Rear Mat Clip broken

Odhran

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

As this is my first thread it would be rude not to introduce myself, I'm Odhran from Derry in the north of Ireland.
I have a 2011 A3 1.6 tdi Sport in Glacier white, just last week I was hovering the car and realized that both carpet clips in the rear passenger side seat have broken.

As the car isn't even 6 months old with only 5k on the clock would this be put down to wear and tear or would I have grounds for a warrenty claim? Does anyone have any experience of similar scenarios? I'm a little disappointed to be honest that it has broken on a car so young. The back seat wouldn't be heavily used either.

Answers on a postcard please?

Best regards.

Odhran, welcome to the forum. Many cars sold as new do not have the rear removable carpet option, and so the clips that protrude from the floor to latch onto the removable carpets are rather vulnerable. I guess someone with big boots at the dealers could damage them. If you have had this car from new, I would make a warranty claim right away. Not heard of this happening before, but I am sure it has. Good luck.

It's a pity my closest dealer is 75 miles away. Thanks for the reply gerald! I have the carpet mats in place but I guess the damage occurred with people pivoting on the mats to enter / exit the rear of the vehicle.

I must take and upload photos tomorrow to show the damage.

3f2ec4dc.jpg

4400a3ad.jpg

706acf5b.jpg

The offending objects.

I would imagine warranty should cover it. It's not a big problem but one of those annoying niggley ones that you know of so will bug you lol

Oh that crappy, how the hell did that lift out of the carpet so easily, has it ripped the carpet, as it shoudnt do, given the diameter of the upper plastic part against the lower being a vast difference.

Certainly go back to dealer as that is a weak carpet, no way its acceptable as most people dont place there feet that close to the edge given its uncomfortable like this huh, even so to push that out of the carpet would take some doing, you could damage the top rather than pull it out like that as whole no?

It hasn't ripped the carpet no, it's as if the narrow small plastic part that goes below the carpet that has the 'male' carpet holder has snapped, NHN.

I was shocked at this damage already to be honest, waiting on a call back from the dealer. You're spot on Graham, I'll lose no sleep over it but as you say, it's just one of those little niggly annoying issues with a car :)

Ah gotcha now, I know the mat part has a male/female part, but not the floor plastic part, if its come apart which pic looks like, then simple solution is to lift up the plastic trim that goes down the side of the car, to gain access to underneath, see if the male part is under the carpet, feed it through the hole again, stick some superglue on the plastic & push them back together again.

I know this isnt really your job to do, but its gonna be the quickest way to get it sorted out fella.

They obviously come as 2 pieces & are 70p each in total.

Grand job! Thanks for the advice mate. I may sort it out myself, failing that I'll mention it to the dealer the next time it's in for a service

Thanks button bottom left of each post :p

Just an update I mentioned it to the the service dept today, it was declined as a warrenty fix as they deemed it damage rather than faulty. Obviously it is damaged but I don't think it should have broken so soon into ownership experience. Any thoughts? Let sleeping dogs lie?

Odhran,

You got car from Agnews id be demanding it fixed as they will lose business from you if not. speak to sales guy. could cost them £5 to fix rather than the price of a car not being bought from them.

I'll defo get the vag com onto your car next week bud as been flat out with work.
Cheers
Ruairí

Never had 1 broke on me in now 8 vag cars now that have at times been full of tools in footwells, computer parts, mechanical parts etc, so how they determine that is abuse damage is beyond me.

Given the fact the top/bottom pieces fixed to the carpet have actually come apart with no actual carpet rips, there is no way thats damaged imho, no way & I think you should show them this fact, the mat itself is intact & not damaged so they obviously came apart, if they cant see this fact then tbh IMHO they're stupid.

Never had 1 broke on me in now 8 vag cars now that have at times been full of tools in footwells, computer parts, mechanical parts etc, so how they determine that is abuse damage is beyond me.

Given the fact the top/bottom pieces fixed to the carpet have actually come apart with no actual carpet rips, there is no way thats damaged imho, no way & I think you should show them this fact, the mat itself is intact & not damaged so they obviously came apart, if they cant see this fact then tbh IMHO they're stupid.

agree with Nigel, in all the Audis and Volkswagen cars we've had in the family I have never seen this. That should be covered by warranty. If you get no joy with the dealer then call Audi Customer Services.