Newbie question - Auto acceleration?

Floob

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just got a 2010 A3 Sport and am finding it has a lot of bells and whistles over and above my old 1998 model!
One of them seems to be an auto acceleration at slow speeds, like an anti-stall or something?

Should it even be doing that? Its when I'm going slowly, or even up a gradient - its simply like it accelerates.
Something obvious I'm sure.... ?

Just about every car will try to not stall. Stick it in 1st and get going then take your feet off the pedals and it'll run at 800rpm. if you go up a hill it'll increase the revs to compensate. Works in every gear, but sometime the gradient is too much and the car will stall. Same as sticking an auto in D and then not touching the pedals. The car will drive itself to stop from stalling.

A lot of people sitting in traffic will get going in gear then let the car slowly pull them along, rather than waste more fuel accelerating then braking again.

The same mechanism means you burn more fuel coasting in neutral than in gear, as the engine uses a wee bit of fuel to hold the revs at 800rpm, rather than just using the momentum back the way through the gearbox to keep the crank spinning.