Volks AutosAH Fabrications
    bej
    Reverse Gear

Status

Question 1.4 TFSI bedding in period & MPG

Hi Folks,

Had a quick search but couldn't find a suitable answer, Google threw up too much conflicting answers so I'd thought I'd ask.
    I picked up a new MY2012 A3 Sport 1.4 TFSI yesterday (Love it!) after trading up form a 1.6 Petrol Technik - but the only negative so far is my fuel consumption is only about 38MPG on the motorway driving at 60MPH - whereas with with the 1.6 Petrol I was getting an easy 45MPG.

I expect some increase in MPG as the car settles in, its only done ~100 miles so far, but I'm concerned the MPG values for my style of driving from the off are too low. Any advice out there on how to treat / expect form my new engine?

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Do not baby the car, drive it normally. It needs to see boost to correctly bed in. I dont mean cane it everywhere but, babying it will make the bores glaze over and oil and fuel consumption to be on the highside

bej
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Cheers Byzan, I'll take that on board - I could definitely describe myself as babying it so I'll just enjoy the gas a bit more

Audi Heaven

Status
    As said drive it normally and don't be afraid to use the revs wisely. You will see an improvement in mpg as the miles go on...
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    Friend at work had one as a company car and never got any better than 38mpg and thats off
    the DIS so is most likely out by 5mpg

3rd Gear

Status
    I've got a 2.0 TDI, so not quite the same, but I found my mpg started to climb from about 500 miles and is still slowly increasing as I head toward 1,000. If you're not seeing an improvement after that long, I'd start to be concerned.
    Ibis White A3 Sportback Black Edition.
    2.0 TDI (170) Quattro
    Pics

Audi Heaven

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by daddycool View Post
    Friend at work had one as a company car and never got any better than 38mpg and thats off
    the DIS so is most likely out by 5mpg
    The DIS isn't 100% accurate but it wouldn't be 5-7mpg out!

The mpg for a 1.4TFSi will be less than the 1.6 anyway... More power normally means less mpg!
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

3rd Gear

Status
    The 1.4TFSI should be better than the 1.6 NA engine in both power and economy: the turbo isn't quite free power, but it's significantly "cheaper" than increased cylinder capacity.
    Ibis White A3 Sportback Black Edition.
    2.0 TDI (170) Quattro
    Pics

Born to Fish

Status
    At 70-75 mph on a motorway cruise mine will achieve 42 mpg 43-44 if theres not to many uphills and a few downhills
    tickle it along A and B roads at 40-45 mph and it will achieve 55 mpg on the DIS when my missus drives i tend to get somewhere around 44-48 mpg. A drive normally on A and B's without trying to get good fuel results in about 38 mpg.
    The little turbo whistles away nicely now after 18 months you struggled to hear it when new.
    Overall its a stunning little engine with good low down torque and is quite capable of a nice little sprint when required.
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.

bej
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for all the advice and replies, they're all greatly appreciated.
    For now I've vowed to take my eye of the MPG until at least 1000 miles and just enjoy the car - it is a fantastic little engine, very quiet, very smooth and offers alot better drive than the 1.6 Petrol I've come from.