got mine read my blog for much cheaper

anddd can you weld the tips off of the old box on?

i dont understand what you mean by that, if you mean reuse the old tips then no as the old tips are not actual tips.... they are just 2 pipes coming out of the backbox.

I also have the 2.0 TDI 140 (BKD) have you got anymore plans for it?

ahhh bless.... this one is a virgin to our forum.... dont worry mate soon you will understand that this place is a money pit and you wont stop modding your car!
read my blog in my sig to see what i have done so far.... i have a good few things planned and some already in the pipeline :ninja:

Am going to do this before remap, turbo should spool quicker!

Hey guys, I did this today and I lost a lot of sound...? I can't hear the turbo whistle anymore unless I really red line it. Do you think geting a Decat would help with the sound? Although the car does feel more responsive now.

Hey guys, I did this today and I lost a lot of sound...? I can't hear the turbo whistle anymore unless I really red line it. Do you think geting a Decat would help with the sound? Although the car does feel more responsive now.

What engine size and is it a petrol? :think:

Yeah, oh well on the hunt for a used milltek exhaust now.

are you revving it right? i thought the same until i learnt how to do it.
the turbo starts up at 2.5k rev so you need to floor it just past that up to 3k and then just let go and you get the noise i have in the video.
if you still dont get that then there is something in your setup that isnt right.

Doesn't sound bad for a derv really nice to hear the turbo spooling, bit bad boy for me had my fill of loud exhausts on old golfs!

thats just it, its not loud! i hate those loud chavy exhausts. this just has that little whoosh noise in lower gears but i can barely hear it inside the cabin

Thanks, I will give it a try, I hardly ever rev it to 3k.

duhh i was recording the video!
it doesnt hurt my ears or give me a headache, and it only makes the noise in lower gears (1st and 2nd) so its good. once i hit 3rd i hear nothing different from what it was before

No it does sound subtle, the thing with exhausts is if theres a constant drone it gets tiring very quickly! and although it can be ace giving it the beans down your fav roads its a different story on the motorway for 2 hours!