S3 to 3.2??

nicks3

Reaction score
Current remapped S3 18 months old so do I keep until the new S3 eventually comes out or swap to a 3.2 S line DSG in the meantime.....that is the dilemma!

No too worried about fuel consumption.

Any thoughts?

Not bored at all, just wouldn't mind going to dsg to save on the gearchanges.

Just think 3.2 dsg until S3 comes could be fun. Just not 100% sure yet. What about resale when the S3 is out?

The S3 being a Turbo, would be slower off the Mark on Tickover compared to the V6

In a Everyday world the 3.2 would feel a better car in the city, as it has no Turbo to Lag it.

Im sure on a B road blast there would be nothing in it.

One thing that i a bit worrying with regard to the 3.2, theres an awfull lot of them second hand in the dealers, last time I looked most dealers had one in.

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that i a bit worrying with regard to the 3.2, theres an awfull lot of them second hand in the dealers, last time I looked most dealers had one in.

[/ QUOTE ]

That means they are popular then. You dont see all that many out and about though. I would guess I see more Evo's and Subarus than 3.2 A3's.

STEVE......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Ive only seen One 3.2 in Norwich sisnce i bought mine and it had been de badged.

I think its a car alot of people do not realise is there.

A Kind of Stealth Hot Hatch.
Just why i bought one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It feels kind of cult, don't you think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
theres an awfull lot of them second hand in the dealers, last time I looked most dealers had one in.

[/ QUOTE ]

But only 8 in the private classifieds for the whole of the UK. What does that tell you . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
..nice cars - but depreciating heavily already, as most big engined hatches do..

[/ QUOTE ]

Any car costing that much will depreciate heavily in it's first year. Regardless. (new GTI excluded) My 3 series coupe was worse. The car mags list the 3.2 as having th best depreciation of the whole range @ 61%. Personally i think the TDI's will do better, but saying that, the old VR6's were always good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It feels kind of cult, don't you think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
theres an awfull lot of them second hand in the dealers, last time I looked most dealers had one in.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
But only 8 in the private classifieds for the whole of the UK. What does that tell you . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
[ QUOTE ]

It tells me that most dealers have you by the nuts as its difficult to sell a car worth more than £20k privately because most people need the credit garages offer

True the Ole 3.2 S LIne DSG Quttro may loose alot of money in the first 2 years, but By Heck Its worth every penny lost.

The DSG box is Fantastic, the Engine is just Instant Power at whatever rev range

and the Ride of the S Line suspension is Spot on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My only gripe is.................

Mine hasnt got Xeons headlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

PS
the Half Leather just smells so good Every time you open the door, its like a WELCOME HOME note /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And then...

You can loose it so easily in a Supermarket Car Park !

It really is something special that normal people do not realise how good the Audi A3 3.2 V6 S line Quattro DSG really is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just hope Top Gear dosent do a Shoot out against other Hot Hatches, as the A3 would win Hands Down !!!

before i had my S3 chipped i had a off the line race with a 3.2 and there was nothing in it what so ever.

[ QUOTE ]
before i had my S3 chipped i had a off the line race with a 3.2 and there was nothing in it what so ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what i reckon too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

yep, the figures are more or less the same !!!! i would like a go now mine is chipped !!

[ QUOTE ]
..nice cars - but depreciating heavily already, as most big engined hatches do.. Can only imagine it'll get worse when the new S3 comes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good time to buy second hand then? There's a 3.2 in Audi Hull, fully specced up, going for £23k with just 12 months and 9500 miles on it.

I got offered a brand new 3.2 S-line from the dealer for £23k. Think it was blue though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

humm, i recon there would be quite a difference as i now have an extra 40+bhp and 80ft/lb torque than before !!!!:)

Got to admit I would quite like a 3.2 now, I don't do many miles so fuel would not be a real problem, 'which' car mag lists it as one to avoid but what do they know ? Since when did you buy an Audi with your head and not your heart ! But I think it's worth waiting to see what they come up with on the S3. I have fallen in love with the sound of the V6 and have often promised myself a 'large' engined car, who knows....

Time to wake up the Mrs would do her fruit I 've only had this car 3 months, maybe next year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
humm, i recon there would be quite a difference as i now have an extra 40+bhp and 80ft/lb torque than before !!!!:)

[/ QUOTE ]

I reckon someone should organise a Santa Pod meet again [Rich usually]. And have Stock A3 3.2's vs Stock S3's. And then Stock A3 3.2's against chipped S3's, and so on. Finally settle this discussion - in a gentlemanly manner of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is me (silver S3) vs Daz (green S3 210bhp) a couple of years ago. Needless to say, Daz got his S3 chipped after 3 races like this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Right click link and click save as...

ALBvsDAZ.wmv

That was of course when my car was performing as it should, and not putting out 200bhp as it is currently doing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif f###ing sh#te!

Personally, I think in 1st and 2nd gears there wouldn't be much in it. But with any drag race its reaction time and best start which first gets the upper hand, but also 3rd gear and 4th gear pull from the engine could still win it on the line. If you get what I mean.

AL

Agreed, an S3 - 3.2 confrontation would be close, and would depend largely on how tight the turbo's hoses are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

I say screw the numbers etc. The difference lies much more in the power delivery. 4cyl turbo and 3.2 VR6 just don't compare...

[ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine has just bought a S3, hes about to have it chipped and then we will DUEL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Found you Brian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

the duel may have to wait until i get back from Le-mans, the missus tells me I need to keep an eye on the pennies !

Ah, a fellow Le Mans'er....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
Fancy a duel in Arnage on Mad Friday ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Keep a look out for us...'Team Ding Dong'

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, a fellow Le Mans'er....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
Fancy a duel in Arnage on Mad Friday ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Keep a look out for us...'Team Ding Dong'

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif Will do ! (first time i've been but I like beer and I like motorsport, apparantly its there in eqaul quantites !!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif

Indeed,
Beer, Motorsport and not forgetting The Hawian Tropical Girls........ its the best fun you can have in a weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
Make sure you are there for 'Mad Friday' and the Grand Parade.
Where abouts are you camping ?

Booked through Airtrack. VIP apparantley, but I guess that just means less skiddies in the bowl of a morning !!
(Did cost £530 for 2 of us though !) Get there Thur night and staying till Sunday night

the 3.2 is a great car. I tried an S3 225, and much prefered the 3.2 imo.(flamesuit on!).
they are both great cars but the chassis is better on the newer model in my view .

The 3.2 will leave the S3 at the lights, with Matt waiting for his little Turbo to Spool up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LOL !! Flame Suit on ! LOL !!

Yep you found me mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dont think theres a suit that can protect me from the flames here but heres my honest opinion:

unless moneys no object, i'd wait till the next s3/rs3 is out - cos when it does, its gonna severely kick all other A3 and S3's butts. As much as we all like the a3 3.2dsg, its not a S or an RS model, and without a tasty amount of modification, it wont compare to the new one either - Audi will make sure of that.

true, but it depends how many times you believe that the S3 is being released **place a date during the next year here** every time you hear it... I've heard it since I bought my 3.2 a year ago!

The tt mob have pretty much investigated the differences between the chipped 225 1.8T engine and V6 3.2. The chipped 1.8T wins. Similarly the chipped s3 will win against the r32. Great engine and loads more soul than the 1.8T, but ultimately fails when put up against the chipped variant. Plus nose heavily engine harms performance. Uprate the arbs on an chipped S3 and you will not only be faster but also out handle the r32.

All depends what youre looking for in a car I suppose. For me the 3.2 is just ideal, I can safely park it when we go biking and dont worry about it being there when we return. It doesnt attract any attention. Its probably the most insignificant looking quick car thats about.
If I was just after the quickest then the S3 or RS3 route would be the best.

But when?????????????

agree with Steeve on that statement, this is why i bought the 3.2 its one hell of a Hot Hatch, but stealth.

YOu can park it up in a car park and only the real die hard can spot the Quattro badge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

same here... audi is all about "understated confidence" and the 3.2 is the pinical... that being said, if the new S3 came out I'd be up for a test drive! The 3.2 is the first car I've had where you can cruise as well as 'boot it'. It apeals to both the angel on one shoulder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif and the devil on the other /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Great opinions. I have just tired of waiting for the new S3. Getting my 3.2 sline dsg early September and may look to swap against the new S3 if I like the look of it, when it eventually comes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif