S3's...How do they compare - New to Old??

dickibo

Reaction score
Hi y'all,

I currently own an '03 S3 with revo map, H&R springs, and few other little mods, so tend to frequent the 8L forum. But had/having a few electrical probs of late so thinkin of cutting my losses and plumping for an '07 S3...i would probably tweak that a bit too (Revo etc)!

Has anyone got experience of switching from old to new, how do they compare??...and is there a facelift mkII S3 to be aware of other than the Sportback??

Do it. I jumped from 8L (AMK) to 8P last May, and haven't looked back since. I think, at the time, the 8L was the better looking car, but the new one is better in every way except the cup holder is beside the handbrake so can be annoying with a bottle in it. That is literally the only down side I can think of. Every other aspect is better in the newer car, I was actually pretty amazed by how old mhy 8L felt immediately after sitting in the 8P. I don't have alcantara anymore, and the seats are heated but not electric, but hardly an issue unless you are changing the seat position a lot.

The new shape A3 came out with a split grill, known as 8P1. There was an A3 facelift in 06 that brought the single grille and that is when the S3 was introduced, this is known as 8P2.

In late 08 there was another purely cosmetic facelift, including new lights front and rear, foglight design, slightly updated buttons inside etc... but nothing mechanically different. This is the 8P3 model and that's when the SB S3 came out.

I had 2 8L S3's and absolutly loved them. One was running stage 2 and the other was standard. Loved the look and drive of them. Then one of my friends let me have a go of his standard 8P. After driving it I had to have one. Swapped in september last year for an 07 plate S3 now running Revo stage 2+ and nevr looked back since. Awsome car to drive

Do it you know you wanna. 265bhp as standard makes it one formidable cookie. Add to that afew wee tweaks as in remap, lowered slightly and whatever else you wanna do to it and you've got yourself a top notch motor. Im looking at a new one now and will probably remain with Audi for quite some time.

I've had a couple of the older A3s incl a 3.2 before eventually getting an S3.

From stock,it's a car that really needs a bit more power and better suspension.

A simple remap gives you a decent and quite brisk car,with the potential for a lot more if you want.
Stg2 or 2+ is as far as most go,but that's a good fast hatch with as much go as the majority will need.

Very good car.

Its a shame less effort was invested by Audi giving it some more muscle over the S-Line in the panel design, but technically it's a hugely accomplished car that with some well appointed mods can be made to trade punches with the best of the rest.

Of course the 8L hardcore fans will say its a bit tepid, but it depends what your after.

I wouldn't bother with stage 2, go stage 1 OR stage 2+ (3 in sharks case)

Cheers folks, well i took a test drive of an '07 8P. Very nice place to sit. Interior is finer than my old S3, though i think the piano black trim and cream Recaros in mine have aged really well and still look sharp.

Love the two-tone white on black leather in the new one, and the exhaust note sounds abit more resonant...so better. Similar power to mine as i've Revo'd (stg 1) it. But then, i would want to break the 300hp mark with a new one!

Anyone got any more opinions on the reliability of the 8P??... i've heard contradicting reports - is there any rule to finding a good one, i'v got sub 15k to spend??

Cheers folks, well i took a test drive of an '07 8P. Very nice place to sit. Interior is finer than my old S3, though i think the piano black trim and cream Recaros in mine have aged really well and still look sharp.

Love the two-tone white on black leather in the new one, and the exhaust note sounds abit more resonant...so better. Similar power to mine as i've Revo'd (stg 1) it. But then, i would want to break the 300hp mark with a new one!

Anyone got any more opinions on the reliability of the 8P??... i've heard contradicting reports - is there any rule to finding a good one, i'v got sub 15k to spend??

Finding sub £15k ones shouldn't be too hard,but you do need to make sure it's got a service history,and it's been well looked after or you can be in for some bills.

Mine has done 45 000 miles now,and has been totally reliable,even though most of the miles have been done at Stg2+(360bhp) or above.

Treat them well,and maintain regularly,and you'll get a good tough car,but if it's been mistreated or serviced irregularly,you'll get things like turbo,brakes,and other odds and ends to contend with.

If the car has been mapped,then service at 5 000 mile intervals and don't forget the HPFP cam follower.